1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Napster?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PhiSlammaJamma, May 23, 2000.

Tags:
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

I've been getting music off this Napster.com place? Are there other sites that might be faster. Sometimes it takes like 20 seconds to download. And then sometimes like 30 minutes. any suggestions.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

2. 34dream

34dream Member

It depends on the user, from which you are downloading. I just downloaded a song from the Talking Heads with 37 kb/sec. I don't know of any faster sites. Use Napster as long as it still exists: Metallica and Puff Daddy already sued. Try also www.napigator.com; there you can change songs with friends, who use Napster too.

------------------

3. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i almost got a job there not that it has much to do with this..but in my experience and understanding the way it is set up has to do with the line speed..the line you have the line the person you are loading from has..you could have a T3 but if they have a 33k modem it will still be slow.....

look at the transfer rate..you want it to be acceptable or just cancel it..there is another website out of israel cant think of the name..they offer the same service..if you go to the napster website and read the press release section there are articles that talk about the napster competition their names etc..i think they comp wont be any different in the end as it comes down to connection speed on both ends......

------------------

4. 34dream

34dream Member

Exactly, sirhangover. I thought that it's obligatory to only download from Cable or faster. A little tip: Try the "Unknowns", they are often very fast, since the users behind don't want very many downloaders.
    sirhangover, if you could recognize the name of the Israeli website... BTW, what do you work that you almost got a job at Napster?

------------------

[This message has been edited by 34dream (edited May 23, 2000).]

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Yo, FileQuest is awesome. You can download as many as you want at a time and it takes like 60 seconds for each one. How Sweet it is! Thanks again!!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited May 23, 2000).]

7. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

imesh is the one i was thinking of they are the ones out of israel...

the napster position is the business dev position they are hiring on and off.... but I got a job in houston so i am coming back home..but california is nice..they are hiring for programmers like crazy...i think they would be fun to work for..inga the HR woman is kind of a b*tch..

------------------

8. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I used filequest like a madman until the system went down late last summer. Since then, I've been using good old napster. I guess they changed filequest around, but I must say I got a crapload of my mp3's from there. But IMHO, napster just rocks. From my experience from filequest, it took a while to find the mp3 you wanted, cause many of the host servers were down, while napster only lists the mp3's that are still available.

Like Sirhangover says, it depends on the computer you are transferring with. Thats why when you conduct your search, they give a long list of your selections with the fastest comps listed first. The lower the ping number, the faster the connection or availability.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Metallica and Dr. Dre.

BTW, does anyone else find it hilarious that here you have a hardcore gang-banger *ahem* who in his songs with NWA promoted anti-police remarks, defamatory remarks towards women, talked about killing people right and left and now you have him pissed that somebody's stealing his songs using Napster?

Anybody find just incredible irony in that? I'm laughing my tail off. "I'm a hardcore gang-bangin' foo, ready to pop a cap in yo dome, but pweez stop illegal distribution of my songs; it's hurting my feelings.

This is just a whack world we live in.

------------------
    ?

10. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

puffy is a lame trash dork..nobody wants his whack music anyway..

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

And also D0D, what about freakin meatloafica, that garage cd of there's is all cover stuff. So lets get this straight, they are making millions of dollars playing other bands songs, and they are upset with joe blow, who makes $6 an hour at McDonalds, for downloading their songs. geez, does anybody just wanna make music anymore, or is it all about money?

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

12. 34dream

34dream Member

Thank you Doc, I stand corrected. Not that it makes a difference. [​IMG]

------------------

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Usenet News.....the only way to fly.. Course it ain't free, but you get a dependable(most of the time)server and tons more. Napster or any of the others like it can't even come close to a fat news server.

