1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My view of Rockets vs. Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston-in-LA, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

I believe the best part of this game today was Eddie (when he was in the game and not in foul trouble with some horrible, horrible referees) and the uniforms we had...I nice silver, black, and red collection. They were actually pretty sweet!

On the other hand, the Rockets lost and were taken out of the game by bad call after bad call and sending EG to the bench often. It was fairly ridiculous. And there were equally as many bad calls against the Lakers as well.

Eddie has beefed up quite a bit and is looking very solid...he shot was falling and his defense was superb, T Mo is slowly developing into a great role player for us, Jason Collier looked horrible (sorry to say) he was fumbling the ball and missing layups and letting good ol Mark Madsen drive all over the lane and making us look bad. I did enjoy watching Tito Maddux drive the lane (which he does constantly) and handle the ball, but he definitely needs to develop his shot which was very inconsistant.

Overall I feel this game was just "one of those games" where nothing was really clicking and they were just going through the motions. Don't put too much weight into this one.

Third best part of the day...watching Jason Richardson in the next game against the Mavs throwing down some electrifying dunks.
    :eek: :eek:

2. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Thanks for the recap, I couldn't make the game. I know how you feel, you as so right the refs are horrible, in the last games they called very ticky tacky touches fouls, even some of the crowd said things like you guys are worst than the refs in the NBA, and other mean things. But anyways yep I love those uniforms too, even more than the real ones esp those silver/grey ones with the red lining and the shorts with the red numbers on them too, they have got to be the best ones there and I'm definitely not being Bias. Definitely agree on Maddox too, it seem his only offense is to drive to the basket, he really doesn't have much if any outside shot but he is exciting to watch.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Visions of Rhodrick Rhodes are dancing through my head.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Rushing to judgement, are we? Tito comes well recommended and he is probably so grateful that he has not yet have a chance to relax.

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Man, I cannot wait for the season to start.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If we had gotten Rhodrick Rhodes where we got Maddox he wouldn't have been a bad pick.

7. actorjkb

actorjkb New Member

I attended the games yesterday and came away with the following.

1. Eddie Griffen is a good looking player. I agree that he got some bad calls, but sometimes he relies too much on his shot blocking ability. I was surprised with the way he shot the ball. He looked very comfortable on the offensive side of the ball.

2. Tito Maddox will not make the team. He cannot shoot, play defense, and turns the ball over way too much.

3. The Lakers trotted scrubs out and kicked our butt.

4. The Warriors will be the worst team in the NBA.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

"our"?....btw, the Rockets didn't send their A+ team out , so I really can't fathom the significance.

9. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

not to mention it was a back to back game - the game the previous night most likely didnt end till midnight and this game started at 5.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

To play devil's advocate :

Many of the players on our SPL roster have legitimate NBA experience : TMo, Tierre, Eddie, etc.

Outside of Madsen, the Lakers were a bunch of scrubs. They didn't even play Rush.

Also, the rest theory doesn't really hold water. The Lakers had played the night before, too. They played against the Clippers in the game right before the Rockets. About 2 hours difference in rest time.

All that being said, it doesn't matter... these games really mean nothing more than a chance for coaches to check out potential roster players.

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Nuggets?

Who is going to score on that team?

12. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

He just may not make the team, but if I were to chose one player to not make the team off the SPL roster, I'd choice Collier. My "Laker fan" friend with me couldn't even remember the one game he had where he actually played good......... against the Lakers....anyone remember any others??

13. actorjkb

actorjkb New Member

Collier not making the team is a no brainer. He is an absolute bust. Regarding a previous post in this thread. I am a huge Rocket fan and agree totally with the Dr. We have more players that we are counting on at the Summer Pro league than the Lakers. After the draft and doing some research I was ecstatic about Tito coming in and contributing to the Rockets in a reserve role. After seeing him play I don't think that is possible. Brown is a better player. Period.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Who are we counting on? Outside of Griffin to play some backup minutes at the 4 & 5 (which he proved he should be able to do adequately) and TMO to play some D and give us some garbage minutes at the 3 (which he proved he may be able to do) who else are we counting on?

Doc Rocket said himself that it doesn't look like Maddox , Torres or tierre brown will make the team and even if brown makes the team he will still be third string. Collier is third string fodder, really fourth string if you consider the fact that Eddie will probably get more minutes at the 5 than him. So explain to me who else are we counting on.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's be tough...waiving a guaranteed contract, even a small one (Collier's). It's that old fear: let a player go, watch him blossom on another team.

But Collier served his purpose. We got Eddie.