1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Visit to Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by alphadog, Jul 11, 2016.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Check out the Menil Collection (it's free and cool)

If you're spiritual, check out Rothko Chapel

Should do NASA for sure. It's the only real touristy thing here.

Lots of amazing restaurants at all price ranges and a wide range of cuisines. Honestly if you like deep fried stuff, try to come during the Rodeo next year. Heart attack fo sho.

Lots of strip clubs if you're into that.

It's a cool city where there is something for everyone imo. Just gotta do some research ahead of time to fit in things that you are into.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Bourbon St is overrated as heck. Dirty (bathrooms make me wanna yack), fugly people. Food is good though. Warehouse District is better than bourbon. Believe it or not, Houston blows out New Orleans for nightlife.

People have suggested most things. Hermann Park has a lot of things to do.. park, museums, zoo, etc. Nice looking area with trees and such.

Eat Tex mex at El Tiempo (get beef fajitas, margaritas). Eat at Uchi if you like Japanese food. You'll thank us later.

Someone said to avoid midtown. I disagree. Many different places you can go to in midtown. Cle on Sundays has been having day parties. It's been pretty crazy and you can buy tickets online to not worry about getting in. Thursday and Saturday nights are fun too at Cle. Tip $20 to get in. There are a lot of specialty cocktail places in Midtown and DT.. Wooster's Garden comes to mind. You can also go to breweries like St Arnold's.

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Agree about Warehouse district in NOLA. My Wife use to live there while she attended college.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't like bourbon street either but new Orleans still has jazz music, different style restaurants and drinks, the WWii museum, lots of art, etc.

Just saying I'd rather go there than San Antonio

5. sammy

Ahh that makes sense. You're right about NO and what it has to offer. I took a tour of the Garden district. Really nice area

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What a waste of a vacation. I would drive to San Antonio, new braunfels, and Austin.

7. sammy

Lake Travis for the day is a good idea. Food is aight but Oasis is amazing. Great views

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

Skip NewOrleans ..just go to public bathroom that has jazz music

9. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I like what this guy is thinking.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Nasa/kemah
    Museum district/Herman park/zoo/Japanese garden

Taste of Texas
    Rudy's BBQ
    Torchys tacos or pappasitos
    Oishii
    Kimson they also have dimsum
    Vietnamese pho or bun Bo hue
    Twin peaks or hooters

Ah yeah and treasures/tmc/colorado

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't get a hotel in Downtown even though that's where the Toyota Center is, Galleria or something on Westheimer might be a better home base.

That having been said, all the largest colleges are in close range of Downtown. Rice University is a global university and worth the visit, University of Houston and Texas Southern (during the day) might be interesting for very specific cultural perspectives of Houston in particular.

I would love to advocate taking some kind of tour of the Ship Channel and refineries, just to understand a big part of Houston's economy and the American energy industry as a whole, but that's east of I-45 and somewhat isolated from the rest of Houston, both culturally and logistically.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

UH, TSU and chemical plants? Super lulz.