1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sekou Smiths likes the idea of Carmelo to Atlanta Hawks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dakeem1, Aug 30, 2010.

1. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/08/30/summer-solutions/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Denver get:
    Josh Smith
    Jamal Crawford

Atlanta get:
    Melo
    JR Smith

What's your thoughts? Yes I would like Melo in a Rockets uniform, but it's difficult to dispute that this is a win for both Nugs and Hawks.

Crawford is a pretty big expiring, Josh Smith is still relatively young and would flourish with a point like Billiups. However, when the Nugs said they wanted young players, I was thinking younger than Josh Smith. Could Nugs pry away Horford? I doubt it, but this is a very plausable trade scenario.

Also, nugs want draft picks, Houston can trump the Hawks on picks, but it's hard to match on Josh Smith talent, plus Crafword is a bigger expiring than Battier or Jeffries alone (collectively, our 2 expirings are bigger but Crawford is also a great one year rental).

I'm in 2 minds, it is a smart trade, but I want to see a trade with the Rockets lol.

One more thing, is this thread worthy of being in the GARM? No mention of Rockets in the article, so I didn't post it there.

2. G-Money

G-Money Member

I'm not as excited about Melo as I was when the first rumor came by. The first day it was like a list of 3 teams. Now they have mentioned at least 15. Odds of us getting Melo are very slim.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know, I can see how some would think that a desirable trade. You get Josh Smith and an expiring contract in return for Melo. And you get rid of J.R. Smith. But I would think the Nuggets are sick of knuckleheads with more talent than brains. Josh Smith has a lot more talent than brains.

Further, the Nuggets would suck after this trade.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This trade makes sense to me. Denver gets to screw over Melo by making him spend the year in Atl. Atl dumps an unhappy Crawford and an inefficient Josh Smith. Denver gets back some value in Smith and Crawford. That is your starting SF and a great 6th man off the bench to replace J.R. And if Melo decides to bolt to the Knicks, he loses money unless he agrees to be S&T's by Atlanta who gets back at least a huge trade exception to use to acquire another player. And Melo gets to knock heads with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh for one season before he decides to bolt. Atlanta, on the other hand, gets a season to try to win over Melo and convince him to sign the max extension that gives him the absolute most guaranteed money. Everybody has to give, nobody gets exactly what they want, but everybody gets something.

I hope it happens.

5. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Wow I could see that happening they could challenge the heat

Melo
    Joe Johnson
    Harford (big year IMO)

Vs.

LeTravel
    Wade
    Bosh

Still think heat would win but hawks could give them a challenge

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Half of NBA teams now on Melo's list.

7. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

No chance really, in the end only Boston and potentially Orlando can challenge Miami in the East.

8. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

This article never said that Hawks are on Melo's list. This is simply an idea from Sekou Smith. However this idea does make sense for both teams.

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Wow.. This is really getting out of hand.. What team in their right mind wouldn't want Carmelo???

I hate speculation in the offseason.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

The Heat ... :grin:
    Melo with the Hawks would be nice ...

PG: Bibby
    SG: Johnson
    SF: Melo
    PF: ?
    C: Al Horford

11. Ballin_Rocket

Ballin_Rocket Member

this trade makes not even a bit sense for the nuggets. do you think they will contend for the title with smith and crawford :eek:
    if they trade melo there's no other choice but the rebuild for them...

12. Siu0410

Siu0410 Member

This deal wouldn't make any sense for Denver at all..
    Why would they want another PF?
    Since they are in rebuilding mode, they are probably looking for cap relief and young blood.

13. Coherent

Coherent Member

I doubt Morey is entirely interested in Melo. Morey is a huge numbers guy, and while 29 ppg looks great, his other numbers lack. The acquisition would still be a good one, and Morey knows that, but I doubt he gives up guys like C-Bud and Hill who have so much potential, for a guy he isn't fond of.

Then again, I don't know what he is thinking, but based on Morey's technique, Melo doesn't seem like a player he would go after.

14. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

That's because he haven't acquired someone of Melo's caliber yet. We made this big push for Bosh, and I was all for it, but Melo is better. Whoever doesn't want him on our team does settle for mediocrity, or don't watch the NBA enough outside of the Rockets.