1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] For Rockets DMo What happens in Vegas shouldnt stay in Vegas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sugrlndkid, Jul 21, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

McHale was consistent in interviews he gave that DMo was not shooting 4 but he wanted to be. Charlie P would ask him about DMO shooting the 3 and McHale would say something like "Don't let him hear you say that. We don't want him convincing himself to be that type of player."

2. chandlerbang21

He played and he sucked next question?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes this is true, he needs to be on the block.

You would think McHale of all people would know that.

DD

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DMo also shot 4.6 threes a game on Prokom in only 31mpg before the Rockets ever drafted him. He shoots more threes per game than TJones, despite the latter being a starter next to Dwight. He clearly likes to play beyond the arc.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is true, but what do you do with him and Howard on the court at the same time? Do you move Howard out to long range?

Is D-Mo good/reliable enough yet to change up the Rockets offense to allow for more corner/princeton type of sets to get him and Dwight involved at the same time?

If D-Mo could get just a little bit better at protecting the paint, and defending without fouling, he's got huge potential with this team as a the backup 5 that they can run their offense through as a P&R big, & post up big. However as a guy playing alongside a big like Dwight, he's probably going to get tossed out to the corners as more of a stretch 4... which I don't think is his strong suit. He needs to be involved in the offense.

Hoping for a big year from D-Mo this year. If he can either get better at knocking down the 3, or get better defensively as a backup 5, I think the Rockets could be looking at the #4 through #5 player as far as overall importance of production goes.

He's very close IMO. Just need a little more improvement. Really rooting for him to make that jump. He's potentially much more important to this team than people realize.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree. I think he has a long way to go before I would consider him anything, but a 3rd center (mostly due to fouling). He might not be the best fit offensively next to Howard, but neither is Jones. If the Rockets don't add another PF, I think he has a good chance to be the starter.

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets are dumb for not giving Greg Monroe a look. He's easily better than every power forward on our roster.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We are limited in what we can offer him. That combined with Detroit's ability to match make it pretty pointless. Same goes for Bledsoe.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They need to stick him in the post like what JVG did with Yao. DO NOT let him come out. Force feed him with entry passes, until he gets it, until he gets into the habit of being a post player.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i watched DMo closely over the summer league, and i have to say, i'm just not sold on his ability to be a starter in this league. He's extremely athletic, but there is a fundamental awkwardness to his game that remains. I said the same thing about Jordan Hill and then he developed nicely into a sold front court player. I hope the same happens for DMo.

Ironically, it was his shooting that people touted coming out of the draft. I just haven't seen him shoot consistently. He really needs to improve his shooting and he needs to learn how to defend without fouling. I know it takes bigs longer to develop, but we really need to see some progress this year.

11. nobie

nobie Member

Unironically those ppl didnt knew what they where talking about. He was poor 3pt shooter in europe, and he continues to be poor shooter in nba.
    Some people who knew what they where talking about, said from the beginning his main strength is post-up.
    And Dmo did progress, you probably dont remember how thin he looked in his first year and how he literally had no defense at all. 2nd season was major improvement in his game. And for 20-30 games in row he looked very solid bench player.

12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Did you even watch the playoffs, or do you just like to post ****?

DMo didn't get to play a single minute in the playoffs.

#92 Billionzz, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  13. Normalus

Normalus Member

Would like to dissagree there. 53/86 (61.6%) FG, 5/13 (38.5%) 3PFG, 27/38 (71.1%) FT in 8 Vegas SL games. He has shown range also - couple of long field-goals, 3pters. Yes, he may hit very difficult shots and shoot a break or airball or two, but his FG% was consistant and he was over 50%FG in every single game escept finals (7/15).

65.8% without 3pters is hell of a good percentage with shots he makes. He already can dreamshake!

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

As much as I want DMo to be a stretch 4, he just isn't one.

[​IMG]

He's a backup center that's a good compliment to Howard on the defensive end. My guess is he will get the majority of the minutes at backup center while playing with Adrien or Dorsey.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

DMo will not reach his full potential as long as McHale is coach. LMA was torching everyone in the playoffs and yet McHale did not even try DMo on him. Agreed DMO is nowhere near a complete defender but if anyone has the length and speed to keep up with LMA, it is DMo. Heck try him for a few minutes eeing that no one else can keep up with LMA

The guy played his heart out during regular season only to see zero minutes in the playoffs. Very demoralizing to a young player. He pretty much said that in his exit interview. Something along the lines of he gave 110% and didn't know what else he ahs to do.

McHale is a curse to this organization. He does more damage than one can even imagine.

16. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

No Michael would rather try harden on LMA than DMO. It was pathetic

17. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If he can play back up minutes like gortat did during the Orlando days then we'll be real good. Dorsey just reminds me of Antoine Carr. Dorsey just needs to throw his body around draw fouls and be the pain for other big men. Let Le Marcus Aldridge know that if he tries to push, there will be pain to be felt. One or two Elbows to the face I guarantee Aldridge, Dirk, Duncan won't want the ball.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like DMo. DMo biggest weakness is reaching in on defense. The refs allowed LMA to use the rip move to get shooting fouls. I would have prefered DMo to Jones as the backup (granted DMo played poorly leading into playoffs so no too a big gripe from me), but the McHale probably made the best adjustment he could by playing Asik and Howard together a lot.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

D-Mo does not play a lot of minutes, because he usually plays like **** and racks up fouls too quickly. For those saying to keep force feeding him down low, when does that take place? The only time we should be doing this during a GAME is if Howard is sitting. D-Mo needs to figure his **** out on his own. We do not have the time to spend on this overrated scrub.