1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myth: Paul has no say in where he goes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jzmagic, Jul 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm still not understanding how a Franchise tag would work in the NBA. It's doable in the NFL because there's no maximum contract and it's a hard cap. A franchise tag along with a maximum contract doesn't make much sense and I don't see the playes agreeing to a hard cap.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

<object height="288" width="470"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=99056089" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=99056089" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="288" wmode="transparent" width="470"></embed></object>

He is now taking some heat in New Orleans.

DD

3. aelliott

The Jayson Blair story broke in May 2003 and Blair resigned from the times that same month. Once it was proven he lied, he was gone.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/05/10/ny.times.reporter/

#103 aelliott, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. ty185

ty185 Member

DD, can you explain the "Franchise tag" thing a bit for those who does not follow NFL? thanks :)

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

JZmagic, tell Lorenzen Wright we said wuz up. :)

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Blah blah blah blah blah....

7. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

Look maybe Paul had some really spicy gumbo and sent him to the hospital with swampass. He cant say that publicly,but its hard to play with swampass.

He maybe told NO execs that pizza in chicago or ny is good and wants to play with amare and 10 scrubs. Maybe Morey called up Paul and mentioned Yaos resturant and Paul maybe hates chinese food. To salty. That would rule out Houston.

Maybe he wants to invest in his own hurricane window company and play in Florida. These would all be reasonable explanations on where he wants to play. Afterall, he is staying there for a long time,and moving family,so food is very important.

After eating red beans and rice everyday I got an ulcer and need mylanta everyday. Maybe Paul has ulcers from spicy Emeril cooking in Orleans and told Reggie Bush he is tired of spending $1000 a month on toilet paper.

So when Morey mentions all the spicy Mexican resturants in Houston ,Paul says no.

So dont blame Yaos injury or Dwight Howard ,its probably all comes down to swampass.

8. dartherus

dartherus Member

Exactly, Rocket's FO should try to get CP3 at any cost first (They've clearly the best assest to offer to convice NO of the trade)....

.... then, no matter how pissed off is CP3 of not going to Orlando or NY..... they'd have 2 years to convince him that the roster is able to win rings, no matter there's only one known injury prone superstar (Yao), the supporting cast is terrific, and it will be shown in the next seasons....

Given the good chemistry of the current team, CP3 intial disappoinment could disappear easily when he sees Scola, Yao, Chuck,. shane (or whoever stays) giving it 100% every night....such kind of attitude is contagious....

BTW, with CP3 on the roster, next year it would be easier to add even 1 more superstar...if it's seen as needed....

So the first strategy for the Rockets should be...get the superstar first at any cost...work later on making the superstar feel happy in a winning team...don't you think?

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I used to post over there years ago, and I got along well with Bill. There was a moderator (a lawyer) that I couldn't stand, though, so I stopped.

I only go there now for Larry Coon, but if I use something here, I won't link back there, because the people that run this place don't seem to want it. Their board, their rules. Similarly, they don't want credit given to the Bleacher Report, so I don't copy from there.

A small enough price to pay.

10. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

You seem to be ignoring my point. The prosecutor that Blair interviewed about the DC sniper case came out publicly and attacked Blair's reporting. In addition the Times had to issue a number of corrections for stories that Blair had written.

"Blair wrote 52 stories during the sniper attacks. In one instance, Fairfax County, Va., prosecutor Bob Horan claimed that 60 percent of a story written by Blair, in which he was quoted, was inaccurate.

"Despite such accusations and a slew of corrections the paper was forced to make in the wake of his reporting, Blair continued to cover critical stories for the Times, moving from the sniper attacks to national coverage of the Iraq war."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/media/media_ethics/casestudy_blair.php

What's more, problems with Blair were apparent to the staff at the Times at least a year before they finally fired him. From the same article:

"Blair's editor Jonathan Landman told the Siegal committee -- a committee of 25 staffers and three outside journalists led by assistant managing editor Allan Siegal -- he felt the fact that Blair was African-American played a large part in his initial promotion to full-time staffer.

