1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MyFoxHouston] Rockets to sign Garrett Temple

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Feb 7, 2010.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No Von Wafer? :(
    How many times does he have to fail his physical to understand that he needs to change whatever habits he is partaking. :grin:

As for Garrett Temple, I think he's solid, but I don't think defense in the 2 or 3 spots is an issue as of right now...

2. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Cool! I thought we should've given him a chance. I hope he makes the most of it.

3. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

So the Rockets signed Mike Harris first which is the 09-10 efficiency leader in the D-League at 28.4 with 12 double-doubles

After sending him to the league Joey Dorsey was 11th in the efficiency department at 22.5 with 9 double-doubles

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statisti...AME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All Teams

Im guessing the rockets are doing the same with Conroy and Temple.

If the first guy didnt show up, maybe the second guy will.
    :grin:

4. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

my thoughts exactly

5. Knight

Knight Member

My guess is this is the deal the Rockets had with the players. Its pretty hard to justify playing in the NBDL and the low salary it brings when these guys could be earning a lot more overseas.
    However, it benefits the Rockets as it gets them familiar with the system, etc in case injury hits.

So I guess the Rockets would have promised at least a 10 day contract sometime during the season to financially compensate the players for playing with the Vipers instead of overseas.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Don't the Rockets have just one game before the All-Star break? They only have 3 games during that 10-day stretch. I guess they want to see him in practice with the big boys...

1 person likes this.
  7. tomato

tomato Member

Go Saints!

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

They probably don't have enough bodies to even practice right now, assuming they hold KLow7 off the court to recover from the ankle sprain.

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't get it. Lowry is out, and we sign a guy that is more of a two then a one and we send down the guy that plays the one. I know Conroy sucked when he played, but I think it was just nerves. They should of gave him a little more time to prove himself. Now we don't have a true point guard to back up Aaron.

10. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Who the hell is this Temple guy? Haven't watched him play ever, is he capable of running a team rather than doing little things on the court and committing turnovers?

Hopefully Lowry will be back after All-Star break, just take some days off and enjoy the off days and get back as soon as possible.;)

11. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hmm..maybe a combo PG/SG is on the way...Tony Douglas? :p we'll lose anyway to the Heat..

12. tmacROX1

tmacROX1 Member

took the words right outta my mouth. "imma puch u in the face" just kidding

13. woket

woket Member

This explains it a bit more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6856320.html

14. liunatic

liunatic Member

Whaaaaaat? Temple is going to replace Ariza and BUDINGER is going to play backup point?!?!?

This is according to the above article...

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

My stream kept disconnecting, so I just called it a night.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

All these guys should just go to the euroleague. They are too good for the D-League, but not good enough for the NBA.

If Josh Childress can be the Greek Jordan, then Temple, Conroy and Harris can be rotation players in Europe.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Harris had a stint dominating in China, but purposely took the pay cut coming back to the D-league in order to try once again to land on a NBA team by being closer to the action.

Temple, is probably getting the shot, because they need wing players and right now, only Taylor or Battier are available for practice, as well as not using Conroy's last 10 day option when most of it will be during the All Star break.

18. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Temple can play either point or shooting guard. We're really hurting right now depth-wise. He still probably won't get that much playing time if any at all. Conroy and JT are both ahead of him, unless he can play small forward (which I doubt against most nba teams.)

19. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/2/7/1300061/houston-rockets-to-add-rio-grande
    Houston Rockets to add Rio Grande Valley's Garrett Temple
    [​IMG]
    Garrett Temple will be called-up to the Houston Rockets Monday. This doesn't surprise me one iota.

While Temple is averaging a rather pedestrian 14.9 points, 3.7 boards and 3.4 assists while shooting 43% from the field and 37% from beyond the arc, he knows the system and fills a void with both Trevor Ariza and Kyle Lowry expected to not be available until after the all-star break.

Temple started his career with the Rockets as a Vegas Summer League invite, where he averaged 4.6 points per game over the course of five games. He apparently impressed Rockets GM Daryl Morey enough to get an invite to play for the Rockets this Fall, however. In the preseason, Temple appeared in four games with the Rockets, though didn't make much of an impact averaging 2.5 points over four appearances, though he was released in the first round of cuts.

Temple was described as a do-it-all, defensive stopper during his four seasons as an LSU Tiger, never scoring very well, but he finished his college career as the only player in school history in the top 10 in career assists, steals and blocked shots.

For the Vipers, he's taken more of a scoring role, potentially being one of the better isolation players in the D-League - his typical gameplan seems to be get the ball, use his first step to get the defender off balance, pretend like he's going to drive the lane and drop a 17-foot jumper. In last night's nationally televised VERSUS game, Temple hit 6-of-11 from the field, including 3-of-5 from 3-point land, to finish 16 points, six boards and five assists in 36 minutes of action.

In the NBA I have no idea what he'll be asked to do, aside from be a practice body, because I'd assume Jermaine Taylor will play ahead of him, and Taylor doesn't get many minutes the way it is.

Star-divide

If I was a D-League player right now, I'd demand a trade to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. Specifically if my name was Romel Beck, because if he was a Viper, I can almost guarantee that he would be a Rocket tomorrow. They've been using the D-League so well, it'd be crazy if another NBA team doesn't try doing the same thing next season (buying the basketball operations of an NBA D-League team, if you weren't familiar).

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Did someone mention that it was Temple's smiling profile in the photo, the guy shaking David Anderson's hand, and we all thought it was Ramon Sessions?

Wasn't that Temple?