1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NASCAR] Tony Stewart apparently runs over opposing driver

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, Aug 9, 2014.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Fact is the dude got out of his car, gonna be hard to prove intent. Stewart walks but not in traffic.

2. MONON

MONON Member

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I don't follow Sprint Car racing close enough to know if it is common there, but it definitely isn't common in the more professional leagues. Yeah I've seen plenty of gesturing, pointing and throwing of helmets, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get close to the path of another car passing by under caution. That is just stupid.

4. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Tony did it on purpose. His usual temper at it again

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You don't have to prove intent for vehicular manslaughter.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If the best a prosecutor can do is try for manslaughter I don't think they will try at all.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/new-york-law/new-york-involuntary-manslaughter-laws.html

8. REEKO_HTOWN

I understand what manslaughter is but the prosecutor can't be sure he can get a manslaughter charge...in a race track...with car non street legal cars...with a man willingly running in the middle of it.

This will be a civil matter and my guess Tony writes a $1 mil check at most.

Just chalk this up to Darwin and leave it alone. Some people are just too emotional and that can get them killed.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm not sure how this statement...

relates to this one...

You make it sound as if a manslaughter charge is no big deal. I posted that info to show you, it is, in fact, a big deal.

If there's enough cause to reason out manslaughter, they're not going to go "pfft, that's not even worth my time... go murder or go home, baby".

10. REEKO_HTOWN

You may think you can prove manslaughter Donny but I don't think it will happen.

I don't think they will feel there's enough evidence. There needs to be motive for 'murder' so you you will be disappointed here too. I've read enough stories of bicyclists getting killed by drivers and not even getting a manslaughter charge or getting it dropped to see the probably outcome here and I HATE Smoke.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't know if you can prove it, but I think it's a worthwhile and appropriate charge to pursue.

Dafuq are you talking about? I didn't suggest it was murder.

I think you're right about him cutting a check. Sponsors are also going to bail on him too, so there's that. It will be curious to see how it plays out.

12. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

Yea, I suppose “dick” is one word to describe Tony Stewart at this point. I’m not going to sit here and say he did it on purpose, but I will say it’s a bit wild there is even speculation that he did it on purpose, and nobody finds it preposterous at all. That’s what I’ve been thinking about..the fact that it’s basically a coin flip on if he did it on purpose, and people wouldn’t be shocked if it was. Not a good look. Not a great reputation to have when people think you ran over another human being on purpose. Obviously we’ll never know what the **** was going through Tony Stewart’s head when he saw Kevin Ward standing in the middle of the track the other night. Some people say it’s obvious he fish tailed and clipped Ward on purpose. Some people are saying if every other car got out of the way, why didn’t Tony? It’s just a ridiculous situation, and yea, Tony Stewart was a bit of a dick after it. Should Kevin Ward have stepped out onto a race track where cars were still zooming around? Of course not. But what happened happened, and what a huge slap in the face to Kevin Ward’s family that he was going to ho hum drive the next day as if nothing happened. Getting into his race car as if he wasn’t responsible for killing a person the night before. It’s insanity.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

This is the most plausible explanation IMO. You've got two guys in the heat of the moment after a wreck in a pro event of a sport drowning in testosterone. Stewart has a reputation of being ill-tempered and aggressive. Probably meant to scare him or throw dirt on him. Miscalculated, and boom... worst circumstance come to life.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Or maybe he just didn't see him

The first car barely missed him

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

http://www.si.com/racing/2014/08/10/tony-stewart-kevin-ward-legal-ramifications

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

If this goes to any type of trial Stewart will have well paid lawyers that will put the guy from the car in front of him on the stand. He's already been quoted as saying he didn't see Ward until he was up on him. They will contend that as he walked further down the track he was less visible and Tony didn't see him either. Whether it was the truth or not that seems plausible. I would guess a civil suit will be settled because Stewart won't want to have to defend his actions and Wards family may not want to have to defend his recklessness of getting out of the car and walking into the traffic area.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Yup, if Stewart through his reckless/negligent action caused Ward's death he could be found liable.

I'll leave that for a jury. I think there's enough "doubt" out there whether the action was reckless/negligent for an experience driver.

#117 Smokey, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  18. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I've seen this posted several times in this thread about him having a temper/hothead or whatever ... Could some of you saying this please give some examples of past incidents ?

19. likestohypeguy

Generally, yes. However in this case given his skillset and experience on the track, the onus is on Stewart to prove that there was nothing HE could have done to avoid hitting that guy trying to intercept his car on foot, in order to be found not guilty of involuntary murder. At the very least that angry aunt on twitter needs a million dollars, for the tragedy and his punishment.

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Nevermind ...plenty of examples on youtube .