1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Rockets’ Johnson aims to go from second round to the top

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rookie34, Jul 22, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Basically Courtney Lee 2.0

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I love his heart and passion. Fundamentally, he is much better at the PG than I anticipated. His troubles will be centered around his lack of an outside shot and that will take him a couple seasons to correct, but his ability to play in the open court should help him find a place on the team very quickly.

Btw, I hate the comparison to Parsons. Different players, different positions, different skillsets. NJ has a more uphill battle to climb in finding a rotation spot because of his positional change, lack of NBA ready jump shot and height. His ceiling also might be a bit lower, but that's hard to tell until we've seen some of the evolution in his game.

As it stands, he looks like a great pick for the second round and should find time fairly early into the season.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We wish.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

good comparison but I think he's got better body control than courtney ever had. While athleticism is on par, Courtney was more of a whirling dervish.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This is true, definitely one of Nick's strengths.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Your source is correct :grin:

7. SupeR2706

SupeR2706 Member

Does anyone else think he will end up on the vipers to begin the season and maybe get a call up through the season? With Bev, Cannon and Ish how will he get any time? They are already saying he is undersized at the 2 spot.

8. champstocome

champstocome Member

Lee is better on D and Nick Johnson is the better passer.
    I think nick johnson actually plays more like devin harris when he was younger.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We have ran dual PG lineups before so him being undersized shouldn't be a problem for our system. His real competition at this point is troy Daniels, IMO. I agree with you that he will spend much of the season in the D league.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He's already "channeling" his inner Chandler Parsons:

"I’ll tell you, there’s not 41 players better than me in this year’s draft. And I don’t know anywhere the player of the year has seven players in his same conference get picked before him."

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Its not douchey enough to be like CP25. A lot of people have said there is no way 41 players in the draft are better than he is. Even his former teammate Gordon isn't spectacularly better than Nick is. Johnson has a point here. It isn't straight up arrogant like the CP saying he's the best small forward in the series.

13. afk

afk Member

Wait about 3 years. And then the cycle continues.

14. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Let the countdown begin

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Before he goes to sleep every night, Nick Johnson recites the name of all 41 players drafted before him, with each name eliminated only after the player no longer plays professional basketball.

[​IMG]

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He reminds me a little of Deron Williams. Idk why.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lee can't create like Johnson. He's a unique player. Who knows what he could do with players like Harden and Howard behind him...

The one thing I will say about him is he seems a little eratic at times.. He will turnover the ball quite often or make a poor shot.

That's about it.

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I watched him and feel he needs to improve his handle at this point. Opposing PG's will pressure him into turnovers. So he will get a full dose of this from Pbev!

19. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

His explosiveness around the rim, defensive intensity, and confidence remind me of another 6'3" Arizona-bred combo guard -- Jerryd Bayless.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We really need for one or more of Daniels, Motiejunas, Canaan, Covington, or Johnson to take a big leap forward and exceed expectations. So far I'm liking what I am seeing of Nick Johnson.