1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.com Summer Report Card

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roxxy, Aug 15, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Houston
    Rockets
    Southwest
    2011-12 Team Rating
    OFFENSE DEFENSE
    102.8 102.1
    12th Overall 15th Overall

2011-12 Season Stats
    W 34
    L 32
    PCT .515
    GB 16
    CONF 23-25
    DIV 6-8
    HOME 22-11
    ROAD 12-21

CATEGORY
    Front Court GRADE C+
    Omer Asik was the big acquisition, literally and figuratively, a defensive-minded 7-footer whom Chicago coach Tom Thibodeau loved for his help and screens. He'll start here.

Backcourt GRADE C+
    Like Asik, Jeremy Lin was acquired thanks to a backloaded contract for the restricted free agent point guard. It is his job in Houston, now that Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowery are gone. Courtney Lee is in Boston now too.

Defense GRADE C-
    Asik should help at the rim, and he'll have to, considering the penetration that opposing guards will get if Lin and Kevin Martin are responsible out top.

Bench GRADE C-
    Draft picks Jeremy Lamb, Royce White and Terrence Jones bring youth and inexperience, while vets such as Toney Douglas, Gary Forbes, Josh Harrellson, Shaun Livington and Sean Williams bring limitations.

Coaching GRADE B-
    Even if Kevin McHale has a knack for teaching, it doesn't mean he'll enjoy it if it comes with losses. McHale didn't sign on for long haul, anyway, so a holding pattern will be a challenge.

Overall GRADE C-
    So much roster turnover, so little worthwhile to show for it. Rockets GM Daryl Morey was determined to be a player in the Dwight Howard derby and did what he could to round up as many young assets and appealing contracts to swap with the Magic. Oh well.
    Now he and the Rockets are stuck in something of a placeholder season, hoping to wheel and deal to something more tangible and formidable next summer. In the meantime, he'll hope to recreate "Linsanity" in Texas and work around Asik's stone hands offensively. It's not a plan as much as it is a plight.
    -- Steve Aschburner

Explanation of Marking System
    A - SuperiorB - Above AverageC - AverageD - Below AverageF - Failing

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

3. JD88

JD88 Member

Wake me up when the season starts.

I would be shocked if Kmart isn't traded by then.

Our team will look a whole lot different.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yep. Very accurate and honest article if you take off the homer lenses.

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

"Oh no, we suck again!"

6. hahachui

hahachui Member

Top 5 picks here we come

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did not like the word 'stone hands' but might be the truth though

8. AFS

AFS Member

I think it's more like, "Oh God yes, we finally suck and are no longer just average."

9. Raven

Raven Member

Anything other than another 14th freaking draft pick is a step in the right direction.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Yea,but at least we are not the Magic!
    .....:grin:...:grin:...:grin:....:grin:

Summary

Apparently, the Magic were jealous of the NBA record that that Bobcats set last season, because they got an absolutely awful package in return for Howard.
    In a four-team trade that involved two other All-Stars (one of whom is the second-best center in the league and only 24 years old), the Magic got Afflalo, Al Harrington, Maurice Harkless, Nikola Vucevic and a bunch of non-Lottery picks.
    They didn't even get any long-term salary relief. The bad contracts of Glen Davis and Hedo Turkoglu are still on the books, while Afflalo has four more years on his deal and Harrington is guaranteed another $14 million.
    This team is going to be pretty bad for at least the next couple of years. And while new general manager Rob Hennigan might want to follow the model of his old team, what Oklahoma City did in building a championship contender -- drafting an MVP candidate and then again hitting home runs in the two subsequent drafts - is pretty impossible to duplicate.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

:eek:
    I didnt expect that a NBA.com writer spell "Lowery" instead of "Lowry".
    why dont they have someone that checks the spelling mistakes? (especially for last names).

and its not like Kyle is a scrub, that nobody knows his name, or that his name is hard to spell.

12. ClKent

ClKent Member

I agree with the grade. The tone of the summary was way off and the reasoning behind the grade. First off those rookies were be all accounts pretty decent picks so far. So there is a reason to watch the Rockets. These are not simply place holders. The grade is based on the direction of keeping Kevin Martin around. Simply making it seem like they are not rebuilding yet. They instead made it seem like those players they drafted are for trades only. They need to clear that stance up real quick and go all in on these youngs and this direction. Flexibility does not mean **** if nobody wants to come here. So go all in on rebuilding or this grade stands for Moreys entire team building process/direction/teams future/plans/methods of going about it.

1 person likes this.
  13. nono

nono Member

I don't understand at all how the Lin and Asik acquisitions have been both grades as C's. What would be a B and an A grade for these positions ? To get Chris Paul and Dwight Howard ? Smh.

1 person likes this.
  14. ClKent

ClKent Member

Exactly. Sounds like bitter New York talk again. If Lin had just reupped with the Knicks he would have given that move a B even though they just resigned him. On that I can guess he probably gave them a B for grabbing a 40 year old Kidd and fat Felton to replace Lin. Without even having to look. Am I right? If I am you can just completely right off anything he said.

15. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Do you know what kind of players our rooks have to be to get a 14th pick (likely 9th-10th seed)?

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So this is from the official web site?

Oh dear.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So last year was a step in the right direction then?

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'm fine with most of it, except I think our bench is very strong.(on paper at least)

19. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

We got the 14th pick last year...

20. dje243

dje243 Member

This guy didn't even mention D-Mo. It also amuses me that analysts don't recognize tanking when they see it. 4 high upside rooks and 3 first round draft picks with a high probability of a losing record is a bad thing? Plus you still have the expiring contracts of delfino and martin. I also don't understand why everyone thinks its imperative to dump our forwards. The way I see it, on a tanking team there's plenty of minutes to go around.

Lin, Douglas
    Delfino, Lamb ( Martin gone by all star break)
    Parsons, white, morris
    Patterson, dmo, Jones
    Asik, dmo

I think patterson and morris will also be gone sooner rather than later, even if they do take big steps forward. Which obviously opens more time up at the 3 and 4 for Jones and white.