1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA about to snatch All-star game away from Charlotte

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 21, 2016.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Yes I was off on the numbers...but didnt even include how much CCTV and other Chinese companies have been paying the NBA for ad/tv rights.

in 2016, CCTV is set to finish its 4 year...7.2 BILLION dollar contract with the NBA. Tencent im assuming is their Internet deal (140 million per season). The reason the cap may just increase as much by next season is because of the impending NEW contract that CCTV will sign with the NBA...

Not including...major companies that sponsorships and future jersey ads...China is a very integral part of the NBA's future valuations.

http://www.mailmangroup.com/2015/10/nbas-china-investment-is-paying-off/

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I agree with you...This is precisely my point...The NBA follows money. By claiming some moral high ground over moving the Allstar game from Charlotte, but being perfectly content with the ish that goes on in China IS Hypocritical. There is NO money to be made in NC...its why their moving their site. This guise of HB2 law being the impeding factor is hot garbage.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You keep saying that, and that is NOT the issue that so many people are upset about...including the LGBT community.

You should really take a second and research what the issue is here, and why 160 CEOs of huge companies are taking a stand against it. But I suppose you don't care to.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The NBA is a business, but they are a privately-owned business. So, it doesn't have to be profit-motive. They can run their business for whatever ends they want to. You may not agree with their management, but then you're not an owner so it doesn't matter. And, apparently they do care where they get their dollars from, because they're choosing to get fewer of them from North Carolina.

Secondly, on injustice -- sure slavery, oppression, etc are injustices. I don't see why HB2 isn't severe enough to warrant being injustice. That seems like a capricious definition to say going to the bathroom isn't important enough to warrant inclusion. I don't see how severity matters. Even if it did, though, going to the bathroom is vital to every living thing, so impingements are imo of some significance. Besides which, there's more to HB2 than just bathroom regulation.

You want to say -- since you don't have an argument handy for why HB2 is positively justified and legitimate -- that it's not important. Yet there are a lot of otherwise-rational CEOs of big, significant companies taking an unusually political stance in opposing HB2, to the point of surrendering business in the state. Why are these smart, results-oriented people so opposed to such a trivial law? Why is North Carolina stubbornly sticking to its guns in the face of a national boycott over something so trivial? It's because it's not trivial. It's dead serious. If you don't see what the fuss is about, maybe it's not other people.

1 person likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/reppittenger">@reppittenger</a> writes letter to <a href="https://twitter.com/NBA">@NBA</a> on decision to pull All Star Game from Charlotte over <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HB2?src=hash">#HB2</a> <a href="https://t.co/Jk1bB6aSjY">pic.twitter.com/Jk1bB6aSjY</a></p>&mdash; Ben Siegel (@benyc) <a href="https://twitter.com/benyc/status/756248768610115584">July 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  6. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Not that I disagree with anything you are saying but one item I'd point out a distinction. It's not North Carolina, it's the NC General Assembly and Governor, whom didn't provide time to allow for any of the normal "call your representative" formalities or discussion. This isn't North Carolina, it's those in power today in North Carolina.

7. heypartner

Ironically, Congressman Pittenger's (R-NC) position just wiped out local anti-discrimination laws to protect veterans -- in Greensboro, NC and all of Orange County. It's ironic, because he's a big advocate to protect and help those suffering from PTSD, which the local laws were also trying to protect.

<a href="http://pittenger.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/pittenger-secures-support-of-129-members-of-congress-to-stamp-out-ptsd">CONGRESSMAN PITTENGER SECURES SUPPORT OF 129 MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TO “STAMP OUT PTSD”</a>

“The men and women who serve in our military sacrifice much in the cause to protect the United States and stand for the liberties which are the foundation of our nation. We should honor their sacrifice through a national showing of support, and through utilizing this alternative funding mechanism to increase treatment for veterans suffering from PTSD.

8. tksense

tksense Member

Who believes this junk? Read: CIA funding. Religious? Read: CIA creation. Etc. sigh, I don't ask everyone to know everything, but at least investigate a little and recognize some farcical double standards.

Politics and sports. I'm so sorry to see this, but ppl, even regular joes, just won't stay out of this.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I would prefer no legislation on the topic, period. Allow everyone to discriminate based on their own idealogical preferences. So long as you don't harm anyone, you can work with, serve, employ and associate with whoever you want or don't want to.

But of course, that's the hangup with the modern day self-righteous. You don't really want fairness, which you cant define anyway. You want conformance.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Lesbians don't like the term 'snatch'.

11. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Lesbians don't like snatch? One of those words doesn't mean what I think it does.

1 person likes this.
  12. Commodore

any word on when Silver plans to mandate gender-neutral bathrooms in NBA arenas?

13. Commodore

that's exactly what the NC bill did, it only applied to government facilities

private businesses like the Charlotte Hornets are free to make their bathrooms gender-neutral (they aren't stupid enough to do that of course)

the difference is the city of Charlotte wanted to force all bathrooms to be gender-neutral (including schools!), and the NC legislature put a stop to that with regard to government facilities only

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So basically you prefer the pre- 1964 Jim crow era

That speaks volumes about where you are on this issue.

Disgusting and sad.

1 person likes this.
  15. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I'd stop talking to these people. It's not worth the effort or time.

These people are on the wrong side of history, lets hope they all hurry up and die instead of sucking up all our tax dollars getting sick.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

It says nothing about my opinion on the matter. Allowing people to do what they want isn't an endorsement of their behavior.

You have no idea what I'm talking about because you think there are only two sides to this discussion....the defenders of justice and the bigots. I just noted that one of the great injustices of today is the unequal treatment of whites and blacks in our judicial system, but you think I would support Jim Crow laws, or even HB2?

Understand the issue before you roll out the guillotine.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

I can guarantee I'm on the unfavorable side of those tax dollars.

It does not surprise me that you would wish death for me. You sound like a child, unable to cope with alternative views and insisting that you're right.

18. Commodore

he said no legislation

Jim Crow was laws mandating segregation

the left is so messed up now that a private business (or state government facilities) choosing to have separate bathrooms for men and women is equivalent to Jim Crow

19. tksense

tksense Member

I'd say that since the sex change operation as of today still have no ability to 100% anatomically complete a sex change or replace the sex organ, the issue of transgender can't be so black & white.

Why can't they require all govt buildings have new single occupancy bathrooms by a certain date, so problems solved once and for all?

If not allowing trans with a dick to go in women bathrooms is discriminatory, then what about how the majority of the women in the region feel? Did they have a survey which shows that women of NC feel completely safe with trans around? It's democracy right?

Trans don't even make 1% of the population, one single occupancy per building should be enough for their specific need. If you feel it is only equal rights by going to the bathroom of their new sex, then pls first have equal anatomy so there will truly be nothing for anyone to discriminate.

20. heypartner

The bill did two things. It reversed the controversial "Bathroom" provision, but that was just one provision. The larger Charlotte ordinance was to make LGBT's a protected group for any discrimination, like workplace and hiring practicing...hell, even taxis couldn't discriminate.

This isn't solely an issue of bathroom rights...that's why 160 CEO of large corporations are against it, and why Paypal and Deustche Bank have already pulled business out of NC.