1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[National Press] Expert: Simple game plan — give Yao the dang ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leilei, Apr 29, 2009.

1. PointForward

PointForward Member

great game plan by the expert..

now, let's have a simple game strategy for Yao:

obtain & Hold your post up position, ya know, like a good post up player whom we should "give the dang ball"..once you do that and make sure that Pryzbilla, who is half your size and skill, doesn't slide in front of you and make you his b!#%^, we will throw in the "dang ball" every "dang" time..

idiot

2. 2rings

2rings Member

Pretty insightful for someone that likely can only catch a rox game here or there. There is a knee jerk reaction by the uninformed that it is Yao's fault for not being assertive enough. While I do believe he could do more, it's not his issue primarily, its our low basketball IQ backcourt's issue. If I was coaching the team, I'd have a simple rule - if you miss Yao in the post on 2 consecutive possessions when he is reasonably open, you sit with me for the next quarter.

3. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

I think we'd run out of players to put on the floor. ;)

4. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

It's a bit too late for Yao to get angry. He should have done something in GM 5.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I wonder if the author has even watched any Rocket games in the series, much less during the regular season. He references 9 for 9 in game 1, then acts like the team just forgot about Yao Ming after that. As if Portland did nothing differently after that game. He says Yao has been 'too often in the high post' since Adelman arrived, when he's rarely ever there. He said something about Adelman always calling for Yao to go set a pick, when Adelman rarely ever calls plays to begin with and there have been articles written this year where he gets mad at Yao for going to set picks instead of trying to get position. I wonder if this guy did anything other than look at the box scores before coming up with this article.

6. RocketsBearFan

Of course when Yao does execute your game strategy, brilliant I might add, Brooks ignores him anyways. You have any strategies for Aaron "deadeye, 13 pts on 20 shots" Brooks?

7. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

oh man, the national sports radio talk has been totally ignorant on this. easier said than done, apparrently.

8. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Yao Ming should opt out and go to Miami or New Orleans! simple as that.

Rockets can do nothing more for him.

9. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

thank god, finally an expert spoke out what i want to say.

10. Seth

Seth Member

Stop blaming everyone else, since Yao is in the NBA all strategies and players have failed to give Yao the ball when the defense sinks on him.

Why do you think duncan is so great? because he can go after the ball, yao cannot do this, he has soft hands and the pass must be nice and easy for him to get the ball secured.

I bet you that if a player throws a lightning pass between the lines the only second Yao is open the ball would bounce in his hands, and everyone here will be saying "what a bad descition by x".

It is not possible to keep blaming other for Yao being a difficult player to assist. It has been like 10 years, get over it. We gotta find more options and better ways than just "give him the ball".

For what is worth, saying "give him the ball" is as usefull as saying "outscore your opponent", you have to say how, and not what to do.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Stop hating Yao! This is Yao's team. If you don't like the fact, leave and follow other teams.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It kind of annoys me how so many people in the national media assume our entire team and coaching staff are morons and don't realize that getting Yao the ball in the post is a good thing.

13. Seth

Seth Member

I am not hating ON YAO i hate on people sayin "give him the ball" as if it was the easier task in the game.

Realise it is not, and come up with ideas, we all know that the team has to give him the ball in good position, it´s just that 2 coaches, and many years after he arrives, there is still no consistent formula to get this done.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Tmac passed the ball to Yao well!

Actually, Yao himself is a good passer. I often see him to pass the ball to Scola. But, I seldom see Scola to pass the ball to Yao! Is Scola a bad passer?!

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I am usually content to let bad posts just rot. But this can't be said enough regarding Yao and the Rockets.

But this is not Yao's team. This is the Houston Rockets. And as such, us Rockets fans arent going anywhere. At least the good ones. And its not hating Yao to state that he cant catch the lob pass very well. That he isn't that great at holding position. There are a grand total of about 5 plays this entire series where the entry pass was NOT made to what seemed to be a clearly open Yao Ming. Every other time you THOUGHT you saw an opening, most people who have played basketball or coached basketball and can see the entire floor realize that the post was not really open. Sometimes Yao was open but the guy on the ball handler was all up on him where he could not make that pass reliably. Thats part of good team post defense, bothering the entry pass.

And geez, let it go with the Rick Adelman just FORGETS about his players. Lets not forget that the 1st quarter of game 5, the one in which yao did not shoot the ball at all, was the highest scoring quarter for the team the entire night. (yes, there were several other factors to that high scoring, so it wasnt all Yao's fault the team scored more)

16. BucMan55

This aint NBA Live 09. You cant just press the button to throw it to Yao and magically it appears into his hands.

Well, in NBA Live 09 Yao can actually move to receive the ball when he is semi-fronted.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Like it or not! Hoston Rockets is Yao's team right now!

18. BucMan55

Very may well be true, but just like the 1st quarter of game 5, I dont care if Yao scores zero points provided the Rockets win the friggin game.

19. Seth

Seth Member

That´s the mentality that will let you down on consistent basis and going fishin by the first round.
    It can not be someone´s team, it has to be A team.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Of course, winning the game is the most important thing! But, the best way to do it is getting Yao involved!