"I think race was the decisive factor in his promotion," he said. "I thought then and I think now that it was the wrong decision."

"After several more mistakes, poor evaluations and a period of leave during which Blair was said to be dealing with "personal problems," a memo sent by Landman, warned management "to stop Jayson from writing for The New York Times. Right now."

"The memo resulted in a short suspension from deadline writing but failed to get Blair fired. In 2002, Blair was promoted to the national desk to cover the Washington, D.C.-area sniper shootings, according to the report released by the Siegal committee."

11. aelliott

Yes there were allegations that much of his story was inaccurate. At that point it was an allegation only. Also, at that point, it was an inaccuracy, not a complete fabrication. There's a huge difference between sloppy reporting or bad sources and just making stuff up. They investigated and when it was proven that he was actually fabricating items then he was gone. That's not the case with Hoopsworld. The author admitted to fabricating inside information (not bad sources) and he remained in the same exact role still publishing inside info on the same exact team. If Blair were still reporting for the Times today, do you think that they'd have any credibility? BTW the Times also published a huge 7,500 word article explaining exactly what happened and correcting the facts in every lie in every story (52 total) that they had ever published.

#111 aelliott, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to brian_chapman again.

13. Danbury

Danbury Member

Paul has no say in where he's going. He can gripe and whine all he wants, it won't change the fact that NO won't take the best deal available (FOR THEM). Why would they do him a favor anyway when he is clamoring to get out? If he goes to Houston or somewhere like Minnesota and sits out the year or plays 50%, he will be forfeiting alot of future money. It is not in New Orleans best interest to limit their potential suitors, and it is not in Paul's interest to make a stink if he goes somewhere not on his "list".

Here are two scenarios far more likely to happen than Paul to the Knicks.

- He stays in New Orleans the next few years. I'm fairly sure this will happen. They='ll say something Monday to appease him and he'll stick for another 2 years, then go to New York or wherever Carmelo is.

- He gets traded to a team like Houston, plays well and says he'll stay. Then he bolts in two years to wherever Carmelo is.

LeBarnacle likely started a trend that isn't likely to stop anytime soon and Houston will be on the outside looking in.

14. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Blair's "inaccuracy" with the DC sniper story was that the teenage member of the duo (whose name I forget) was the guy that was doing all of the shooting, which turned out to be completely false. The prosecutor for the case called a public press conference to denounce the article, stating that 60% of it was "dead wrong". Even after that the NY Times kept Blair around, assigning him to write stories on the Iraq war.

And don't forget this was at least a year after one of Blair's editors wrote that the Times needed to stop him writing for the paper. The Times only sacked Blair after another paper (the Washington Post?) started writing articles about Blair.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What was Blair's free throw percentage?

16. aelliott

badgerfan,

The Times claimes that that while they knew there were inaccuracies they didn't know that the story was an outright fabrication. It's obviously your choice to believe what you like. If you do believe that they knew that the stories were fabricated and continued to publish Blair's stories then I wouldn't ever trust anything from the Times again...simple as that. If a media source ignores honesty and integrity then how can you ever believe anything they say again?. With HW there is no question, the author admitted to making up the insider information.

17. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Looks like our chances of aquiring CP3 have gotten higher it seems.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/25/okafors-contract-makes-chris-paul-to-orlando-unlikely/

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/1280040009168510.xml&coll=1

18. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

You trust the NY Times? I don't, because the Blair case clearly shows a pattern of neglect and incompetence on their part that stretches out over a period of years before Blair was finally sacked.

HW is more comparable to my earlier example of the National Enquirer anyway. That paper is not a paragon of journalistic excellence but there was talk of them receiving a Pulitzer for their work in uncovering the story of John Edwards and his mistress. In the end I don't trust any single source and I don't automatically discount a story simply because it appears in a tabloid. What matters with the CP story is that what HW's reporting is being widely reported elsewhere--CBS News, etc.

19. worzel gummidge

booyah, mademoiselle

20. worzel gummidge

Is it playing out like the Gasol trade?

Heisley claimed home crowds were booing Gasol after his trade demand that they had to move him.