1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name some CenterFielders in MLB history better than Marisnick...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, May 8, 2016.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Willie Mays
    Andruw Jones
    Kirby Puckett
    Jim Edmonds
    Carlos Beltran
    Lenny Dykstra
    Kenny Lofton
    Devon White
    Eric Davis
    Darren Lewis
    Marquis Grissom
    Andy Van Slyke
    Steve Finley
    Darrin Jackson
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Cesar Cedeno
    Mike Cameron
    Lance Johnson
    Mookie Wilson
    Carl Everett
    Daryl Hamilton
    Tom Goodwin
    Duke Snider
    Brett Butler
    Doug Glanville

Other than Cedeno, Mays, and Snider, these guys are mostly from the 90s and 00's...I cant imagine how many people there are in the 70s, 60s, etc...

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I thought about some of these guys. I definitely disagree on Everett, Finley, and Lewis. Cameron is a good pull and one I should've thought of given Daz. A lot of the others I thought of but couldn't say are definitively better (namely Dystkra, Van Slyke, Glanville, White, Grissom). I wonder what the advanced defensive metrics would say.

3. rezdawg

Dykstra had a season where his defensive WAR was over 3.0...that's incredible. To put it in perspective, I dont think Beltran has ever hit above 2.0.

EDIT: Just checked and Beltran hit 2.2 his second year in the league and only hit 2.0 one other time in his career. Jim Edmonds highest in his career was 1.5.

4. kaleidosky

wow. I guess I watched him more during the 2nd half of his career, so maybe that's part of it. Also surprising to see that, given your info above, he has no GG's? We all know the bias with GG's, but not even 1 for someone who even 1 advanced stat says was THAT much better than some of the greats?

Of course, defensive WAR also is pretty imperfect / inconsistent between sources even at this point, right?

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm not trolling, I'm honestly shocked that you would make a thread like this. This is literally a stupid question to ask.

6. rezdawg

Yeah, definitely imperfect, but it was the quickest way I could find some info on these guys...that might possibly clue us in on some of their abilities defensively.

For what it's worth, I looked up single season highs for dWAR...Carlos Gomez in 2013 posted the 7th highest defensive WAR of all time regardless of position played (4.6 dWAR). Interestingly enough, Kevin Kiermaier (age 25 at the time) posted a 5.0 last season for the Rays, giving him the highest single season dWAR for a CF in the history of the game.

7. msn

msn Member

Just skimmed this thread. No love for the great Tony Scott???? :eek::eek:

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I suppose this is what a normal day in the GARM is like. Posting asinine threads and then attempting to personally attack anybody who finds fault or disagrees, in the process making the OP look like a whiny little b****.

I honestly think he's 15 years old. In fact, I hope that he is.... No grown man should be attempting to push some strange gimmick where the name of a city has been mispelled intentionally, in order to serve his handle.

9. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

What a terrible thread and opinion

10. msn

msn Member

gimmicky crap aside (and if this was mentioned earlier in the thread and I missed it whilst skimming over the dick-measuring contests, please forgive me)...

Where does Marisnick fit in as a defensive CF? I've always heard folks raving over him. But right now I get to listen much more than watch, so I don't get to see.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's where OP messed up. Marisnick can't hit a lick, so just saying better CF sounds stupid.

Defensively he is an absolute monster. A argument can be made that he is the best in all of baseball. He glides to the ball so effortlessly because he gets outstanding reads. Having said that, if you can hit enough to get your glove out there is doesn't matter.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sober now and won't talk as aggressively ;)

But, no, it's not a stupid question to ask. In fact, there was no question asked, nor did I say Jake was the best.

We know Marisnick is a beast defensively. I'm gathering info on guys who might be better.

Do you have a problem talking baseball history?

Post something stupid, again.

Haha, right.

Of course, one must consider those who just wanna be difficult.

Like I really meant Jake>Mays overall as baseballers... smh

#52 Houstunna, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  13. conquistador#11

right now he's batting less than manziel's breathalizer test. Coming in to the season, I thought he'd improve. he is still solid to have when the others need a rest.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Says the guy who's too small minded to admit NHL and/or NASCAR improves a city.

Not sure why a grown man would get off so much upon being difficult.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Marisnick's career DRS/year in CF = 21
    Everett's career DRS/year at SS = 21

Is Marisnick the best ever? Doubtful. Is he elite? Absolutely. And FWIW, Everett was actually a better hitter than Marisnick, albeit in a more offensive era.

I hate that the team puts him in LF so often. For all the stats-based things about this front office, the team has clearly given veteran treatment to Fowler and Gomez.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I still think Edmonds was highly overrated. To me, he was the Derek Jeter of CF'ers. Put himself if position to have to make the spectacular when it could've been just a simple catch. Either a bad route or read and then he's forced to dive. The exact reason why Adam Everett will never be appreciated outside of Houston for how great he truly was. He knew by the pitch where the ball would be going and would be there waiting for it instead of flinging his body all over the field. If only he could've been a moderately good offensive player...

17. thesimp

thesimp Member

Andruw Jones was a bad ass. Has anyone played centerfield as shallow as he did?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Everett did play more games there. And I consider it a harder position as it is (winning teams have gotten away with playing guys like Berkman and Biggio in CF... Not so much SS).

I agree that if he's going to be in the lineup, it needs to be in CF, otherwise you're not getting as much value for him. I still want to see what Springer would do for a full season in CF... His minor league reports were glowing, and he should be the defacto GG candidate at RF every year.

19. kaleidosky

Agree on those things, but I wonder if that was more Edmonds as he got older. When he was younger an in the AL (where I didn't watch as much back then), maybe he was even better?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was just about to post something similar. By the time Edmonds became a Cardinal, he was already 30... and was still playing at a GG level.

Yes, he often seemed to turn the routine to the spectacular... but he was still very very good closing in on the gaps and robbing HR's at the wall.

Its such a physically demanding position... and if you lose just a split-second on reaction time, its often the difference between making a routine catch or making a diving one.

Even Marisnick came in a tad heavier this season (whether it was trying to bulk-up like Singleton, or just needed to play his way into shape)... guys who start off elite defensively often have to make constant adjustments/compensation as they start to lose a step or start to slow with their reaction times.