1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mystery Priest performs miracle in Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScolaIsBallin, Aug 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Don't even know what you're talking about dude.

2. what

what Member

you have faith in science, right?

and the big bang theory is a tenet of science.

pretty simple.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I won't preach to you if you don't try to educate me. It's a slippery slope when we view each other as the godless heathen vs. uneducated inbred so please refrain from speaking in a condescending tone.

I didn't say one word pertaining to God. I just think that it's best not to talk in absolutes in either direction. I won't think any less of you if your opinion differs from mine but I can't say the same if you try to ridicule me for having an opinion that differs from yours.

4. CometsWin

Eh, don't think that fits the definition for tenet of science the way you're trying to use it. Science doesn't require faith in any particular theory.

Scientific law doesn't require your faith.

I really object to the nature in which, as if an 8th grade exercise on word play, you're kind of whoring out the word faith. There is science based faith that my heart will beat after this next beat and that the Sun will rise in the morning and then there's faith that the universe was created by some god and you were created in his image. The first two require little faith whatsoever because the evidence says they're highly probable while the latter requires an incredible imagination filled faith with no evidence. They're not really much the same at all so why on earth would you even bother comparing them?

5. CometsWin

Most religions are condescending to each other and to me personally so I'm not terribly concerned about how you view me.

In fact I don't care for your tactic even a little bit. You seem to have jumped in here trying to force pouhe to disprove the existence of angels and now you're trying to dazzle me with the topic of absolutes. Hey guy, I want you to disprove the existence of a cotton candy planet with rivers of Dr. Pepper and mountains of skittles because I hate using an absolute and eliminating that possibility and by the way don't ridicule my question. I'll wait.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Whole lot of condescending in here though, isn't there?

Someone gets in a jam and something good happens. Who cares why? Those of religious faith can put stock in the story of the priest and believe he helped, those without said faith can be glad something worked out for the better. It's not like the priest is asking for money or taking credit from non-believers... and it's not like those who believe are angry at those who don't.

Let it be, folks.

2 people like this.
  7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

:rolleyes: how insecure are people in their disbelief of anything close to a miracle that they feel the need to lambast 1) the opinions of the folks involved with the accident, 2) Yahoo for reporting on the same incident that bunch of other news sources carried, and 3) other folks here for daring to say something contrary to their disbelief.

Time and time again, I question whether any of our resident internet toughies act like this in real life. I guess it's just easier to be as douchey as you can when you don't have to look at or listen to the person you are being condescending to.

Congratulations, you have proven that you are very talented in your lack of empathy. I look forward to your complaints about bullying in future articles once this thread has faded to the 3rd page.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

that condescending douchey attitude is a reason that /r/atheism got booted as a default sub IMO

10. jocar

jocar Member

Cometswin is still bitter at God for the disbanding his beloved team in 2008. Forgive him, he knows not what he does

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yet, you probably believe you're entitled to your own douchey and condescending response, huh?

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

The priest said there really wasn't any mystery to it, and he told a deputy before he left who he was. He took no credit for saving Lentz's life. He credited that to the calm of two highway patrol officers and a rescue team that worked "harmoniously."

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Thank you.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not going to read the first 4 pages as they are likely full of stupid, but glad they got the girl out and to the hospital.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That is awesome... good thing it wasn't a lot worse. It was an act of God, indeed. :eek:

KUDOS to the personnel who acted quickly.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What was the wreck itself then? Why is one an act of God and one isn't?

1 person likes this.
  17. MadMax

I know you're not asking me, but this question is above my pay grade. I can't explain why the wreck or the outcome happened.

You know my story of being at death's door as a kid and there not being a rational explanation for me making it out of that...so much so that the doctors said that very thing to my parents. The question that can be asked is, "where was God in you getting that sick in the first place?"

The truth is I don't have an answer for that...I hate canned answers from the Church on topics this weighty. And the bigger question I have is why me? Why do I get an extra shot at life that others don't? That's bothered me since I was a little kid.

But I'm grateful not only for the way the story ended...I'm grateful for the story, itself, because it shaped a lot of who I am today...and ultimately now who my kids are becoming. I believe in God..and I believe he's bigger than the canned answers to questions like this. I think it's ok that there's mystery in the mysterious.

I just hate to see the condescension in either direction, frankly. I left this message board for a period of time because of it. Because I got tired of being called stupid for my faith. Something I'm reasonably certain no one would say to my face over a beer.

And by the way...I freaking love that this priest gave the answer exactly the way he did. To me, that those doctors were there to help doesn't make it any less miraculous. There's miracles all around from my perspective...just because I can explain them doesn't make them any less miraculous to me. If someone else doesn't see that...that's fine.

2 people like this.
  18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

So how many more miracles does this priest need to become a saint?

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Whoa, there. Easy, mister philosopher. How do you know which "one" I'm talking about? ;)

How do you know I didn't mean "THE ENTIRE ISSUE" or "ALL ACTIONS COMBINED"? :eek:

My "indeed" is reiterating that EVERYTHING is.

20. MadMax

"I know guys in Italy..they got 40, 50 miracles to their name. They can't get in because there's already too many Italian saints" :grin: