1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA admits missed call on Dwight Howard in overtime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xxfresh, Apr 21, 2014.

1. TheresTheDagger

Not surprising. It would be only guessing, but I bet those folks didn't watch the entire game last night. Nevertheless, they are correct that there were bad calls/non-calls that benefited both teams yesterday.

The question is, who benefited more?

-Houston shoots ZERO FT's in the entire first half to Portland's 17.
    -Portland shoots more FT's for the entire game 39-approx 30. (subtracting for the Hack a Dwight FT's.
    -Beverley gets called for a technical for clapping his hands. Moments later, LaMarcus Aldridge avoids a technical while arguing loudly and in the face of an official.
    - 2 key starters foul out for Houston to 1 for Portland. Also, Asik was in foul trouble all night primarily because of very questionable moving screen fouls.
    -Aldridge sets hard screen that almost takes out knee of Beverley and gets a common foul.
    -Lillard fouls Dwight on play the Blazers fans say he is traveling. Would have been his 5th foul but instead they give the foul to the less important player Lopez.

1 person likes this.
  2. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Calls were horrible on both teams.

Ref didn't lose us this game. Mcfail did.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How should he adjust to Hack-a-Howard?

4. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Quit whining.

5. torocan

torocan Member

To be fair, what some of the folks are missing is that the value of calls is like the value of possessions in that their relative value changes over the course of a game.

Correct calls become increasingly important as a game progresses as the number of opportunities for officials to balance those calls shrinks due to the reduced number of possessions.

As such, a blown call in the final seconds has FAR more value than a blown call early in the game which can be rebalanced with "make up" calls or no-calls later in the game.

The same applies to poor possessions. A bad possession in the first quarter is far less impactfull than a bad possessions in the 4th. And a bad possession early in the 4th in far less impactfull than a bad possession in the final 30s.

Let's put it this way... if you have a bad defensive possession early in the first quarter, you have 50-100 more opportunities to make an extraordinary defensive possession to offset the impact of that bad possession.

If you have a bad possession on the last play of the game, the impact is win-lose. There's no more opportunities left to alter the outcome of the game.

Regardless of how many bad calls there are earlier in the game, the final calls are ultimately game changing. Missing those calls determine the winner and loser and as such they are and should be scrutinized heavily.

1 person likes this.
  6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I must say this is an improvement from the Stern regime where fines would be levied to the team that got screwed...

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't see how this is anything more than one bad call out of many made. Not why we lost the game.

We lost because we missed shots and the Blazers made theirs. That's it. We played decent D - limiting them to 43% shooting. Sometimes great players have great games. We couldn't stop LMA and probably won't.

We didn't play badly. We didn't play great. But Portland had an awesome game and we lost in OT by 2. Not sure what else you can do but try to be ready for game 2.

9. TheresTheDagger

LOL. You have 1 rep point in 7 years. With gem's like the above, its not surprising.

Keep wasting that bandwidth.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Unless you are playing the Lakers or Miami, calls are basically an element of luck. Rockets can't complain about bad refs. Rockets cost themselves.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blazers troll. Ignore him.

12. SPBR

SPBR Member

Yay. Moral victory. The best kind of victory... NOT.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Nothing the NBA does will make EVERYONE happy.

Personally I like the transparency. It ends the debate over controversial calls.

However, I still want to see a NFL challenge type system. Give NBA coaches the opportunity to burn a time out to challenge a call. Also, make foul calls reviewable in the final 30s. Use the same standard they use now, which is you need conclusive evidence that the call is wrong.

No, this wouldn't help overturn ticky tack fouls (as they're still technically fouls), but it WOULD overturn blatantly missed calls (via challenge) and it would mean they would get calls like last night right more often.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think his mistake was adjusting at all. Shouldn't have taken Howard out.

15. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Have what they do in Professional Tennis. Each player(coach for the NBA) has a limited amount of "challenges" to any call. They could start with 1 challenge for each coach so it doesn't slow down the game too much. They could review it at the end of each season to increase it to 2 when desired. They could even increase the challenges for the Playoffs.

16. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

That's why the McHale failed. Hack-a-Howard didn't happen overnight. They should have made a decision a long time ago before the Playoffs to either "keep him in at all cost" or "take him out immediately".

I suppose McHale had to ask Howard permission to take him out?

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Here's the thing about Hack-a-Howard - if he shoot's 50% from the stripe, and the other team shoots 50% from 2 point range and 33% from 3 point range and there are no second chance points... then the lead is maintained. Obviously it's more complex given turnovers, offensive rebounds, etc... but the point is that Hack-a-Howard is not effective if he can maintain that minimum FT% and be the rim protector/rebounder he is paid to be. If he is allowing Lopez and LMA to outrebound him, then Hack-a-Howard will work because they are getting high percentage looks at the rim compared to his 1 point-a-possession free throw shooting.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

maxiep, I don't think anything you've said has been out of line, but right now you're being the equivalent of the guy who has his neighbor's house burn down in a gas fire, joyfully skips over to him and exuberantly proclaims that he probably should have had his gas line looked at earlier. Then he relates a story about how he once had a leak in his gas line, but fortunately caught it in time and it didn't cause any damage to his house, and that I suppose God was just going to take someone's house, it's a shame it had to be yours. But at least the explosion and inferno was without a doubt the best housefire of the year, right?

And then, when his neighbor gets angry at him, the guy says that he's just speaking the truth, he doesn't care if you're butthurt, and it was obvious that when he got his pipes looked at, the neighbor should have at the same time.

Emotions are just way too raw right now, and you're still posting on a message board, where people will interpret your tone and intention in ways that you didn't intend.

From my experience with Blazersedge, the site moderators are very quick to delete anything with a whiff of trolling. I guarantee that if I posted a similar message to yours after a game where the Blazers lost, I'd be banned from the site faster than I could say Brandon Roy's Knees.

If you're going to post now, just realize that even consoling words from the opponent are always going to be met with derision after an excruciating loss like this one. I and many others welcome opposing fans and viewpoints, but there's just a time and place for it, and right now everyone is whipped up into a frothing lather, much like the Portland fanbase. It's just not worth fighting a flamewar right now.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Portland fans tears will taste deliciously salty.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

The game was horrendously officiated the entire game for BOTH teams. We just got shafted a bit more. It would help if Harden had come to play like LMA did.