1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com]Adelman lacks vote of confidence from Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Unless the Rockets have someone specific in mind, they should bring Adelman back. I'm guessing there is a personality conflict. Adelman's blunt words lead me to believe that.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not to mention the Yao 24 minutes a game limit and subsequent injury, and Brooks going down and subsequently becoming a scrub.

I just find it unreasonable to expect this team to have a better record.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Seriously, what did you expect from this roster after Yao couldn't go and after Brooks turned into Alstonriza? 50 wins? Did you really think we would be pushing for a playoff spot and be 3 over .500? I know I didn't expect these guys to turn into the players and team they have turned into this year.

I think it's amazing how Lowry, Patterson, Bud, Lee, Hayes, and Martin have developed this year. They haven't just increased their stats, but they have turned into a group of guys playing as a unit and making intelligent decisions with and without the ball. I think this is directly attributable to Adelman's coaching.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I like Adelman, and with all things considered, I think he has done a great job with us in his tenure here. He has flaws, and there are things he does that I do not agree with, but in general I keep my mouth shut about it after taking into account his entire body of work.

With that said, this came as a bit of a surprise to me:

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but that just came off quite egotistically. As if saying DESPITE some "non-basketball" moves made by management, HE was the one that coached them back up to par while "managing" the loss.

My question is, what exactly were these "non-basketball" moves he is referencing?

The ONLY one that comes to mind is trading Battier this year.

If anything, we have sacrificed the future in the past in order to "win now", like the move that brought in Ron Artest.

Trades like Alston for Lowry and Brooks for Dragic/pick both improved the team immediately and the future. We have bought picks left and right in order to inject some talent without giving anything up. I cannot think of a single other example of a move by management which hurt our ability to win now while looking towards to future or for financial reasons.

Seriously, what exactly is he talking about?

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Les doesn't want Rick messing up the tank.

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

What do you think he is referring to ? Drafting Batum, getting Darryl Arthur (and trading them for JT & Dorsey) getting Artest, getting Ariza, bringing back Mutombo ?

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Adelman is obsessively focused on trying to win basketball games and he is not interested in the financial considerations that have motivated some of the recent trades. Let him be passionate about that, by all means. That is his job.

The Rockets have lost three starters from the beginning of this year, and for a short while it was four when Scola was out. Can you imagine if the Lakers lost four of their starters what they would be playing like? Or the Miami Heat? It would be chaos and the team would be in disarray and probably on a huge losing streak. Clearly, all this has been very stressful for Rick, as it would be for any coach in the NBA under the same conditions. So he is blowing off a little steam. Big deal.

In the meantime, rather than going into meltdown mode out on the court, this team has actually gotten better. And to be fair, Rick Adelman certainly has to be given his share of the credit for that remarkable accomplishment.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

THe Adelman supporters on this thread is making the same mistake the Melo lovers did prior to the Knicks trade: they equate team success with personal accomplishment.

Adelman's system is great, but so far this season that is the only thing that was good about him. As a coach, he sucks balls, simple as that. A lot of his coaching decisions have directly or indirectly lead to us losing winnable games, things like waiting half a freaking season before playing your 14th lottery pick, playing your starters 40+ minutes even when the opponent has clearly given up, all these things tend to pile up.

Just look at how much better we've played when Adelman couldn't play Brooks 20 minutes per game anymore, and people here are saying Adelman's actually the reason why we've gone on a tear since the All star break? If there's any fool's gold on this team, Adelman is it. You ain't gonna win squat with a coach who sucks at managing players and PT.

99% of the good stuff about Adelman can be attributed to his system, why not retain the system and bring in coach T to lead the team? He's served as an assistant for so long, I'm sure he's mastered the intricacies of the R&R system by now.

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

It's good to hear he doesn't want to retire

I hope Leslie does the right thing and extends for few more years.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so you're saying this team is winning despite adelman?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The team has gotten better because Brooks wasn't around anymore to bring down the bench strength. If anything, the rox recent resurgence should have exposed RA's flawed subs, not validated it. All the credit he's supposed to receive is by playing Lowry 30 mins and giving the sub minutes to Lee, something he really should have done when the season started.

12. akiracy

akiracy Member

Playing TMac last year?

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clearly, he is still ticked about his fav. Aaron Brooks being traded.:p Ha, no I'm kidding, but not sure what or who he is talking about there but yes I do think he is still angry, ticked, frustrated, etc about Battier and especially AB being traded.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you separate the system from the coach then yeah. How do explain the high winning rate despite getting worse at the pg and sf positions after the break? I'm pretty sure PP getting a lot of minutes now when he was benched for apparently no reason whatsoever for half a season has something to do with it too...

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

First off, I don't think it is a huge deal. So that's that.

However, I am still curious about what these recent trades motivated by financial considerations are?

I am not sure he is talking about this year, since he clearly says "There has been times in the past".

But even considering this year, the ONLY move that qualifies is the Battier trade.

And even that is offset by removing Brooks from the rotation for any competent backup, which improved the team immensely. In fact I would venture that it is the BIGGEST reason for our late push for the playoffs. Not any change in Adelman's coaching, since there has been none.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

He only played Tmac 7 minutes a game. Even if he hated it, I'm not sure why that would be so earth shattering.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Amen to this.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

In a perfect, sane and sensible world the idea of Adelman leaving the Rockets would be strictly his call (in the process turning down an extension offer from us).

Unfortunately, it seems that isn't the case and the Rockets might embrace the idea of moving on. Fine. Just make sure whoever you bring in knows what they're doing. We got lucky when we canned JVG -- we were actually able to bring in somebody better. That won't be the case this time.

On a side note, if I were the Heat I'd be keeping a close eye on this situation. If/when the Heat fail to deliver this postseason because of their stagnant offense, I'd bring in Adelman and his Princeton system in a heartbeat to teach these guys a thing or two.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This may have been mentioned, but this might be coming from Adelman -- he's 68 and could just be tired of the grind. Going out with a team like we have this year might be just fine with Rick.

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Holy crap, all this time I thought RA is the one who may want to leave us, as we are not really a contender, or maybe he wants to retire. But if that's not the case, and he actually desires an extension, I have zero idea why it has not been done already. Zero.