1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com]Adelman lacks vote of confidence from Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I don't understand how so many people on this board can bash Rick for not playing the guys that are currently playing well earlier in the season... Its great that you think coaches have the ability to see into the future

No way a coach was going to play a rookie over a vet at the start of the season
    ie PPat and Miller

No way coach wouldn't give the Most Improved Player last season minutes on the court after an injury..

Hindsight is always 20/20 and Rick has finally found a groove with all his NEW players.. I can't think of a coach that can do a better job with so many new players ALL the time

2. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I'm fine with the organization making a change, butt really fed up with the lies to get there. There ere lies involved in the JVG situation, lies with Landry's contract, now it appears lies regardingRock not wanting to coach. Just either dont say anything or tell the truth.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

what lies with the jvg situation? that they didn't say they sacked him because he's a terrible coach? tbh i don't blame them for not doing that one, he may have been a terrible coach, but advertising it is more rude than the value of honesty.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

and how in the hell would you know what i was talking about? my reply was only 6 words long.

5. SWTsig

1. yao ming
    2. aaron brooks

if you cant see how injuries, contract disputes, negative attitudes and roster turmoil can have on a team then there's no need in arguing w person who thinks one of the winningest coaches in nba history and - NEWSFLASH - the winningest coach in rockets history - is not only a detriment to this team but actually a bad coach in general. bc objective observation and FACTS clearly say otherwise.

you know how long it takes for a team to gel? to actually find the right rotations and combinations to put a succesful, cohesive unit on the court? about HALF A DAMN SEASON. and you know how hard it is to succesfully gameplan when you have to limit your best player to 24 mins a game? and then gameplan again when he goes out for the season? and then gameplan again when the previous years best player goes out? and then conitinue to properly motivate and coach and get your team to focus when every single player knows they can be shipped out at moment's notice?

the fact that you can blantantly disregard these things and just chalk it up to "RA sux at rotations" is laughable at best. it takes time to develop cohesivesness on a team mostly made up of 2nd tier talent, youngsters, and spare parts.

is RA perftect? no. but you know what, i'll donate $1,000 to the tip jar if you can find me a coach who is.

now run along, kiddo.

6. mazinger

mazinger Member

You're wrong. Adleman is not a bad coach but he is very stubborn.

Adleman just needed to shorten the rotation and decrease bench minutes like he is now. Martin's minutes are way up and so are the rest of the starters. Remember when Martin would sit out most of the 2nd and 4th quarters? Brooks was the main reason we lost so many games. He sucked, still sucks and forever will suck as a point guard. Yes, he can score but that is all he can do. Our bench is finally not losing leads and actually, adding to our leads. Last year is was the bench, Lowry and Landry, that carried the team and not Brooks.

Adleman was beyond pissed about the trades. He did not like losing Brooks nor Battier. But look, we are playing so much better. If we started the year with this lineup, we'd be the 4 or 5th seed. Unless a players gets injured or gets traded away, Adleman is not going to play anyone else. He's stubborn that way. And if he doesn't like a player, TWill, he will not play him even if he was the only player left in the bench.

lea

7. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Here's a good reason not to hire Adelman back, Let's say we had JVG in coaching this current roster, wouldn't most of us agree that Houston is just as good as the Chicago Bulls? Last time I check, Bulls were in first place in the Eastern Conference and let's all face it, Tim Thibodeau is a great defensive mind coach and where did he get all of his defensive coaching skill from? JVG!!! So someone please tell me, I believe Rockets are as talented or more talented overall than the Chicago Bulls Roster, why not bring back JVG if the system is working in Chicago? I just don't get why all Adelman lovers want to keep Adelman next year, his already prooven for years that he can't get it done when it comes to getting stops, sure we love his run and gun game and it's exciting to watch, but how long did that last for The Phoenix Suns?

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Your assertion that JVG coaching this team would make us a good as the Chicago Bulls leaves out the fact that the Bulls have:

1. Derrick Rose
    2. Joakim Noah
    3. Carlos Boozer

9. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

That's the thing, though. The Bulls have a much more talented roster, including a real MVP candidate in D-Rose. Adelman's done a hell of a job. I'm not happy about the T-Will situation and I think it's strategic shortsightedness to have our young guys sitting on the bench, but we're one of the best offenses in the league despite having not a single All-star, and our defense is much improved. When you figure in the number of players that have developed well under Adelman, I have a hard time believing we could do any better. Pop is the only coach I can think of that I'd trade for RA straight up.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not sure if serious....

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is no need to include other two guys as the Rockets have guys comparable in talent to those guys. Rose is amazing and may be the best player in the NBA.

12. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Okay here's the thing, Yes they have the SUPERSTARS, but look at Denver, after they traded Carmelo, they been averaging more APG, PPG, and I thinkg more Transition PPG, no more 1 on 1 for Denver, there actually a TEAM now. Look at the Knicks after acquiring Carmelo, they've gotten worse, so just because Bulls have the Overall better Star doesn't mean there better, let's compare teams roster and you tell me who has the better OVERALL team.
    BULLS
    C-Joakim Noah
    C-Omer Asik
    C-Kurt Thomas
    PF-Carlos Boozer
    PF-Brian Scalabrine
    SF-Luol Deng
    F-Taj Gibson
    SG-Keith Bogans
    SG-Kyle Korver
    SG-Ronnie Brewer
    SG-Rasual Butler
    PG-Derrick Rose
    PG-John Lucas
    PG-Jannero Pargo
    PG-C.J. Watson

Rockets
    C-Brad Miller
    C-Chuck Hayes
    C-Hasheem Thabeet
    C-Yao Ming
    PF-Luis Scola
    PF-Patrick Patterson
    PF-Jordan Hill
    SF-Chase Budinger
    SF-Terrence Williams
    F-Mike Harris
    F-DeMarre Carroll
    SG-Kevin Martin
    SG-Courtney Lee
    PG-Kyle Lowry
    PG-Goran Dragic

Now back to my point A, isn't our Rockets team just as good as the Bulls Roster overall?

