1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] For Rockets DMo What happens in Vegas shouldnt stay in Vegas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sugrlndkid, Jul 21, 2014.

1. 34to11

34to11 Member

Well played.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The most funny thing last season in a few situations when DMo was playing alongside Asik was that Asik got post up touches, not DMo. Funny how the game plan worked.

3. 34to11

34to11 Member

There are a lot of selective memories here.
    D Mo got every opportunity to claim the starting spot last season. He just wasn't ready.
    He got more chances as the season went on but inconsistency was his undoing.
    Foul trouble, poor defensive awareness, and weak rebounding were ongoing issues for him.

He's a pretty good offensive player who has shown a deft touch around the basket but, as a 7 footer, if you can't rebound, defend, or box out you won't see many minutes on any team.
    I know taking shots at McHale is the popular thing right now, but to say he didn't give D Mo an opportunity is just not true.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was pretty annoying. The worst was when the 2nd unit was out there with DMo and they posted up Casspi instead. I think they wanted to make him a stretch 4 instead of working towards his strengths, hopefully that changes this year.

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Because Parsons lacked that and wasn't coached by him.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it is worth to mentioned that DMo is a great defender of the PnR and plays very good team D.

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Dmo really has a lots of potential, but it's so sad he plays for the moron coach named McHale. If Dmo could play for Pop in Spurs, he would be amazing!!!

8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

McHale did nothing to our players' shortcoming. This is why he is so bad...

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Donatas MOTIEJUNAS

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I would've liked to see D-Mo given an opportunity to use his most potent skill.

11. platypus

platypus Member

Thats what happens when you try to shoehorn a skilled post player into becoming a stretch four. See mike dantoni and pau gasol.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

D-Mo has actually been somewhat successful using his length to deny entry passes and alter shots, he is a decent PnR defender and at the very least he gives all out effort whether on O or D. Jones gives ZERO effort on D except for shot blocking. And sometimes I am unsure if it is lack of effort or just ignorance with TJ. His athletic ability is all world but his lack of focus defensively is just as great.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

You're pretty dense I see.

Figures. The simple often use comparisons like the one you used above. I tried to put it in your terms but you still don't get it.

Let me break it down for you: just because a player has a similar whatever to another player means nothing.

Dmo isn't locked into being the next twill anymore than he's locked into being the next dirk.

You used hyperbole showing one end if the spectrum and I used hyperbole showing the other.

Smarten up guy.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Oh yeah and: clutchfans, where a player can't be ok or have potential after his first season. He either sucks or he doesn't. Durrrhhh

15. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

He reminds me of Chris Paul

16. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

DMo's biggest problem in translating his successful post play in the lower leagues to the NBA is that he gets pushed off the block and out of his comfort zone easily against NBA defenders. After he's pushed out he usually goes for the hook shot instead of a spin to get past his defender. But if he gets deep position or he catches a smaller defender on a switch, he looks great.

He's young and has solid footwork, so he should be able to improve by learning to deal with getting pushed out, but adding and refining post moves is tricky once you get to this level. Realistically, he's probably a couple of years away (and learning how to box out) from being able to contribute more then 15 mintues of bench play.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All he needs is consistent minutes.

DD

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He got some minutes last year. The minutes won't matter if he's being forced to do something he's not good at (shoot) while his most valuable skill (post game) languishes.

If you ask a player to do something he's not good at, he's usually gonna fail.

19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Houston, we have a problem if what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

:( :( :( :( :( :( -___-

20. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

He has a really good offensive skillset and I'm hoping his defense will come around this season. He's a hungry and talented player, but like others have said, it could be a mental thing when the regular season rolls around.