1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.com: Clint Capela completes Houston Rockets' cornerstone trio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Apr 17, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That Eurostep move works almost every time. It's just that Clint hardly ever uses it because it's not necessary in this offense given all the other weapons at D'Antoni's disposal. Honestly, I just want him to keep working on the free throws and maybe a baby hook in the lane.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Baby hook would be amazing with his speed and agility. Magic used that to great effect against larger defenders.

Deckard, Plowman and Rocket River like this.
  3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

One of my favorite plays from Game 1: Harden dumps the ball to Capela at the top of the arc and goes to the corner. Neither Harden nor Gordon comes to get the ball from Capela. Instead, Ariza comes to set a screen for him, and Capela Euro-steps to the basket. A designed play for our 5 to score like a guard. More nightmares for the defense.

dmoneybangbang, Deckard and topfive like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, with Capela I would settle just for him "dunking" every time he is under the basket. He misses far too many bunny layups for my taste. Just watch how DJ throws it down flat footed under the basket to get an idea of what Capela should do.

Will likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Ahh... the days of the pissiness of 'cornerstones' and 'roleplayers'... lol... before we learned to 'Run as One"! lol

6. Nero

Nero Member

This...

AND

Every once in a while, just for grins, I let my imagination run wild and pretend that some day in the future, Capela will develop a 3pt shot.. can you imagine how deadly that would be in this offense? As it is now, whenever he has the ball at the top of the arc, there's never a defender anywhere NEAR him, because they know he will never shoot from there. Just the THREAT that he could hit shots from there would open the offense up even more.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Coach! We all know he's getting paid, but don't say it out loud! Same with all the announcers, it's like they WANT him to get overpaid so we lose him! lol

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly disguised what-we-need-is-DMo comment :cool:

9. Purvis's shorts

Clint is the man

10. ballscientist1

Assumption: Tilman keeps Ariza, Luc Moute and Green (team salary at 105 million includes reserves for vet min and min)

Interesting question

Who would Tilman pick in July if there is only one option?

Chris Paul - starting at 30 million (not super-max, but nearing max

Capela - starting at 27 million (max)

If keeps both, team salary $250 (127 million taxes)

#30 ballscientist1, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. dmoneybangbang

I would argue that a healthy, engaged DJ would be better for this Rocket's 2017 run, but Capela's long term potential and fit with Harden is hard to trade.

This. I think with Capela's soccer background he has a good understanding of how the floor moves and hopefully the game has started slowing down for him offensively.

12. dmoneybangbang

That's the tough part, DJ is better today, but I don't know about tomorrow. I would have traded for CP3 and DJ during the offseason, but seeing Capela take the leap this year into solid consistency has changed my mind.

13. dmoneybangbang

Too many assumptions. For all we know CP3 finally gets a ring and becomes more generous with his salary. There is nothing set in stone that says CP3 will only take the max or near max.