------------------

14. Redglare

Redglare Member

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Interesting comment there. How does that work? I've used Usenet for about 5-10 years now and still think it's one of the worst mediums to transfer files (it wasn't meant to do it). First, you have to make sure what you want is on the newsserver and it hasn't expired the articles. Then you'd have to make sure that all the pieces of the encoded messages exist. Unless you have a mult-threaded newsreader (do they exist?), you can't d/l multiple files at the same time like you can with Napster (or I guess you can use Deja and multpiple browsers). You can't tell the frequency or bit-rate the cuts are recorded at with Usenet (like you can with Napster). The search feature in Napster would be far quicker and better from what I can guess. As I type this, there are over 2 terabytes of music on Napster's servers (well, connected via their servers anyway). The reason apps like Napster exist and are so popular is because they rival a Usenet feed. People have been trading files using Usenet for years... Napster is a step up IMO.

But hey, if you can prove me otherwise, I'm willing to learn... [​IMG]

------------------
    ?

16. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Dr of Dunk:
    First, you have to make sure what you want is on the newsserver and it hasn't expired the articles. Then you'd have to make sure that all the pieces of the encoded messages exist.

Ok...a lot depends on the newsreader you use.
    I use Agent and if the header is there..so is the article.

Unless you have a mult-threaded newsreader (do they exist?), you can't d/l multiple files at the same time like you can with Napster (or I guess you can use Deja and multpiple browsers).

There may be some multi-thread browsers out there, I dunno. But this kinda depends on your dload speed. Your still going to be limited by the max kbs on your end. Whether your dloading 2 3meg files concurrently or sequentialy...it's still 6 mg total. But this only works IF the news server can match your max kbs speed. Mine can match the speed of my 256 kbit DSL rather easily...in fact they offer speeds up to 1000 kbit...in one wants to pony up the dough for it.

You can't tell the frequency or bit-rate the cuts are recorded at with Usenet (like you can with Napster). The search feature in Napster would be far quicker and better from what I can guess.

Ya got me there.... If your looking for specifics, then Usenet can be a pain. But I can search within a group. And for me, that's part of the fun. I like searching for new types of music...just seeing what all's out there.

As I type this, there are over 2 terabytes of music on Napster's servers (well, connected via their servers anyway). The reason apps like Napster exist and are so popular is because they rival a Usenet feed.

I don't have specifics on the amount of data that Usenet offers, but I'll hazard a guess that it rivals or evens tops that.

People have been trading files using Usenet for years... Napster is a step up IMO.

And people are still trading files on Usenet and will be for years, unless big brother tries to bogart us. Napster probably is a step up as far as MP3's go. but I think the main thing about Usenet is the variety....not just music, but tons of other things...software..graphics and info on just about any subject you want.

Sooooooooo...did you learn anything [​IMG]

17. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Does Clutch get mad about someone stealing his stuff?

Ask Dusty Garza or Frank Swindle.

18. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

RM95,
    Come on, dude. Lower yourself from your high-horse and open your mind a bit.

The recoding industry cares not about their artists, only how much money those artists can bring them.

Artists are used and abused every single day. Is that fair? Is it fair that so many artists don't even own their own art. Is it fair that many artists die broke while many labels are still getting rich from the past work of said artists?

Do you make casette tapes for your walkman or your car? Do you consider that theft? Is it theft when i download a song that I already own? What if i download a song and go out and buy the CD because i liked it? How about when I go and buy a CD because I liked one song and the rest of the disk sucked. Who got ripped off then?

What about the raping the industry is doing to us all by charging us close to $20 for a CD when it only cost then about a dollar or two per CD to manufacture? Who's stealing from who?

What's going here is a wake-up call to the industry. They no longer have all of the control that they worked so hard to get. Over the past decade or two many of the labels have been consolidated down to about 5 major players. They have the control over artists and the consumers.

Now the people are saying "Screw you, dude. Things have to change."

The industry has resisted giving the public choices in how they acquire music.

Just because the record industry calls it theft does not neccessarily make it so. No one talks about how they are stealing from us and their artists.

Prince has been a major force behind making artists aware of the evil that is the major labels. Frank Zappa has always preached the importance of retaining ownership of one's music. Chuck D of Public Enemy is also for artistic rights.

