1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sam Smith suggests an Asik-for-Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

But a good center's harder to get than a good guard. Not saying that it would be a straight up trade but not out of the realm of possibility. That being said, it would be a horrible fit for the Rockets.

2. ed_tx

K-Low will do anything to get Lin off the Rockets... hilarious!

Hey K-Low, would you do Asik for Felton? Or better yet, Asik/Lin for Felton/Stoudemire?

1 person likes this.
  3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Not really my stance on things, Lin is a nice piece to our team, he isn't an all star but he is in the tier of guys under that. My beef with Jeremy is he isn't a PG he is a combo guard, and I just prefer a team to be run by more of a pure point so I like guys like Lowry, Dragic, Rondo, CP3 (if he didnt flop so much) he is improving nicely and he is terrific coming off the bench, but because we have Harden (also a combo guard) and he is the future of the Rockets having Lin is a little redundant that is all.

I don't have any problems with Lin he is a great dude and a pretty damn good B-ball player .

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

All of these are real concerns that I would want checked out before we actually got a deal done, but in a hypothetical world I love the idea of adding a true PG alongside Dwight and to cut down on the Harden Iso stuff.

1 person likes this.
  5. dudeimfromhtown

we have 3 starting caliber point guards no need for rondo who has no offensive game at all

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

He has run a championship offense bro... He makes other guys better! Just because he isnt a great scorer doesn't mean he lacks an offensive game. Look at Rubio in Minnesota he is helping Love have a MVP caliber season so far and he doesnt even have to score a point.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I don't think Brooks is starting calibre anymore, and I've always been a big fan. If he isnt shooting well hes a huge minus given his defence

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket! I mean we only have Lin, Bev, Aaron Brooks and Canaan on the team, what we need is another pg! Also Rondo happens to be FA and is looking for a starting gig/lots of money so the chances of us keeping him is actually quite high. I mean, he's only effective with the ball in his hands and trading him means we lose the only backup C we have but hey, it's a great trade :rolleyes:

If we really want a trade with Boston then how about Khump+Bostons unprotected pick next year? Khump's overpaid but he can play both PF and C spots well, and we can use the pick to get someone better in the draft.

10. ed_tx

Totally cool. The forums here for us to discuss our differences of opinions, right? As for the guys you named, I would only like CP3 over Lin. Lowry, Dragic and Rondo are all too injury prone. Also, I don't think they would be much of an upgrade over Lin/Bev. I don't think Lin is a combo guard. He's played PG for most of his career right? He averaged over 6 assists per game the last 2 seasons. And with us, he was sharing the ball with Harden and still racked up about the same number of assists as Tony Parker and Ty Lawson. If Lin given the reigns to be our full time PG and Harden would accept being the wing (like the scenario you would have if Rondo were here), I bet Lin easily gets in the Top 10 Asst leaders and even better, provides us with a guy who can shoot the 3 and hit FT's.

11. ed_tx

Which is why guys like Steve Novak flourished with Lin and now he's back to being a guy that barely gets off the bench. Lin was the one who got super nova his fat contract (well- fat in Novak terms). :)

12. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

don't know why people keep saying we need a 3pt. shooter at every position to fit Howard's game. DH12 is no Hakeem Olajuwon and we don't run offense through him. we have 3pt. shooters at the 2, 3, and even power forwards. Rondo has been the star PG that runs a championship team, i think he can only help our guys offensive game. i'd rather Rondo start the offense than Harden ball hogging style.

and we won't have too many starting caliber point guard because it won't be Asik-Rondo straight up. Beverley is sure to be included in any Rondo trade, and i think maybe DMo plus a 1st round pick has to throw in too. in return, we'll need a backup Center and the only possible candidate would be Victor Faveroni who is a young PF/C with great upside.

Asik + Beverley + DMo + 1st round pick for Rondo + Faveroni seems a good trade for both teams.

bring back Camby for the playoff and our lineup will be:

Howard, Faveroni, Camby
    T-Jones, Casspi, Smith
    Parsons, Garcia, Covington
    Harden, Lin, Brewer
    Rondo, Brooks, Canaan

if we don't at least play in WC finals coach should be fired.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Boston was willing to let go Rondo for Asik, then maybe another team would want Rondo and said team has something that helps us where we need it.

Its worth exploring if another team(s) is brought into the equation.

14. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

When will rondo be back to playing timev

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

People on this board are underrating Rondo. Which is funny because I always thought the media overrated him a bit, but damn you guys wouldn't do a Rondo-Asik swap? Morey would do that in a heartbeat.

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I don't know what you see in Kyle's game that makes you think he is a more pure point guard than Lin. Are you saying that because his offensive game isn't as good? I have seen every game Lowry has ever played as a Rocket, and I would say without a doubt that Lin is the better passer and playmaker.

17. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I thing the trade can be

Rondo + Faverani

For

Asik + Beverly

Rockets get an important upgrade at the PG position and a backup C
    And the Celtics get a top 5 defensive C and young PG with potential

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

When he is a playing at his best he is a pass first PG, now because of some of the situations he has been through in his career he has had to shoot more and that kind of distorts his play... I have a personal preference of a PG that can run an offense without having to shoot a bunch (probably because thats the type of basketball player I am cause I'm short and I can't shoot lol) and he has been that. Lin is more of a reckless player which is a huge reason why he is as good as he is, it's just I prefer not being on edge everytime someone brings up the ball because no single player distributes the ball effectively enough. And Lowry has the second lowest turnover% pct of the players I listed, only Paul is better at protecting the ball!

Lin is probably the better player, also he has more upside... But believe it or not despite my name, Dragic is actually my favorite of that list.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just have a dream of a Rockets team where I am not terrified of us turning it over every time we have the ball, call me crazy lol

Plus I have seen Rondo go out in the playoffs and control a team, I have seen Dragic go head to head with Russell Westbrook and get into his head so bad that RW has to be controlled by teammates, I've seen Lowry do the same, and Paul is probably the best floor general in the world.

I have my reservations on how well Lin can perform in a playoff situation, when the game slows down and there is more high pressure on ball defense. Is that completely crazy?

20. Raven

Raven Member

Has the national media ever made one trade suggestion that didn't end up seeing the Rockets get the short end of the stick? Pass on Rondo, because of health concerns, because of his shooting, because of his personality, and because the Rockets have more pressing needs.