1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NASA is full of crap] Space experts warn Congress that NASA’s “Journey to Mars” is illusory

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bandwagoner, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Cranberry_Juice

Just put some bilstiens on that rocket and you should be good.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

ISS is best

#22 Bandwagoner, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is certainly a lot of waste in NASA, but if we are going to waste government money, i'd rather it go to good paying jobs that might actually be producing something.

4. Bandwagoner

ISS is best

#24 Bandwagoner, Feb 5, 2016
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny. I posted that information not trying to claim it was the big reason that makes the mission is difficult or the top problem.

I only posted it because I thought it was interesting that something small like that can actually be a problem. It isn't something folks would usually think of as a hurdle towards sending people to Mars, but it actually was a hurdle. It's only one of the reasons why we can't just use the same exact engineering and technology used for unmanned space travel when sending folks up in a manned space craft.

Little stuff I like, I find interesting. It's also something that I don't think many people think about when they think of the problems with manned space travel. So I thought I'd throw it out there. I was shocked when I heard that it was an issue, and it kind of opened my mind to the limitless possible problems that these missions face.

If most other folks don't care about it, that's fine too. My interests are usually outside of the mainstream. I kind of like it that way.

1 person likes this.
  6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Have we fully mapped and explored the ocean floors yet? That seems like something that the brilliant minds at NASA could easily tackle? Also, what about penetrating the Earth's crust and seeing how deep we can really go?

Space is really cool, but it just seems like there's so much here on Earth that can be learned and it seems to all be well within our reach. That said, I'd feel like a kid again if I were to be alive to witness a manned trip to Mars.

7. Bandwagoner

ISS is best

#27 Bandwagoner, Feb 5, 2016
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The validity comes from first hand sources who were actually working on the project.

When I hear something nonsensical I start questioning the validity also. But when I have knowledge from family and friends who were from two different aspects of the project independently confirming the same thing.

Here's how it came up. Some one from up in the bureaucracy asked why they can't just do use the same technology they've used in unmanned space flight for the manned flight going to Mars. It was explained that initially they started to use the same technology then discovered the immense vibrations and shaking made it impossible to view the screen as well as difficult to handle the controls.

Just because you are ignorant about this obviously won't stop you from acting like you know it all, and making yourself look silly. We know that. We've seen that pattern from you before.

Like I said you can change that attitude that makes you think you know everything and save yourself some embarrassment or not. Either way it doesn't matter to me.

And yes I'm a teacher. LOL!

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There are a very valid reasons to exploit low orbit space and develop asteroid deterrence. Not so much for humans going to Mars. Put the money in AI and send them... there is no rush, 10, 20 30 years, What's the difference?

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

am i missing the "joke" somewhere? why are you being extremely rude to everyone in this thread?

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

It's his MO. He comes across as a miserable individual.

Go read the thread he's referencing. His reaction to SpaceX sticking the landing was to crap on the achievement. And he has the nerve to call me a tard...

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As we all know, those who have followed the space program for many years, objectives change from one administration to another. The level of funding changes from the change of that influence and, critically, with the level of NASA funding made available by Congress, which also changes with the political winds.

My own opinion is that Orion will never go to Mars, not as it's designed. A lot of the tech might, eventually, but not parked in what we're developing now. How will we use it? As you point out (and I'm glad someone mentioned it as it's been a concern of mine for a long time), threats from asteroids and comets are very real and history tells us that we will get hit, and hit hard, someday. To assume that "someday" has to be in the far future is ludicrous. As it stands now, we frequently miss significant asteroids that pass within the Moon's orbit at an appalling frequency, asteroids that could potentially cause huge amounts of damage. We currently could do nothing more than watch them as they approach Earth, assuming we spot them in time to "leisurely" watch them approach. Orion is our attempt to have a manned option that could, hopefully, reach an asteroid (or comet) we've actually spotted in time to possibly do something about it. The city killers. The coastal population killers. The civilization killers. The extinction event asteroids and comets. Again, in my opinion.

The other use? Some may not like this, but while private enterprise is surprisingly making quick progress in developing low Earth orbit spacecraft that are capable of supplying the ISS, ending our dependence on Russia (a disgrace), it will be a very long time before they are capable of reaching the Moon and returning to Earth, much less doing so with a significant cargo carrying capability. So why mention the Moon? The Chinese are going there. The same Chinese government busy claiming vast areas of international waters as "Chinese territory." If China is going to the Moon, we will not sit back and let them "have it." We will be right back there, again, and this time establishing a base or bases for a long term stay. In my humble opinion.

13. Bandwagoner

ISS is best

#33 Bandwagoner, Feb 5, 2016
  14. Bandwagoner

ISS is best

#34 Bandwagoner, Feb 5, 2016
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Bandwagoner are you having trouble at home? work? Is this your only outlet in life?

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If so, he could sign up for MarsOne.

1 person likes this.
  17. Bandwagoner

ISS is best

#37 Bandwagoner, Feb 5, 2016
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you sure you're not thinking about the G forces that astronauts would be subjected to that might not be as much of an issue to unmanned missions? I have no doubt that vibration tolerance is greater on unmanned craft than manned but if just that the astronauts were having trouble viewing their screens that could be easily addressed.

Besides just motion there are far greater problems with manned versus unmanned for a Mars mission. Radiation shielding, how to get enough O2 and H2O to keep astronauts alive, temperature control, pressure control and etc..

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If it makes you feel better I highly doubt the Chinese will claim the Moon. Just because the Chinese claim large chunks of the South China Sea doesn't mean they will go about claiming anything. The Chinese argument (which I agree is questionable) has to do with historical claim going to back to the Ming Dynasty when the Chinese emperor drew tribute from local kingdoms while Chinese fisherman and traders worked those waters for hundreds of years. Unless the PRC can show a historical tie to the Moon I don't think even they would actually try to lay claim to it.

20. Bandwagoner

ISS is best

#40 Bandwagoner, Feb 5, 2016