1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name some CenterFielders in MLB history better than Marisnick...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, May 8, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's Hinch's (or whomever's) decision to play players where they play. So, "the powers that be" say, Springer RF.

You already lost the Everett agreement, so that's done.

Major's point is straight up, idiotic. No surprise you would hop that train.

If he (or anyone) couldn't see this convo was defense-based, they should be banned from CF forever.
    _____

Regardless of all that, Nick... Mr 99er...

What's with all the hostility? Seriously man.

I'm tryna compare an attribute of a Houstun player to all-time greats.

You (and others) act like it's some kinda contest to destroy what Houstunna said.

You've already shown me you're a fact-dodging, spineless, fraud.

Your best bet is to come real or I'll always destroy your weak ass attempts to knock my posts. Just like Samatha in the GARM.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

(players I've seen)
    Andrew Jones
    Jim Edmonds
    Mike Trout
    Otis Nixon
    Kenny Lofton
    Griffey jr
    Devon White
    Carlos Beltran

1 person likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Damn.. how could I forget Trout. Defensively (for the tricks who didn't already realize what I meant), he 's probably better than my 2nd favorite Astro All-time..
    [​IMG]

Good call with Wihte and Nixon too. Was Nixon's arm on-par with Jake? Regardless, Otis ran down some balls all-time'ly.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Marisnick is one of the best defensive centerfielders I have seen in over 30 years of watching baseball and playing baseball through college. He takes excellent routes to balls, seldom makes mistakes and positions himself exceptionally well.

I don't know that I have seen a bar none best centerfielder but he is in whatever exclusive class there is.... Along with 15-20 others over the last two dozen years.

If I had to list a best defensive centerfielder that I have seen it would be Andruw Jones.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... Except the question was defensive centerfielders... and if you think all it takes is the ability to "run like crazy" to play centerfield, you are mistaken.

Are there great defensive centerfielders people forget about? Absolutely.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

lol...Some of you guys can't be serious, especially the OP.

Take off the homer shades.

1 person likes this.
  7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Hello, chump.... I didn't respond to your last weak-ass response in the Twins thread.

But since you're back again, be more specific since your vibe is so dastard.

Similar to Nick, your best bet is coming real or I'll shove everything you say.

8. Major

Major Member

:confused: My point is that no one remembers great defensive centerfielders if they don't also hit. That's why the only people anyone has listed are the ones that were great offensively too.

20 years from now, no one will remember the name Adam Everett. Outside of Houston, no one will list him as all-time great defensive SS. It's no different for great defensive centerfielders. There are likely tons of guys like Marisnick throughout history - they just are irrelevant and forgettable as Everett.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I honestly think there are hundreds of MLB players that are better than Marisnick at CF. Not saying this to be obnoxious, but he's nowhere near the top 100.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Has nothing to do with "homer shades".... I have no real love for a 240 hitting centerfielder, part time player.... But his glove is exceptional. Does that mean he is an exceptional baseball player? No.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Buddy-o, you may want to calm down. I "came real" by saying you should take off your homer glasses. Simple really.

Try posting this in a real unbiased MLB forum with other team's fans, you'll get laughed off the board for even asking a question like this.

"one of the best defensive CFers I've seen in over 30 years". Yeah that just makes him sound like an all-time great even for fielding. He might be an exceptional glove but pump the brakes.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Thread goes sideways because OP didn't get "defensive" in title..whoops

13. Nook

Nook Member

I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't change the fact that Marisnick is a great defensive centerfielder.... Like Everett was a great defensive shortstop.

Mark Belanger is another example....

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You could very well be correct... there could very well be 100+ better CFs defensively.

But can you name (and justify), 15 better? Not, "as good"... "better"

Your argument is fragile..

Your response is, "no one will remember".. well, f*** everyone and let's talk YOU and what you remember...

Name 10 CFs better than Jake.

15. Major

Major Member

Sure - but the claim wasn't that he is simply a great one. It was that he was the single best one, at least in the last 24 years according to the OP. There may have been others that were better - people just can't name them because they weren't good hitters and no one remembers them.

16. Major

Major Member

Except, like just about everyone else on this message board, I'm not an expert on baseball history or even all the current teams. I don't know all the crappy offensive players throughout history that played amazing defense, so of course I can't name them. If I wasn't an Astros fan, I wouldn't know anything about Jake Marisnick, just like I know nothing about the 25th man on the Dodgers or the Red Sox or any other team out there.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

An interesting name for this thread is Omar Vizquel. He may have gone the way of Adam Everett and others we can't remember, as a defensive whiz who was a sub-par hitter. Then in his 7th ML season (age 29), he became a solid (though never great) hitter. With 8 of his next 11 seasons over .700 OPS (including the first 5 straight), including an OBP often over .350 in those 8 seasons, he became a HOFer.

The defensive wizardry and speed allowed him to stick in ML lineups for a while. His late blossoming as a hitter (while maintaining the defense--and speed--through his age 39 season) allowed him to have a 24 year, HOF career.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I enjoy laughing at ignorant, biased opinions.

Please link "other forums" so I can further be amused.

Exceptional GLOVE (defense) is the exact point.

Anyone who couldn't see that is trolling. . that's cool, just swallow too.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I think Jake's arm is a little better but Nixon's range was unreal

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Sir, I'm not asking anyone to sign a 30-year contract on their opinions. I'm simply asking opinions.

Post some great (defensive) CFs....