1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Hakeem on Dwight's 1st Game as a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 5, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/10/05/howard-debut-passes-dream-test/

Do you think there's a possibility that Dwight is getting mixed messages from the full-time coaching staff and Hakeem? From last year, we still have a pretty strong outside attack, and our team philosophy is to shoot a lot of 3s.

See the bolded part below:

[rquoter]

“What I did see tonight was him making his presence felt at the defensive end. He had it in mind at times that he wanted to dominate. That’s the way a big man has to think all the time.

“What I also saw were times when he passed the ball back out to a guard or someone else when he should have turned and taken the shot himself.

“I know he wants to fit in with his new teammates. I know this team has played a style where they ran and shot a lot from the outside. But the Rockets have a big man now. A real big man. An All-Star. The kind of big man who can dominate and take them places.

The significance of Howard entering his 10th NBA season is not lost on Olajuwon, who led the Rockets to a championship in his 10th year in the league.

“I can sit here and say that the team and Dwight can really think that way,” Olajuwon said. “It’s early. This is just a start.”
    [/rquoter]

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

He had 19 and 9 in 27 minutes. Seems about right to me. Is Dwight supposed to average 30 points this season? I don't think that will be in the best interest of the Rockets. Need some scoring balance with Harden. Need Parsons to be a factor. I like Dwight's rate of passing tonight.

3. wil55n

wil55n Member

I actually wondered this myself a few weeks ago...

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight was awesome, now he just needs the ball more. (Post->Re-post)

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

They'll figure it out as the season progresses. Dwight does give them the ability to get second chances on threes. And when he pulls in a double team our players are going to have tons of open looks.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I agree with Dream. Howard needs to have the mindset that he will abuse any single coverage, especially from scrubs. He needs to make teams double him which will open things up for everyone else.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yeah, it's all about the balance.

Howard shouldn't pass it out unless the double team comes.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream wants Dwight to have the same superior attitude that dream had.
    the master speaks

9. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

And dwight wants to show that he's going to be a great teammate, and not a ballhog.

It's only the 1st preseason game of the season. Let's check in again after 2 or 3 weeks into the regular season.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It took YEARS for Dream to learn to pass the ball and trust his teamates, and the Rockets didn't really become contenders until he did that.

Dwight is doing that already - we are GOOD to go.

DD

11. eomor131

eomor131 Member

Dwight got 3 assists!

12. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Dwight's been passing the ball very well both in practice and in game situations.

Now that he's healthy and outside of the LA media circus, look for him to dominate the game.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes,that's right. Harden and co will complement him. Dwight in Hakeem role,and Harden like Clyde is what I wish to see in time.

14. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

once you establish that you can dominate in the post, then things open up. dream is pushing d12 to the outer limits of his game. this is what happens when you ask a master to help d12. I don't see anything wrong with it.

if you look at the 3rd quarter, there were parts that the offense looked stagnant. this is where d12 could have stepped up and took over.

15. steady

steady Member

Liked this part too:

“What I saw from him tonight were many of the things that we have seen from Dwight earlier in his career. He was athletic. He was alive. But most of all, I think he looked like he is having a good time out there. He is happy and I can tell you from personal experience that means a lot. You need to know that your coach believes in you, that your teammates truly believe in you and that the city is behind you. I think after a couple of difficult seasons, Dwight has that again here in Houston.”

Welcome to Houston, Dwight.:)

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love that Dream is working with him, because I don't doubt that at some point he told Dwight exactly that. What he was saying here is that Dwight shouldn't over do it. If he has position, take advantage! While Howard is no Dream, to be sure, they do have some similarities. Dwight plays much bigger than he is. He's a leaper, like Dream, and has those long arms, with big hands, hands that can catch the pass. He's an elite rebounder, and an elite shot blocker, at least by the standards of today's league. Yes, it's preseason, but it's hard not to really get excited.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The more Dwight can dominate in the middle the more everything will be open for everyone else. It's not about balance it's about taking what is given. Hakeem never passed up an open shot. No matter if he was double or triple teamed, if he thought he could make it , he took it. Dwight should never pass an open shot. If that means he scores 30 a game great. The point is the open shots will become less because they double and then his next task will be to beat doubles. So they have to triple and then the fun begins. If he can pass out of doubles and triples the rest of the game gets easier for everyone else.

18. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How many bigs can any of us name who were so superior on O, so superior on D, such a superior shot blocker (and shot changer), and could and would do it all during heavy minutes night in and night out?

20. alethios

alethios Member

I think Finch had it right in that they are trying to run a read and react offense, but when the fourth quarter comes and defenses are tightening up, it's good to have a big man in the post to pass it to. We are moving in the right direction.