1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA 2k17

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayGoogle, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

So I went ahead and bought the game, and as someone mentioned was pleasantly surprised to get My Face Scan included. Boy, you spend so much time on this. My advice for those that haven't played yet is if your first couple scans are bad, just go with a premade face and play the game, b/c you can go update your MyPlayer anytime.

It took me a while, and lighting is a big deal. For me, I didn't put my face to fill up the oval, but backed it out enough to catch my entire face/head when I move from side to side. I have an "Above average" scan, and it doesn't really look like me, but at least it doesn't look like a scary monster.

As for gameplay (MyCareer player here), you start getting to choose your college. So no HS games. No more UT :( You are the man skillwise. So take advantage of that. You get drafted (I got drafted #2), and start playing off the bench. As far as I can tell you are forced to participate in team practices or your minutes will suffer according to my text msg from coach haha. Although I've been playing these games since they came out, I still suck at them. So I find being a 50-60 rating pretty tough, when everyone else is 70+.

I think the whole duo orange juice things interesting, but I haven't figured out how to use it to my advantage yet.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's actually worse tbh because there is a new badge called "Limitless Range" so guys like Curry and Klay will pull up a foot or three behind the line and still drain shots. While they won't do this every time, they do it enough that it annoys you. Although with Klay it's much like real life where he won't try and create on his own...Curry is a different beast though. Then there is Durant....so yeah. Although It's not that he's making contested 3s it's more about just guarding him period. I know there are defensive settings and I probably should look back into it.

Actually the superstars are represented pretty well. They will dominate games and do so in familiar ways. I played against our Rockets and lost thanks to Harden exploding in the 2nd half scoring a variety of ways. It actually reminded me a lot of a Harden game, do basically close to nothing for a half and then boom...Played the Spurs and LMA missed I guess 0 midrange shots and Pau Gasol kept finding his self on the court after drawing a charge or something silly...maybe that was just coincidence though.

Right now though in total the CPU hits way too many 3 pointers on superstar difficulty. Played the all-star game and everyone on the East was draining them. Even Lebron and John Wall and DeRozan....so that needs to be fixed.

3. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I've played a few games, and once you get into it and learn the differences between 2k16 and 17, it's quite fun (although still challenging). Couple of questions:

1. Anyone else having trouble with FTs? There seem to be a lot of misses from great shooters, and a tonne of airballs.

2. Who's a good PG I can get on the Rockets? Beverly is terrible, and misses wide open 3s.

MyCareer is pretty good this year (I gave up after a few games on 2k16)- it's keeping my interest so far.

4. Dei

Dei Member

Last basketball game I played was NBA Live 07, the one with T-Mac on the cover. Is Live still worse than 2K?

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They tried to reboot it a couple years ago. It was such a massive disaster that they didn't even release a game this year. They're allegedly working on one for next season. I'm just guessing here, but it's probably going to be ****.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

NBA Live will never be able to top the Andrew Bynum as Jesus glitch. That will forever remain what I think of when it comes to that game franchise.

Edit

Nvm that wasn't NBA Live. Still it's an amazing video and deserves a mention.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Yes it was. They renamed it "NBA Elite" temporarily because they decided "NBA Live" had been bad for so long that the brand was hurting them instead of helping. So it was still NBA Live in everything but name.

And back on-topic, I did download the Prelude. Face-scanning was a bit painful as it took me about 6 attempts. The one that finally completed displays a corner of my real mouth a bit outside my in-game mouth, so it looks like I have some bizarre scar in the corner of my mouth. But I didn't want to have to run the thing 5 more times, so I just went with it. I liked EA's style of face scanning much better last time I did it a number of years back, where you give it one straight-on shot and one profile shot, then point at reference points, so that "finding your face" isn't an issue.

Anywho... actual gameplay-wise it definitely seems improved. Felt a bit smoother, though there is still more animation lock-in than I'd like. Particularly noticeable in post-play, where it seems near-impossible to get "un-stuck" from your opponent at times, even when you are attempting to run in the opposite direction from your opponent. Thus I was rendered helpless to go for rebounds or blocks that I should've been able to get to (playing center).

MyCareer seems awesome based on Prelude. It's nearly enough to get my to buy it on its own, but not quite. As stated above, the gameplay just isn't quite there yet, plus it's clear they are continuing their policy of giving you awful ratings to try to get you to buy currency to improve your player up to being decent. This demo at least gives me hope that they are trying to get back to more responsive gameplay though. It's just not there yet.

I will be getting my sports storyline kicks from Fifa this year. Was more impressed with "the Journey" in the Fifa 17 demo than I expected to be. It's a huge shame they don't let you scan your face, but at least it's a game with gameplay I enjoy. That matters more than face-scanning.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sounds like you are using the shot stick.

This year you have to use the shot stick perfectly, straight down or up and if it's too much to the left or right you miss shots horribly.

This was made for people that want to play the R.Allen or K.Thompson role. The shot stick gives you a boost to shooting but otherwise just use the shot button especially for FTs.

9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

How are step backs and layups? Can you pick the layup you want to do or with what hand you want to do it?

10. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

7'3 stretch bigs are untouchable 2k brought back the demigods lmao

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@PhiSlammaJamma

I think I might be playing with you on 2k right now. Phislammajamma4 on xb1?

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Not me. I'm PhiSlammaJamma0. But probably better competition, lol, Maybe I have one of those Basetballatars playing for me.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Oh ok my bad. It was a allstar teamup and they guy was beasting with Hakeem lol

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

He won't be a defending champion when the game is released...

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Won't buy, 2k17 has been the most greedy iteration I've probably ever seen in a video game.

I'd be okay with VC only being needed in the MyTeam mode (similar to FIFA), but in 2k17 it even spans through all offline/singeplayer modes. Really couldn't believe my f***in eyes when doing MyGM and needing VC for basic sh** like training camps or every little thing in MyPlayer.

It's also bullsh** to be able to max your player with money and then be able to play online, completely unfair to any person with a lack of cash. Then you also got people with their all-diamond teams in MyTeam, so you can't even compete there. The elite challenges that award cards are also impossible to do unless you have certain, rare cards, it's a complete joke.

This whole game is a huge money-grabbing scheme and I'm disgusted by what 2k pulled off this year. And I'm not even starting to talk about the horrible online gameplay, where you can drill 3s all day long.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I just bought the game and the blacktop 1v1 is not that fun. It's hard to play defense, player gets disoriented and takes a few seconds to re-center. My favorite blacktop game was 2k10 I think.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the defense was awesome. I shut down everyone with my Lockdown Defender back when I was playing.

*The money scheme is awful though, I agree*

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, this basically broke the game for me. If they are left even a little open, the highly rated sharpshooters don't miss...ever. Even in an empty gym nobody makes all of the shots.

I made a highly rated character without spending any money, so that aspect has never bothered me. But the shooting sure as hell does.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

When you first start out your career, when your playing the college games. is there a way to change the quarters from 6:00 mins ?? Wondering if anyone knew.