Bulls OPPG=#2 @ 91.1 right behind the Hard tough Boston Celtics who are #1 @ 90.9ppg, now didn't Tim. T coach the Celtics defensive team and now the head coach of the Bulls and still showing he can get his sorry ass bull scrubs to play defense? So back to my question, why not rehire JVG OR Jerry Sloan to fix our defensive problem? Now most say that if we hire JVG back that our offense isn't going to click as good as now but I say, compare our roster to the Bulls roster and we shouldn't have a problem scoring the ball, JVG will keep Rick Adelmans system going once his here in Houston, do you guys actually think that Jeff is going to come back to Houston and tell our Rockets players "OKAY IM THE NEW HEAD COACH, NOW WERE GOING TO PLAY MY STLE OF OFFENSE AND IGNORE ADELMANS OFFENSE" The answer is no, Why would JVG mess with something that's going great? All he needs to do is come back to Houston and teach his defensive teaching game. Isn't it funny how JVG made the Chuck wagon the defensive player he is now and now no one remembers that Chuck and Yao are the only players left on this roster that JVG use to coach? Im sure Chuck Hayes still has some advise in his head from when JVG was coaching here, Chuck is who he is because of JVG, BOTTOM LINE.

13. SWTsig

:confused:

14. SWTsig

so jvg deserves credit for making chuck the defensive force he is today but RA doesn't deserve the same credit for helping chuck develop his offensive game from non-existant to downright decent?

i swear you can't make these things up.

i'm outta here.

15. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Wow, people sure do love to put extra bad words in my mouth, I never said I don't give credit to RA for developing Hayes on the Offensive side of the Court, Yes, RA is great at giving our players easy open shots but that's only because he knows how to run his offensive system, before, Hayes never use to cut to the basket and get easy layups in the JVG system just because JVG offensive system wasn't as good as RA. The point here is RA did develop our young players into knowing how to get easy shots, but after the players learn how to get easy shots and move the ball around, whats left to teach? That's why we need to make the change now and get a defensive mind coach and keep our current players and not mess up team chemistry. Now if we get JVG and trade half of our roster, then that's messing with team chemistry and perhaps JVG won't be as great as we expect, that's why it's important to keep our players and keep our great chemistry going, just change coach and become like the Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls but the only difference is going to be

2011-2012 Teams PPG Rockets Top 5
    OPPG Rockets top 5

2011-2012 The return of the Great Wall=Championship Year!:)

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. They got rid of the Blackhole Ballstopper Carmelo Anthony. His possession % on all of Denver's plays, IIRC, was about 30% which is too high for a player that can't do anything else other than score and score inefficiently.

2. They got good players in return. None of them are superstars but Felton, Gallinari and Chandler aren't scrubs by any means.

3. So based on #1 and #2, yes they ARE better teamwise because they took out the biggest non-team factor in the equation.

No, they are not. They have what we don't have--size (Noah/Boozer/Asik/Gibson). If you were to put the Rockets and the Bulls in a 7 game series, there's no way the Rockets could win the series with the lack of size upfront.

Again, why do you insist on underselling the Bulls team? They aren't "sorry ass bull scrubs" by any means. Noah is a GREAT defender, Gibson is an above average shotblocker, and Deng wasn't that bad of a defender to begin with. I'll give Thibs credit for helping Rose improve his defense and credit for putting together a perfect defensive plan for the players he has but to say he's doing it with "sorry ass bull scrubs" means you have little insight on the Bulls.

I'm not even worried about the offense if JVG comes back (especially not with Sloan if you know anything about his flex offense and how that would work well with Lowry and Patterson/Scola). I'm worried that JVG (your apparent savior on defense) can't improve the defensive sieve known as Luis Scola and Kevin Martin, who are both your two best scoring options ergo sees the most floortime.

Your assumption that Chuck Hayes wasn't a good defender until JVG came is laughable and continues to show how much basketball knowledge you lack. He left Kentucky with All-Time TOP 10 in blocks, steals and rebounds and was the 2004 SEC defensive player of the year. Hayes always had the tools to defend, he just needed playing time.

You need players that can and will adapt to a system for the system to work. You can't assume that Kevin Martin will be an above average defender just be JVG comes back.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly I don't get all of the nostalgia for JVG. JVG couldn't win without both Yao and a healthy McGrady. Heck there were several times he couldn't even win with both. Remember that game in Utah when only four Rockets could score. I like JVG as a personality but there is no way he would be able to deal with the turmoil the Rockets have gone through during Adelman era with injuries and uncertainty.

And as much as I love the Rockets the current Bulls line is is much better.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess it is just in the nature of GARM to bash. I agree Adelman isn't perfect but honestly does anyone think we can land a better coach out there?

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

From **** my dad says