1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com]Adelman lacks vote of confidence from Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. choujie

choujie Member

JVG deserved to stay, RA deserves to stay. they all have done well with the players they have.

Can't imagine some fans ranked Les as top 5 owner a while ago, he's much worse compare to Cuban and Dolan etc.

2. spressa

spressa Member

I can see how ppl would want to side with adelman after this interview with a near perfect response but i can't forget all of his shortcomings. (sorry if i repeat anyone but the threads are just TL;DR)

1) falls in love with certain players. (brooks, miller, etc.)
    2) late game calling (not instructing players to foul when it's obvious they should; down by 3 - going for 2 pointer and fouling when we have no more timeouts,; etc/)
    3) shows no fire on the baseline anymore.....
    etc.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

So you ignore facts about Brooks' PT, actual quotes from Adelman AND our actual record pre-and post all star break in favor of just your opinion? Brilliant, just brilliant. I'm done here, obviously people just don't want to change their stance on Rick the ruler.

P.S. "Nice" Coach Adelman said he wouldn't know what to do with Hasheem since the Grizz didn't know what to do with him, and there's no chance in hell Squid will get playing time since other Sfs have played better and deserved it more. Wow he was certainly making great PR moves then...

4. choujie

choujie Member

the article meant career winning percentage as Rockets head coach, maybe?

5. Prince

Prince Member

I don't think Phil Jackson will last a season coaching this roster without a star.

Rick is a great coach. Les is a great businessman, period.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I praise Morey for this too. Morey has given Adelman a fighting chance by drafting well and trading well. Rick has had a great bench every year whereas JVG had a HORRIBLE bench and basically two injury riddled star players.

Morey has given Rick great tools to win games.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Exactly. Just because this team doesn't have a superstar doesn't mean it isn't talented.

Hayes -Arguably an All NBA defender, fantastic passer, scores efficiently
    Scola - 18/8 guy, borderline All Star
    Budinger - young but can score in bunches and has done it well lately
    Martin - should be on the All Star team, elite scorer
    Lowry - better than half the starting PGs in the league (and getting better)

That is a pretty damn good starting lineup and could easily be a 50 win team with a little more talent off the bench. Again, we have to mention that the team has played much better since Adelman's two favorite toys, Battier and Brooks were moved and since his third favorite guy, Miller became injured and forced Adelman to play Patterson more.

As someone else mentioned, let's not forget the disastrous start to this season and the pathetic effort this team was giving under Slick Rick.

8. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

They better sign Rick Adelman... If not I be :mad:

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course its also quite possible that if PP had been getting like 5-10 minutes since the start of the season he could have been even better. Why are you even defending this move with that kind of logic?

If the Wizards benched Wall for half a season for no reason, and then when he plays he'll put up the stats he puts up now, you're also gonna say the benching for half a season is what turned him into quite a good player.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Wut. Dolan is one of the worst owners in this league. The fact that he has Isiah within 500 meters of the Knicks organization alone merits that label.

Anyways, color me on the Rick bandwagon, and I hope he stays. There's simply no one better out there. Period.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You have a point about AB, but Battier was playing quite well when he got traded. Battier was certainly outplaying Budinger, who was struggling with ankle injuries and his shot to start the season and only became more productive later on. Looking at their pre-trade play, there was nothing irrational about playing Battier over Budinger.

AB, on the other hand, was clearly given "rehab minutes" when he was clearly struggling. Even there, though, you can understand the thinking that the team is better off by giving AB the opportunity to get back to his old form. It's just too bad he never did.

I also don't think he's been "blasting" management. Calling the moves (and I'd imagine the Battier move more than the AB move) not "for basketball reasons" was more of a matter of fact than some sort of assault on Morey. Nobody, not even Morey, would argue that Thabeet is ready to contribute to this team this year.

People complain about player rotations, etc. are missing the big picture. Adelman has overall gotten good performance out of the talent. He has also gotten significant growth out of young players. This is pretty much what you ask a coach to do.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think everyone agrees Adelman has shortcomings. The issue for me is they better bring in someone just as good or better. That will be difficult. I feel the Rockets will be taking a step backwards letting him go. They know it too, which is why I believe personalities are involved. From the outside, it only seems logical to bring him back.

13. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

You clearly have a flawed perspective. Adelman stuck with his rotation and that's the only reason the team is playing with so much confidence. Its MOREY who has put a damper on the chemistry with all the shuffling of players. If RA isn't here next year it will give this organization a black eye on how they treat they're coaches and players

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

It's my opinion that what he did was coaches speak. I'm definitely not going to listen to a guy like you that has made these dumb statements on the board

'Melo sucks"
    "What are the chances the Knicks fall out of the playoff race"(This was a few days ago, uhhh look at the standing and common sense will tell you what the chances are)

And the dumbest statement I have heard in a while
    "Favors has more potential than DeMarcus Cousins because Favors is wayyyyy younger than Cousins"(Nevermind the fact that Cousins is not even a year older"

I already stated my opinion of why Brooks was playing. Also he was coming off an injury and Adelman hoped he could turn it around. People can complain about it all they want the point is valid because Brooks was hurting the team. My original comment was basically stating I don't understand why people on this board thinks Jerry Sloan could just improve this team. Also feel like Adelman has done a lot better than most coaches would do in Houston dealing with all of the injuries to key players he has had to deal with.

No I don't think Adelman is perfect no coach is. He doesn't suck as a coach though.

15. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I think Adelman's time here is over after this season. He and Morey are obviously not on the same page.

16. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

It very well could be quite possible that if PP got 5-10 min all season long he'd be better. But at this point, I'm not upset that he didn't ... everyone has their own road to get to where they are ... watching for a number of games was PP's path. Can't really argue with the results is what I'm saying. I've seen other guys fold when they were given minutes but weren't ready for them, so I'm just not so quick to say he should have been playing all along.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bad luck, bad schedule, combined with injuries and poor play from a still-rehabbing Yao Ming caused the 0-5 start to the season. Adelman wasn't coaching any differently than he was during the more recent 9-3 stretch.

A lot of teams with record similar to, or better than the Rockets go through these losing stretches, it just so happened the Rockets went through it at the beginning as oppose to somewhere in the middle.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

sure!

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Is there anyone who says Adelman sucks? I think most of us think he is a good (very) coach. If Les decides to not extend his contract, then there should be other factors to be considered, such as, age, a term of contract etc. Likely he and Morey are obviously not on the same page as posted by another poster. If that is true, I am in Morey side.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

yeah,

Damper on Chemistry? We've gone 9-3 SINCE THE TRADE!