1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myck Kabongo

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jimbo0488, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

Right now ESPN has him rated as the 6th best point guard and #35 overall. With the pick we got for Marcus Morris do yall think it is possible we could get this guy?

He kinda reminds me of Kemba Walker. Seems like he would be a good backup PG/SG.

What do yall think about him?

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

As an unapologetic longhorn, guy has underperformed. He might work on a team where he isnt expexted to shoot outside of 5 feet a la rondo, but his bricklaying will certainly hurt his stock quite a bit. Like rondo he is fast and a pure point, but he is also very frail and will be posted quite a bit by most pgs. My .02.

3. cdain3

cdain3 Member

18 pts 4 ast and 4 rebs pregame while shooting 52% is underperforming?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would like him as a second rounder. He's been playing well since he came back. Beverly has been solid of late, but Kabongo could be a great Bledsoe-like 6th man.

5. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Imagine when he lives up to expectations :eek:

:grin::p:grin:

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

Well, perhaps i am wrong. Stopped watching the horns after the chaminade debacle and purchasing league pass.... sounds like kabongo has played better this year than when i saw him last...

7. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

Kabongo in the win over Baylor:

19 pts, 8 ast, 6 reb, 3 stl, 6-10 FG

8. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

Last 4 games:

20.3 ppg, 6 apg, 6.3 rpg, 2.8 spg, 59% FG

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Myck seems to be making the most of his time left in college/pre-NBA draft, after the NCAA suspension. It's like a light switch went on and he is showing why he was rated highly after HS.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

0-12 from the field on Sat.

11. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I'd love for the Rockets to get him.

Remember who his coach is -- the talent wasting, psyche destroying Rick Barnes. Barnes has deflated the draft stock of many a talented formerly high rated prospect. Look at Avery Bradley. If he could have come out of high school he would have been a lotto pick. As it was he went in the mid to late 1st round -- but now he is starting and is an elite defender.

Corey Joseph is another one. After Barnes mangled his freshman season the Spurs scraped him off the junk heap, and now he is starting for them in the absence of Parker, and showing what kind of potential he has.

So if Kabongo can play half way decent as a freshman under Rick "My idol is Bobby Knight" Barnes, then he is probably an all world talent that the Rockets should add to their team if at all possible.

Also, f**k Rick Barnes, go Longhorns.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm a Barnes hater as well, but Bradley was pretty bad his freshman year. He shot like 50% from the FT line. Corey Joseph was the bonehead who couldn't inbound the ball against Arizona. And J'Covan Brown foolishly left early.

13. smr6

smr6 Member

When we got that Phoenix pick this is who I was hoping for right away. However, he seems to be playing himself into the first round at this rate.

14. Major

Major Member

Avery Bradley was a bit of a mess at Texas, and it wasn't on Rick Barnes. He went where he should in the draft. He's now in his 3rd year, shooting under 40% and averaging 8 points and 1 assist. To his credit, he's learned to shoot free throws.

Barnes has plenty of success getting people to the NBA, and often higher than expected (see Tristan Thompson and Lamarcus Aldridge). The criticism generally goes the other way - that his guys get to the NBA but don't perform in the NCAA Tourney.

Corey Joseph was not even considered a one-and-done guy when he got to Texas. He left earlier than expected, and was drafted exactly where you'd expect a guy who needs a year in the NBDL would go: to a great team at the bottom of the draft who can afford to stash him and see what happens.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I was about to write the same thing. I have no criticism for Barnes in terms of how he develops his players. The problem is his inability to get the best out of them in tourney(and in his inability to also get the best out of his coaching ability in the tourney although perhaps his coaching ability is as high as it can ever reach)