I, personally, do not exclusively just listen to music that I have downloaded. I download stuff for me to listen to while at work. Much of it is stuff that I already own at home. Some is not. If I really like it then I'm going to go buy it. I don't have an MP3 player for my home stereo or car, nor do i intend to do so. I like the quality of CDs better. I like getting the artwork.

In 20 years from now the industry will be completely different and it will be because the people spoke up and demanded change.

Too many people talk about Microsoft being a monopoly, but no one talks about the music industry. In fact many artists are going to court right now in protest of a bill that the recording industry had made. It basically strips the songwriter from EVER regaining the copyright to his/her material after 35 years of it's release. This bill was passed without a vote. It just appeared.

Your analogies on the most part are lame (no offense). The book industry is not resisting the change that the internet brings. In fact they are already exploring selling e-books. They will have devices that are just for e-books. Stephen King, I think, was the first major author to release a book only in e-book form. It sold like mad because there is a market for it. It was cheaper then regular books, too.

Don;t get me wrong. I'm not glorifing music theft by way of Napster. I tend to think that most people use it within reason. Some don't, but isn't that typical of just about anything in life. Do you jugde everything in life by what the minority of bad people do? What's the phrase? "A few bad apples...."

You get the point.

So to sum it all up, it's not all cut and dry like you are presenting it. Change needs to be made. The people are demanding it. Don't call us theives because we want fairness. Don't defend the ultra-rich executives who live off of the talent of others.

Once artists believe that they can get thier music heard without selling away their lives, the world will be a better place.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's not me who needs to get off his high horse. It's these people who think that recording artists or executives don't deserve to make the money they do. Hey, if you're going to buy a CD for one song, and you haven't heard any other songs, that's your problem. Here in Austin, if I want a CD, but I've only heard one song, I go to Waterloo Records. I ask to hear the CD before I buy it. That way I know if I like it or not.

Downloading songs for free is not right. If you don't agree with how much money they make, stop buying the records. Two wrongs don't make a right.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in mid-June, for now visit www.eesite.com)

20. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

In this day and age, i shouldn't have to go to some overpriced record store just to sample a cd. I'd rather listen on my own terms and make my decision that way. Besides, I buy most of my music online and those 30 second samples on CDNow hardly ever do a song justice.

Like with most major coprporations, the music industry is full of too many people with their fingers in the pie. Times are a changing and all of those useless suits are just not as important as they think they are.

If you are against change that makes things better for Joe Q. Public then just say so. Don't defend the people who are ruining things for us and the artists.

You never answered my questin about making tapes. Do you? Has a friend ever made you a tape of a CD that he just bought? Have you ever made a compilation tape for someone before? Have you ever gone to a friends house and made a tape of some of the stuff he has?

Do you think spending $15-$20 for a CD is fair. Recently the industry lost a battle that allowed them to strongarm the retailers into overpricing their music. Retailers were not allowed to sell music at competetive prices for the longest time.

Seeing how there are no more singles, or 45's, how does one go about just getting the one song that they want?

Like I said, I'm not fighting for free music. I'm fighting for change in how things are done. The industry will have no choice but to join the digital revolution. It won;t be long before they give in and start offering more music digitally. Soon you will be able to download whatever song you want. My hope is that they will be fair in what they charge. I think that anything between 50 cents and a dollar per song is fair, considering that there will be no manufacturing costs involved.

People have always bought music and they always will. When the cassette tape recorder came about, the industry was up in arms about how they will lose money and how people will stop buying music. When the CD player came out in the early 80s the music industry fought against it because they thought all of thier music would be pirated and sold on the black maket.

Well, here we are in the year 2000 and we have a new format in which to deliver music and as always, the music industry is against it.

Fact is that music sales are at an all-time high. More CDs were sold this year than there was at this time last year.

Don't fight change, man! Check your facts.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!