1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

National Championship game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Desert Scar, Jan 4, 2004.

1. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

It's a little too nuts. Tiger bait is the nicest thing they have to say to opposing fans in Death Valley. They start drinking around 8 a.m. and don't stop until gametime. But the tailgate food is delicious, lots of gumbo, deer sausage and BBQ and the atmosphere is awesome....if you're a Tiger fan.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The delayed blitz on 4th down was brilliant! That play call just won LSU a MNC.

Great game. Watching Saban and Stoops match wits for 4 hours was amazing. This game should be on ESPN Classic tomorrow.

3. Fatty FatBastard

what a crappy game. What the hell was Stoops thinking?

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

As OU found out just like Miami 10 years ago, it is close to impossible to beat an SEC team in the Sugar Bowl when so much is riding on the game.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Looks like Snoop was able to recover the trophy just in time!

Congrats LSU. I was truly impressed.

6. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

All hail LSU, your 2003 National Champions.....
    All hail the SEC, the best conference in football, especially if you ask UT, OSU and OU!:D
    Auburn 28
    Wisconsin14

Arkansas 27
    Missouri 14

Georgia (11) 34
    Purdue (13)27

Ole Miss (18) 31
    Oklahoma St (22)28

LSU (2)21
    Oklahoma (3)14
    5-2 bowl record this season.

7. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

Losing the Big 12 title game and still going to the national championship but unable to prove that you belong in the national championship game? Not a good thing. It has to be embarrassing. OU is going to be getting plenty of criticism. They are going to be hearing about it alot.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If a team cannot win their division they do not deserve to play for a national title.

But anyways... Way to go TIGERS!!!! :D

9. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

Big 12 = overrated

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would still take Stoops over Brown every day of the year.

DD

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And today's Captain Obvious award goes to...

:D

12. junglerules

junglerules Member

As a big 12 fan, I can't say much to refute that at this point. Big 12 went 2-6 in the bowls, right? Ouch. That'll leave a mark.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I can never miss a chance for a home run when the softball is lobbed up there like that !!

DD

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I was wrong, I'll admit it.

But for once, it was great to be wrong. As a UT student, any time OU loses is a good thing, and to see Justin Vincent embarrass OU's vaunted defense on the 1st play was awesome. Then the Webster INT told me all I needed to know. OU was cooked. Sure they hung tough, but after that start, I just knew LSU was going to win.

I just hope Saban stays at LSU so he can give Stoops nightmares the rest of his time at OU because god knows Mack Brown and his football for dummies coordinators sure can't.

Finally, Corso and Herbstreit are the biggest idiots tonight. Suggesting the BCS is better than a playoff system is incredibly dumb. But BCS head Mike Tranghese takes the cake.

From an article on ESPN.com, here are some of the negatives of a playoff to those who control the process.

Among the objections: a playoff would negatively affect graduation rates, the results of the regular season, and the outcome of this on the bowl system. It is not, Tranghese emphasized, a decision based on money.

And here is Mike's response:

I just came here from the Gator Bowl," he said. "The players from Maryland and West Virginia had an incredible experience. That game is not making anybody any money. Our payout was $1.8 million. Each team's expenses were $1 million. You think we're doing it for $800,000? Criticize us for not having a playoff, but it's not the money. Our graduation rates would go down and we would get killed."

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

And the split title is official.

USC takes the AP Poll, LSU takes the coaches poll(with three coaches voting USC No. 1).

Here's an ironic twist for you - if the BCS didn't exist, this title would not be split.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i was just thinking that earlier. thanks to the bcs and it's mandated coaches vote we got the split NC that was the correct outcome whereas it would've been an outright for usc which wouldn't have been fair to lsu.

so the ap player of the year/heisman winner, thorpe/nagurski winner, lombarbi winner, butkus/bednarik award winner and the coach of the year could only come up with a 2 loss season? could we maybe try to have some actual non-blinded by the hype voting next time? i mean all of them were good players on a good team but many others had the same credentials and to essentially hand every single award to one team even though that team lost once before voting was complete is ridiculous.

damn it was sweet to see ou lose. just think if we beat wsu we probably finished ranked ahead of them. though word is we may get some coaching changes out of our loss (we can only pray) so maybe it's the best of both worlds.

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

afterthought:

So what does OU achieve this year? They didn't win their conference, nor did they win the title. Oh they did make a trip to the supposed title game, and earn a ton of hype during the season. Nice.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's tough to figure who got more undeserved hype throughout the season, ou or michigan. i mean at least ou was dominating for the first 11 games while being hyped. michigan lost and still kept getting talked about in the upper echelon of teams like lsu/ou/lsu. though i am grateful to um for beating osu (they finished #4? geez somebody kill them off already), they got talked about way too much i thought.

damn i'm glad ou lost. God didn't even put a guy back to return the punt, what was up with that.

though it never should have come to that. the ball was getting spotted amazing early on those last 3 plays and actually forced lsu to do the thing they sucked at most, punt, one last time when they shouldn't have. they got the ball with under 2 minutes left and 3 plays always takes care of the clock under two minutes, and not only did it not this time, but there were still 9 seconds left. instead of the usual 15 seconds taken to spot the ball it was 8 or 9 seconds.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did mike Stupps call the defense in this game?
    in the K State game?

I heard them call a name but i don't think it was Mike Stupps

this may explain
    why the Defense was not as cohesive

but I'm a big 12 guy
    we looked pretty pathetic this bowl season

OU , UT , and K State

Rocket River

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Since there wasn't an actual national championship game, the title of this thread needs to be changed.