1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myth: Lin is chinese.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peter2012, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

A racist is someone who believes that people should be treated differently based on the color of their skin.

And that applies regardless of the skin color of the person who believes that.

In fact, those people who are most distinctly racist are usually pretty easy to spot, as they tend to see the world through this racial lense, and as a result, they talk about race all the time. And of course that generally includes a steady supply of the race card and a lot of name calling based on their racial assertions.

Do you know anyone like that? If you do, then that person is very probably a racist.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

3. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7daS-VU2c1Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7daS-VU2c1Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

5. peter2012

peter2012 Member

I do feel bad now, shouldnt start this thread, but I am not a racist, I dont judge people by color at all. I just think he is an American-born Chinese, he is an American, but you can not say he is not Chinese.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I thought he was a Formosican-American.

7. amaru

amaru Member

"Afro-American" and "black" are social constructs. LeBron....like every other person of primarily African descent is an African even if society does not refer to us in that sense.

8. amaru

amaru Member

If that were true.....then my family would not have to deal with the residual effects of enslavement. That statement sounds good in theory but we both know it is far from true. While race has little to no biological basis...it is without a doubt a social reality.

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

You're probably, scratch that -- LeBron is as African as I am European, i.e. not at all.

10. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

LOL Oriental is not a race.

As far as I'm concern Lin is American of Asian descent. I think the issue is that China and Taiwan want to claim him, so there is this dispute of whether he's American of Chinese or Taiwanese decent.

11. jocar

jocar Member

"China" and "Taiwan" are two companies who make small white stickers

1 person likes this.
  12. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

I wished people would stop use the term "oriental." It is a term created to describe Asians as second-class citizens during a time of heavy anti-Asian sentiment. It's not used very often anymore and to be honest most of the time it's foreign-born Asians using it (i.e. why does every city have an "Oriental Express"), but there are better words out there to use.

13. Arthurprescott2

Just gotta start referring to those from the Western hemisphere as Occidentals. :p Sounds so ridiculous - just about as ridiculous as Oriental.

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

15. amaru

amaru Member

Why do you think LBJ isn't African? He is the descendant of West and Central Africans brought to the Americas.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Someone forgot to tell the whip.

17. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

who cares. what babies.

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

the language is Mandarin

19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

American born Chinese are those that doesn't speak fluent Mandarin

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

MYTH: You cannot say Jeremy Lin is not Chinese.

"Jeremy Lin is not Chinese," said StupidMoniker.

MYTH BUSTED