1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA about to snatch All-star game away from Charlotte

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 21, 2016.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Good for the NBA. Standing up for basic rights is important.

1 person likes this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Most of them are aware of the general sentiment but probably don't know the exact particulars of the law.

Charlotte literally just approved like $35 million in arena improvements to host the game, I doubt they're happy about this no matter the reason.

I don't feel bad for those who support the law one bit. But I know there are fans and plenty of people there that do not support the law and I feel bad for those fans. I would be devastated.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

• Do you know who the biggest sponser of the Charlotte Hornets is -- who owns the naming rights to the stadium? Time Warner Cable.

• Do we see the name of the Time Warner Cable CEO on that petition denouncing the discrimination law? Yes

• Did you read the Petition and see that it doesn't say anything about bathrooms -- but rather details the hurt it will do to business for "those other things".

• Could it be that Time Warner Cable and other NBA sponsors are pressuring the NBA to boycott NC as site of the ASG for "those other things" they mention in the Petition? That's much more likely than your insistence this is just about bathrooms, when no one is actually saying that.

• in fact, the NBA states that clearly in one of their press releases: "We are deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principles of equality and mutual respect."

Everything points to bathrooms (which only affects the "T" in LGBT) as a secondary issue to any boycott vs the larger issues of all "those other things" in Part 2 and 3 of HB2. Not just the points above, but all the points I've made in previous posts about what businesses are doing (paypal, DB, all 160 CEOs). It's like saying a discrimination bill in the '50s which overrides public bathroom use by blacks, but also removes them as a protected class in discrimination laws is all about blacks using the same bathroom as whites.

Above is just in reference to your claim the NBA is acting differently than all the other businesses who are against this.

I'm confident you are on an island of belief that this is all about a singular issue of bathrooms.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why is discrimination so difficult to understand? When I saw "White Only" signs at public restrooms at city parks in Houston back in the '50's, it was perfectly obvious what was going on, just as it is perfectly obvious why that Bill was passed by the North Carolina legislature. Discrimination was wrong in the 1950's, and it is wrong today, regardless of who is being discriminated against. It really isn't all that complicated.

5. Bob

Bob Member

The law stops pedophiles from entering girls locker rooms.
    Liberal Democrats, for unknown reasons, are pushing anti-woman rules around the country.
    Personally, I think the NBA should stay out of politics.

6. Bob

Bob Member

I'm not following how it makes sense to do this for profit.

Target announced they would let men into women's bathrooms a few months ago. Millions are boycotting their store, the revenues have fallen, and the stock price has plummeted. Businesses don't get involved into politics for profit. Target may not exist in five years.

7. Bob

Bob Member

Great. Thanks commish.

I made the mistake of telling my wife about the NBA changing venues.
    Discriminating against women just pisses her off.
    I am not allowed to attend any NBA games, activities, etc until the NBA reverses their ruling.
    Unfortunately it includes this site.

I'm out.

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The law doesn't stop pedophiles from entering girl's locker rooms lol

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

In what way? Are you somehow implying that because a person is transgender that they are also a pedophile and that because they are not transgender they are not pedophiles? That kind of stereo typing is one of the biggest sources for some of the worst discrimination and bigotry this country has ever gone through. People like you fear or hate that which you clearly don't understand, simply because it doesn't walk, talk or look like you.

I have news for you, pedophiles come from all back grounds, genders and religions. How frequently have we found out that those who were thought to be the moral beacons of our society turned out to be the very monsters we were afraid of.

Here is an example of someone championing your cause against LGBT and yet he is the guy you should have feared; Pastor Dave Reynolds is facing 70 counts of distributing, possessing, or viewing child p*rnography. Like you, he is very much openly anti LGBT.

Need another? How about Paul Cunningham a former pastor of a Los Alamos church is facing allegations of distributing and owning child p*rnography.

Or how about this one, Timothy Douglas a former Katy pastor is now in jail, accused of possessing and promoting child p*rnography.

But lets not stop there, Chad Oather Calhoun a former Sulphur Springs pastor has been arrested for child p*rnography.

I could go on and on. I haven't even covered catholic priests sexually abusing alter boys for decades. I haven't talked about Priests or ministers using their position in the church to sexually abuse women while cheating on their spouses. I haven't even covered the average Joe who along with his wife is living in a normal middle class neighborhood and is part of a child trafficking operation.

So while you are worried about LGBT, who are only interested in the same rights as you and me, you should be more concerned with the person who walks, talks and looks just like you.

I have nothing but praise for the NBA pulling the All-Star game from Charlotte.

#169 crash5179, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Whooped ass. Bye.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is one of my favorite arguments.

Pedophilia is illegal. Being illegal does not stop a pedophile from committing pedophilia. How does this law stop pedophiles from entering girls locker rooms when they clearly already have no regard for the law?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They enter young boys' rooms.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

This is still so messed up and unfair to the City of Charlotte. They're being punished for standing up for LGBT rights. They create a bill being inclusive and protecting transgendered people. Then the state comes in and reverses it. Then the NBA comes in and stands up for LGBT community by yanking the All-Star game out of the very city that was standing up for the LGBT community in the first place. On the surface to the uninformed, it's a rah-rah moment for equal rights, but you're punishing the city that was aligned with your convictions in the first place for wrongs done by the state.

What picked at this scab for me today was how China just banned ALL INTERNET NEWS for citizens of China. And what do you know, the Rockets have a few exhibition games in China this Fall. Of course Silver won't be making any bold stances on social issues when it conflicts with making tons of money in China.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree to a large extent. It sucks for Charlotte's hotel, hospitality and entertainment business, but putting all blame on the NBA for screwing with Charlotte might also be unfair.

The largest sponsor of the Charlotte Hornets is Time Warner Cable...they have naming rights to the arena as well as other marketing ties to the team.

160 CEOs have signed a petition denouncing HB2, threatening to pull business from NC. One of them is in fact the CEO of Time Warner Cable. I believe many CEOs on that list might have pressured the NBA to take on stand consistent with the signed petition, which is also in line with the NBA's guiding principles (as stated in a press release).

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Smart move by NBA. Keeping it in Charlotte would've been a disaster with this **** going on.

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

It's going to New Orleans, 3 times in 10 years and a team that was once owned by the league. Coincidence? I don't think so...they knew probably months before that they were probably going to move it and to not have it in a city like Minnesota / Portland or another who could use the boost and hasn't hosted one in a long time or ever is a bad precedent.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

THIS! This is what annoys me about the whole move. New Orleans again. Isn't LA in line to host it again soon?

Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Portland would all have been great choices.