1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 16, 2021.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Also why didn't Shams say Silas was the former Head Coach of the Rockets. weird.

daywalker02 and J.R. like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Meh - it is just money.

Monty Williams is considered a very good culture guy and has the reputation of working well with and developing young players.

Honestly, he is probably going to make a bigger impact than paying Naz Reid or whomever $15,000,000 a year.

I agree Monty isn't Pops - but Monty is about as high a caliber coach they can possibly get until they are a contender.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At some point people should just lay down with their contrarian views and enjoy what entertaining show the NBA is.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

There is a good chance that CP3 isn't on the Suns next year, and Ayton may be dealt as well.

The screw up the SUNS made was including BOTH Bridges and Johnson in the trade. The SUNS gave up a LOT for KD - too much.

The SUNS gave up 4 #1s, Johnson and Bridges - and Crowder.

The NETS can get 3 #1's for Bridges easily, and they could have dealt Johnson at the deadline for at least a #1. Crowder was dealt for 5 second rounders.

At the end of the day, the NETS got basically the value of: 8 #1's, 5 #2's and a future #1 trade swap for a 34 year old Kevin Durant.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Silas is fine at picking up players from the airport, showing them around town... listening to their problems, and even reviewing video and working with them. He just cannot have any real input on any thing disciplinary related, and he really isn't good at running an offense. He can do the day to day supervision, as long as there is someone else that can step in and stomp out bad habits and stupid strategic decisions. So he has value as an assistant and it is possible that he will now fully emerge himself into being a top assistant like Adams and Winter have done in the past.

Either way, I don't want that dude anywhere around the Rockets. Good guy - he can come visit in the off season and maybe officiate a few weddings and help people find their lost cats and dogs.

slothy420, chadyang and DreamShook like this.
  6. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Yeah I agree; they definitely swing for the fences and hit a long warning track pop out. All flash and little smash.

What they need is someone who can run the offense; KD was at his best and most efficient when he has a PG who handles the ball so that he can play off ball. That is why I think we should keep an eye out for Harden to the Suns. He did go to school there (ASU).

Nook likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Word is Ishbia negotiated the deal so no wonder he got plowed. Agree that Cam Johnson should have been held back.

Nook likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Silas is a youth pastor.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I feel so bad for Sam Cassell
    Man cannot get a sniff

Rocket River

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Pistons about to win that church league championship.

#niceguysfinishlast

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. ExTexanNowEastCoast

CP3 cut, Harden an FA. Nets were at their best when it was just him and KD.

Harden to PHO vibes getting stronger.

Anyone got that Chris Broussard "Sauces" meme? ;)

chadyang and Rocket River like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I heard the same thing. I am trying to remember who said it, but someone connected to the Suns said that right now Ishbia is basically the GM and owner of the team.

With his background he is supposedly really confident he knows what he is doing- but I really wonder. He fired several scouts and an assistant GM within hours of taking over the team and he was the one that decided on Monty Williams, and Chris Paul and supposedly has pushed to move Ayton.

Soending money is great but none of these billionaires that come in and try to “take over” do anything positive.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know what that guy is smoking.

The Suns have KD and Booker, a very wealthy owner and they let go of Monty Williams for….. Frank Vogel??? That is looking good?

If I were a Suns fan I would be pissed off that Houston got Udoka, Philadelphia got Nick Nurse and Milwaukee got Adrian Griffin - and I get Frank “Paul George ****** Roy Hibbert’s wife” Vogel? The guy that LeBron called “Fred” instead of “Frank”? Yuck

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

He was offered a decent head coaching job in college and turned it down.

I have never heard and negative things about Sam, other than some teams have said they don’t view him as a head coach because he specializes at working one on one with players.

I would say it has nothing to do with being black because we have other black coaches - but Charles Lee still doesn’t have a job — but then again Doc had a job for 24 straight years, but Doc always seemed like he was one of the good ole boys.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sixers: IN—Nick Nurse | OUT—Glenn Rivers
    Bucks: IN—Adrian Griffin | OUT—Mike Budenholzer
    Hawks: IN—Quin Snyder | OUT—Nate McMillan
    Nets: IN—Jacque Vaughn | OUT—Steve Nash
    Pistons: IN—Monty Williams | OUT—Dwane Casey
    Raptors: IN—Darko Rajakovic | OUT—Nick Nurse
    Rockets: IN—Ime Udoka | OUT—Stephen Silas
    Suns: IN—Frank Vogel | OUT—Monty Williams

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Ishbia has “Daniel Snyder” vibes all over him. Don’t really see this working out.

$5 KD is traded after next season, Booker gone season after. Ayton maybe the only one left because nobody else is wants him.

18. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Yeah that quote was just trying to change the media vibe. Nobody in that locker room is excited about Vogel. Promise you KD was on the phone with Lebron and they were laughing.

Straight up, Vogel reminds me of a shorter fatter version of Brad Stevens. I will grant him that he does have a ring.

Also, why do people keep trying to give him a pass on his last season in LA? Yes he got stuck with Westbrook, but the season before they were in the play in game. People are acting like they were the top seed. Point is, the team made that trade because the roster they had before was not cutting it.

Also, say what you want about them, but Brooks, Dantoni, Donovan and Lue all seem to get a lot out of Westbrook. If Vogel was such a great coach, why couldn’t he?

Fact is, media picks their guys (Thibadeux, Vogel, McHale, Brown, etc.) and will never say anything bad about them and blame any issue on players. It’s a joke.

19. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Yeah that quote was just trying to change the media vibe. Nobody in that locker room is excited about Vogel. Promise you KD was on the phone with Lebron and they were laughing.

Straight up, Vogel reminds me of a shorter fatter version of Brad Stevens. I will grant him that he does have a ring.

Also, why do people keep trying to give him a pass on his last season in LA? Yes he got stuck with Westbrook, but the season before they were in the playin. People are acting like they were the top seed. Point is, the team made that trade because the roster they had before was not cutting it.

Also, say what you want about them, but Brooks, Dantoni, Donovan and Lue all seem to get a lot out of Westbrook. If Vogel was such a great coach, why couldn’t he?

Fact is, media picks their guys (Thibadeux, Vogel, McHale, Brown, etc.) and will never say anything bad about them and blame any issue on players. It’s a joke.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member