1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com]A Dream Tutor For Dwight In Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 15, 2013.

?

Hakeem

1. Yoda

81 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Mr Miyagi

61 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Professor X

17 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Sheng Long

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Harry Morgan

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/07/15/a-dream-tutor-for-dwight-in-houston/
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qfyKItCtmu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – NBA big men working out with Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon during the summer is one thing. Having Olajuwon as your full-time tutor, however, is a completely different story.

For Dwight Howard, it’s a story that could produce results all big men dream of … dominating the game and winning titles the way The Dream did when he starred for the Rockets.

The Rockets are working on adding Olajuwon to the coaching staff, per the Houston Chronicle, a move that should benefit Howard and every other big man on the roster:

Olajuwon’s duties and title are being discussed, and he will spend much of the year at his home in Jordan. But he will work with Rockets interior players, as he does with big men around the NBA each offseason, as a team employee.

“We are going to bring him in as full-time as is possible,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Sunday. “It’s not done, but we have mutual interest to get it done, and we’ve had some early discussions.

“We want him to work with Dwight and Omer (Asik), and he wants to do that.”

Olajuwon, 50, has worked with Howard in two offseasons, and Howard has spoken about training with him again, this time as the latest in the line of Rockets All-Star centers.

“He has improved so much,” Olajuwon said. “I like with the Houston Rockets he will get a chance to show his true potential. That’s exciting. The last two years, he has not really been given that opportunity to really, really express his game, his comfort level and confidence. Here he has a team that is willing to do that. They want him to do that.”

Howard’s physical tools are already there. Toss in some skill work with a master like Olajuwon and the Rockets have a chance to see the very best from Howard, who signed his four-year, $88 million free agent deal with the team over the weekend.

And, let’s not forget, Howard has worked with Olajuwon in the past.

Scores of players from around the league, a list that includes LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire, Josh Smith, JaVale McGee and others, have enlisted Olajuwon’s services in recent summers. Howard would have him watching his every move now and working with him on a daily basis.

Toss in the fact that Kevin McHale, one of the greatest low-post technicians in basketball history, is coaching the team and it’s clear that Howard will have the best big man mentoring crew on the planet.

That can’t be anything but a great thing for Howard and the Rockets.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm trying to find the videos from about three years ago, when DREAM already worked with Howard. :cool:

I don't think Howard has the finesse and footwork Dream was BORN with... I don't think he's as smooth... too much bulk. I'm reluctant to believe Howard can learn these.

I am hopeful I can be proven wrong and eat some crow just for the sake of seeing my Rockets win big with BIGs. :eek:

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I believe Dwight already labeled him:

Master Splinter

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't like Dwight's comparison,
    Master Splinter was a rat

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Professor X, bro. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8127465&postcount=115 Sheng Long doesn't even exist, he's like Teo's girlfriend. And if anyone is Sheng Long it's CD since he has an entire Klan of post players, each with their own unique style under his tutelage.

Like Xavier, Hakeem cannot teach Dwight to do the things he does, but he can teach him the most important lesson.

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Professor X, just because I like keeping it real...:eek:

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

unless Dwight's top-heavy physique magically changes I don't see too many dream shakes in his future.

8. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

I hope Dream can adapt his teachings a little bit, because he always shot the ball at a fairly high point, whereas Dwight doesn't.

I wonder how much that will effect some of his fade away moves that he taught Dwight a few years ago.

9. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

The only guy in this roster who has the agility to learn the dreamshake is DMo.

Is the Dream going to tutor only Dwight and Omer, or are DMo, Tjones and Greg included?

10. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

I like Mr Miyagi just beacuse of the fact that Mr Miyagi would also say "Fockas"(Focus) just like Olajuwon does :grin:

11. payaso

payaso Member

No question that the entire org benefits from having Dream involved, if from nothing more than the 'aura effect'. Nolan Ryan belongs to that category as well.

When it comes to teaching big men, well... maybe if it weren't the guy we saw leave so many of his elite peers in the dust with his moves on the court, we could look at his students and say, 'yeah, <fill in the blank> certainly benefited from his time with Joe FiveGuy-his moves are more crisp and confident, blahblahblah...'

What I see is a progression of bigs looking, in comparison, like kids who went to Hakeem's Community Outreach Post Skills Camp, "to stay off the streets and off drugs."
    Especially after watching films of the big silly kid #12 working with him, it was like watching a Clydesdale trying to emulate a Lipizzaner. My forty-something keister has as much chance as his pupils do to develop the same fluidity of movement that Dream possessed in the glory years. (LBJ and Kobe don't count- they possess 2 guard - wing skillsets and already dominated their respective positions; they were just putting in the work to add to their already elite game.)

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That Rat kicked ass though

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I heard Yao signed up to teach Howard some taichi as well.

14. bmd

bmd Member

It has nothing to do with his physique.

He just not as graceful, fluid, and finesse as Hakeem.

That has nothing to do with his body-type.

15. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Now he needs to work with Calvin Murphy on his FTs

16. tinman

Supporting Member

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Posted by Friedman on Twitter.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The guy looks like he can still play. Jesus.

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>One more: Dwight goes to work after watching Dream display how it's done. <a href="http://t.co/SGZL3KMn4s">pic.twitter.com/SGZL3KMn4s</a></p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@JasonCFriedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statuses/367047371277881344">August 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Convictedstupid

The season really needs to hurry up and get here.