1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nancy Pelosi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 12, 2018.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I actually agree with this. Millions of Americans have been left behind. There is a massive gap in wealthy and inequality in this country, and a resentment towards the establishment. And that's a non-partisan take there.

The truth though is that this gap didn't just start when Biden became president. It started with Reagan, and continued through Clinton. By that time the train was already barreling down the tracks and there was little that Obama and Trump could do to stop it.

The single biggest systemic issue is the Supreme Court's decision to say that corporations are people, and they should have unlimited influence to buy off politicians. Now the entire government. Not just Dems or Republicans, work for corporations and do NOT put the American working class first in their policies. I personally vote for Democrats at this time because at least a good deal of them want to do away with money in politics, and have good policies that bought off politicians like Joe Manchin will never let pass.

Then you have tax cuts for the rich, the ability to poison our water, the poisoning of our cultural divide by FoxNews, and the MAGA right, and the foreign influence discourse, and Facebook's massive platform for discourse.... all the while Americans have to continue to pay more and more for less.

It's a recipe for civil unrest, and lawlessness. Nancy Pelosi might say she doesn't really know where the lawlessness is coming from but she should know.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

like I've said before, all those smash-and-grabbers going after expensive watches and handbags are simply ambitious entrepreneurs that we all should be proud of

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh man I guess we have to go back to that discussion we had over and over about normative vs positive claims.

Who is saying that we shouldn't incarcerate people who steal ****? We are discussing the effects that systemic wealth inequality beings based on human history.

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you brought up incarceration. I brought up Nancy Pelosi and her cluelessness about lawlessness. stay on topic, chowd ;)

5. fchowd0311

You brought up a tweet claiming the cause of lawlessness is Democrat rhetoric. I couldn't give two craps about Pelosi. My entire point of contention has nothing to do with defending her but pointing out my disagreement with the premise of the tweet you posted.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you should start an incarceration thread. I.D.I.O.T.

7. fchowd0311

8. Major

Major Member

I think it's the people that love getting things done. She has routinely been able to corral a caucus with huge disagreements to pass legislation that has defied the odds. Whether it was climate legislation during the Obama years or BBB today with a tiny majority (with major disagreements with each other), she pulls rabbits out of the hat all the time in ways that no one else really does - not McConnell or Schumer, not Paul Ryan or John Boehner. She's gotten more consequential and powerful legislation through the House than anyone is recent history. The problem is always the Senate.

VooDooPope likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They all know. They cover each others' asses if it suits them best to keep quiet. Too many lawyers, too many raised with a silver spoon, and too many who seek insider trading to make themselves wealthier, or tit for tat favors with wealthy corporations are politicians.

Can you imagine the money they made off the pandemic by promoting or giving contracts to "certain" drug manufacturers, treatments, mask manufacturers, and anyone else seeking something for something in return? I won't even touch all the international political moves made to seek recognition, trademarks or patents for their kids or spouses, or jobs given to unqualified or gold seeking family members and relatives.

dobro1229, fchowd0311 and Astrodome like this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with Pelosi's opposition on this one.

#93 deb4rockets, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, everyone in congress and their long lost siblings does insider trading.

deb4rockets and Andre0087 like this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Guess that former bar tender aint getting rich off stocks.

Biden built his brand partly by not dipping into stocks. It worked well for him politically since Delaware is a sleazy Corporate captured state and that rep hasn't really stuck onto him, but it also likely drove Hunter Biden to earn the black sheep label as the family breadwinner.

Well meaning politicians don't have it easy when it comes to money. The amount of power and the circles they frequent doesn't match up to their current earning potential.

It's easy to dismiss it with a silent violin, but we all have human needs and desires to size up with our peers. When they lose office, they rejoin those same peers usually at a significantly lower standing. For example, the Clintons flirted w/ bankruptcy after his presidency. That's not something people feel bad about or be expected to do something either.

Society demands them to do right things, but we don't really reward that. If civil service is the reward, I'd rather be a private millionaire where I can do whatever i want without people getting on my ass 24/7. And with this reinforcement loop, those who stick around long enough like Pelosi do Pelosi things.

I'm not condoning the current crony state of affairs, but I also think we're not putting politicians in a position to succeed with the public's welfare in mind.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Unfortunately in this country we call those politicians that do the right thing "communists". It's a great tactic to flush them out so they don't ruin it for the other politicians.

ROCKSS, deb4rockets and dobro1229 like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Looking at how the corrupt the CCP is, I think it's more cultural than ideological.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Hello, it's Nancy."

Pelosi is running for reelection again. For the children. For. The. Children.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

...and that's why I keep this one on standby.

Seriously, she needed to make room for new blood...tired of these fossils that won't give the next generation a shot.

[​IMG]