1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NASCAR] Tony Stewart apparently runs over opposing driver

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, Aug 9, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He did.

He locked up the Darwin Award.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I mean it's awful but he ran out onto a superhighway

#22 Commodore, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Looks like he was pissed about something, seemed like he was pointing at Stewarts car and purposely ran out in front of him putting his hand out trying make him stop or something.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sorry for the triple posting but just re-watched it and figured it all out.

Stewart (#14) cut off the driver causing him to spin out and crash off the track, the driver was pissed at Stewart because of it. He hopped out of his car, purposely ran out on the track pointing at Stewarts car with anger, ran in front of Stewarts car with his hand out trying to force him to stop. Stewart didn't stop (or in time at least) and hit the driver.

Poor guys, such a stupid way to die, and to kill a man. Rip, thoughts and prayer to the drivers family.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Ummm isn't this obvious after the first time watching it?

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not really, the first time I watched it I was more in shock of the man being hit and didn't notice anything else going on or why (I also didn't read the highlighted article which explains it too, woops just noticed that) about the 3rd time watching it I focused on why he spun out, which car ran him off, which car he ran in front of, and which car hit him.

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

Definitely looks like he turns into him... I don't see the argument about him "speeding up to avoid" some people are making evident anywhere in the video...

When the video starts, the cars are split into both sides of the lane, as soon as the accident happens at the turn, they all hug the apron... except for one guy... Tony Stewart, who is higher up, closer to Kevin Ward's vehicle than the apron... He accelerates, and his front wheels are clearly fixed to the right just as the hit happens, and the vehicle's momentum continues to the right shortly after impact...

Some people may argue he was speeding up and turning right to swerve his vehicle to the left... but, it doesn't make sense coming out of that left turn at that velocity... that high up on the lane...

From that video, it really looks deliberate... The driver, apparently, has a history of having a bad temper...?

If so, that combined with the video doesn't really help his case...

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

for sure. i don't get why people are saying he tried to avoid him, he clearly turns into him.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he didn't run through any cars. he was just closer to them on the sidelines than he should have been and tony turned his car into him.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Can't tell what Stewart was doing on that video

There are 3 scenarios.

He didn't see the guy and it was a total accident.
    He saw the guy and ran him over on purpose.
    He saw the guy, was still heated, and had other things on his mind other than just getting out of the way, but he didn't intend to hit him.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

#3 is most likely, but I just can't see a way how, with good representation, Tony Stewart gets a serious punishment for this. They will be able to spin it pretty easily. I mean the dude came within 5ft of hitting two OTHER cars too. As soon as you see him get out of his own car you're just like, "NO NO NO NO NO", so what can you do. Sounds like the kid had just as big a temper as Tony, and obviously he lost the battle of the penises considering he voluntarily removed his protection.

Maybe prosecutors go after him with involuntary manslaughter? I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like community service and probation given Stewart hires expensive, local lawyers.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Since the other one was taken down...

NSFW!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ja7TlxpPb_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP Kevin Ward

13. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

doesn't look like he turned into him...i think that's just to correct the car's tail AFTER the impact. If he doesn't turn into, the rear would have kept going.

kind of looks like he goosed it thinking to spit dirt/intimidate & miss timed it. Hard to tell from only that angle.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hard to say without seeing the other angle. I can see why people think he turned into him, but on that curve, if the was drifting too close to him and Stewart was afraid he'd bump him with the rear fender, he could have tried to correct right to avoid the drift. The guy in the article does state the rear end slid out, so that tells me he went in with the rear leading and didn't just turn right to bump him, but I'm no car race fan, so maybe I'm not understanding what the guy is describing.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow, I go home read this news after driving back home from downtown austin, I try to get on the on ramp of i-35 and it immediately stopped, I was like WTF!! then I saw a dude lying in the highway with a pool of blood.
    I don't care how pissed off someone is, you don't walk on the highway or in this case the race track.

http://kxan.com/2014/08/10/man-dies-in-downtown-i-35-crash/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The northbound lanes of Interstate 35 through Downtown Austin are closed after a man was hit and killed while trying to cross the interstate.

Austin Police say it happened between 10th & 11th Streets around 2 a.m. Sunday and that the driver didn’t stop.

According to Austin-Travis Co. EMS, a man in his 30s was pronounced dead at the scene.

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

After watching it in frame by frame slow mo it looks like dude actually grabbed the wing of Tony's car, causing the swerve, and then gets pulled under the right rear tire.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Very sad.

I was going to post a Frogger screenshot, but then thought better of it. Too soon...

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

Using the fact that he was seemingly higher up on the track than the rest of the drivers is a silly argument. The kid intended to get close to Tony's car no matter where he was positioned on the track. It's not like Tony darted from the apron to the middle of the track when he saw him coming.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

So less than 12 hours after that event, Tony Stewart will be racing again today....ok. Wow.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

I am huge NASCAR fan and I would be shocked if either NASCAR, his sponsor or both didn't talk some sense into him and he ends up sitting out.