1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.com Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bandwagon, Jul 21, 2014.

1. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

They did play very poorly but let's also not pretend they weren't a few bad ref calls away from winning some of those games.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Judging by end of the year play and off-season moves... Can't knock the rankings.

3. chandlerbang21

Or maybe Cleveland is still the same subpar team they were last season +lebron

4. chandlerbang21

Nah I will take that Dallas roster if all are healthy. That cleveland team won 25 games last year I think. With lebron they may win 40

5. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

that ranking is hilarious. no way mavs better than rockets and you can book it

6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

33 wins without Varejao and without Kyrie for a certain period of time. Varejao was putting up 17 and 15 before he got injured. If he's healthy they'll be better than the Mavs.

7. Dr Dunkenstein

Rockets let Lillard go 23-47 from 3 in their series. The Spurs held him to 4-23 from three in theirs.

The Rockets get no respect because of McFail. I like listening to him talk basketball. I really do. I do not like seeing his crappy half court defense. It is awful.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

LeBron and Wiggins make that team top 5. They deserve it more than overrated Dallas and GSW

9. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

Rockets lost to an inexperienced young team by the Blazers in the first round with homecourt, made downgrade or lateral moves, and ya complain ya too low in the power rankings. lol

10. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Does no remember how the Cavs were contenders prior to The Decision? Lebron did that by himself. This Cavs team is much better than that Cavs team, so I'm not understanding why they're getting this disrespect. He has Kyrie, Waiters, Wiggins or Love, and Varejao. That's a vast improvement over the 2009 Cavs. I don't think they will win the ship, but I think they'll come out of the East no problem. Oh and Cavs beat the Mavs 8/10 times.

11. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Nope, I think most people are fine with the Rockets' ranking. I'm fine with it at least. I do not agree with the Mavs ranking. Losing Carter and Calderon and adding Parsons is basically a wash (if not a negative). Felton is washed up. Tyson may return to form but he will most likely not. Even if he retured to DPOY form, I'd still say they are like 7 or 8. Rockets at 9 is fine with me.

12. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

You'll see that "pay cut" by Dirk will greatly improve that team by the end of the season.

13. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

If we had the Mavs coach we would be top three.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Rather be real champs than paper champs...

#2008-2009Rockets
    Yao Ming - breaks down during playoffs
    Tracy McGrady - mentally broke
    Metta World Peace - only real winner
    Scola - international winner
    Brooks - Laker killer
    Battier - the Glue guy
    Lowry - the bulldog
    Landry - mid range game

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

And they lost 5 key rotation players (Calderon, Marion, Dalembert, Carter, Blair). All of those guys except Marion (who played near elite defense) had PERs over 15 and the only for sure good replacement they got in return was Parsons and *maybe* Tyson Chandler. I personally think he's done. Is Jefferson gonna replace Carter's production? lololol. Felton gonna replace Calderon's production? LOLOLOL.

It's also worth noting, their team had insanely good health last year. Of their top 7 guys, none missed more than 4 games. That's crazy. For comparison, the Rockets top 7 almost all missed at least 10 games. Jones missed the fewest with only 6 games missed.

Basically, I doubt they are able to replace the production of those guys and I seriously doubt they're as healthy as they were last year.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

How? They are essentially capped out. Can't even re-sign Marion (unless he takes vet min)

17. jedicro

jedicro Member

Slight correction.

18. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

Too hard to explain.

19. jedicro

jedicro Member

I'll take that to mean you have no idea. The Dirk paycut was just to facilitate the Parsons contract. What they should have done was used his paycut to facilitate a smaller, more reasonable contract (say, Ariza) and then used the additional 7M to keep some of the guys they lost.

They're nowhere near as deep as last year, and their defense is even worse.

20. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

If one year i have dirk and another year i have dirk and chandler for the same price. I call that a win.