1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My thoughts on trading up to near the top of the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 4, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

With all the talk of Morey wanting to move up in the draft, there seems to be a wide range of opinions with regards to how much we should give up for these high picks. So here's a look at draft picks in the past.

First of all, let me state something before we look at top draft picks in history. This is mainly for people who are deathly afraid of any risk, and believes you can only make a move if the player coming back is "proven".

Proven stars are never available via trades.
    Unless they're malcontents and drives their coach/GM/owner/fans crazy by doing a lot of crazy things ala T-Mac, Rasheed, Webber, etc.

So you can say all you want about Cousins being nowhere near a star center or Turner not holding a candle to Brandon Roy. But why does that matter? Is Milwaukee trading Bogut? Is Orlando trading Howard? Is Portland trading Roy? I mean, look how much Morey's desperately trying to land Chris Bosh. And how he was willing to risk the horrible defense and nagging injuries to pick up Martin(who is actually all-star caliber if he can stay healthy). Proven stars are simply almost never available.

So what's the next best thing? Players who could become stars, aka top 5 picks. So what's the risk involved? Well, here's some stuff from 82games that at least gives you a general idea.

Top 5 picks over the last twenty years: 100 players.

Superstars: 19 (11 excluding top pick)
    Busts: 33 (30 excluding top pick)
    Solid players: 48 (39 excluding top pick)
    Subjective list of average players at each pick: Webber/Dougherty(#1), Tisdale/Gilliam(#2), SAR/Chris Jackson aka the guy whose later name I can't spell(#3), Rifleman/X-Man(#4), Juwan Howard who was at one point before coming to Houston was really good/Kendall Gill(#5)

Two things come to mind here. One, the bust rate is 33% or 38%, depending on whether you include the top pick. Two, the average players taken in the top 5? Pretty damn good.

But keep in mind one thing if you take a closer look at the list. How many of these picks are done by actual good GMs? Think of it this way, if you're a good GM and you actually know how to draft talent, what are the chances that you make a return trip to top 5 lottery status? The fact that there are so many top 5 busts are partially due to the fact that you keep getting your Elgin Baylors making those damn picks in the first place! Otherwise, these picks are "proven", just not proven on a superstar level. They do generally guarantee very good players.

So is there a risk involved with trading up? Yes, of course there is. But if you don't want that risk, try to find a way to get Lebron drunk enough to force a S&T to Houston. Until then, the question with such a trade comes down to: Do you trust our front office to make the correct decision? And there's no reason to think our people will draft like Micheal Jordan and pick up the next Kwame Brown or Adam Morrison.

As a Rockets fan hoping this team make a huge splash in the offseason, the draft IMO is the only alternative to getting Bosh. There are actually top picks available, as teams are trying to perhaps move salary and us having young talent and expirings to match. So this year could be our best opportunity to get a top pick while not really working for it, as in not sucking hard enough to get one legitimately.

So here's hoping we really do make a move. :) :)

9 people like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Very interesting post.

I wonder Meh, if it would be worth the time to gather up a list of all star players and see where they were drafted.

My point with the first round, or top, is that I prefer to keep guys that are already talented NBA players, and are getting better.

To me we have 4 players that have not peaked.

1. Aaron Brooks
    2. Chase Budinger
    3. Jordan Hill
    4. Jermaine Taylor

Do we have a superstar or star player amongst them? I think there are 3 chances....in AB, chase and Jordan....

If we add another one with a high pick, great, but if we give up one of these 4, then we are just treading water, IMO.

Good thread though....5 stars.

DD

1 person likes this.
  3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Im expecting a move up during this draft more than ever, Morey finally has the assets at his disposal to do it.

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I've said it before and i'll say it again, superstars are found through the draft, no way else. Unless they have some luggage.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

DD, neither Brooks, Budinger, Hill and Taylor are even close to being top 5 talents. If anyone of them could help land a Cousins or a Turner then I have no problem pulling the trigger with some of them included in the trade.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Brooks is the most talented, but he'll never be a superstar. As far as the OP, I'm completely on board. We need to start thinking about the future -- trading up for a shot at one of these young studs could go a long way in case we have to rebuild without Yao. We need to make our move this off-season -- our Knicks draft picks may be at their highest value on draft night.

7. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Imagine if we gave up our assets that were definitely not going to be stars, and got DM 3 mid-to-late 1st-round picks a year for three years. Maybe he could come up with, say, 3 hot-shots...

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

None of these guys will be superstars ROFL.

9. DaDakota

The point is that some of the guys drafted in the top 5 aren't top 5 talents either.

AGreed, but I was saying star player, there are very very few superstars, and drafting at the top of the draft doesn't guarantee that either.

Oden, Kwame, Olawakandi, Beasley...man the list just goes on and on.....

DD

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

DD, I'm sure you've had your heart broken before your wife. We can't stand pat because of our fears of them not being a superstar. You can't win if you don't gamble, amigo.

I never liked it when people put up the stats of how many superstars went #6 vs. #8 -- it's just irrelevant to me. A lot of teams pass on guys that eventually end up being superstars -- the trick is having a good scouting department and discovering these guys. I won't ever dread having the 6th pick instead of the 9th when the percentages show more superstars were drafted 9th -- instead, I have confidence Morey will draft that guy at #6.

11. DaDakota

You know LTF, I am going to have to agree with you here about gambling and taking a risk.

I guess my issue is I don't see anyone attainable in this draft worth taking that risk.

If we could get Wall or Turner, then yeah, but anyone else to me is just as risky or more risky than the guys we already have.

Now if we can get them without giving anything substantial up...then heck yeah !

DD

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Do you see every young, productive player with those rose colored glasses or just the ones in rocket red? You're very narrowly focused, but surely you must have some kind of feel for the talent level around the league. If Darren Collison, Danilo Gallinari, or Dejuan Blair were traded for a top 5 pick I highly doubt you'd think their teams were just treading water.

#12 MrButtocks, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  13. DaDakota

I guess that would depend upon how those picks turned out. As for the Rockets players, yeah, I like em, I just put more value on players that have done it at the NBA level than those coming into the league.

To me AB has All star potential....20ppg and 5+ apg as a first year starter are really really good....

Budinger has all the tools but does he have the work ethic and mentality to be more than just a spot role player, can he be Ray Allen lite?

Hill has the most potential out of all 4 I like, he has quickness, and length and seems to move well without the ball, his upside is All star level, but that will depend upon how hard he works.

Taylor has athleticsm out the wazoo and made enormous strides, if he can get the mental portion of the game down, who knows where he could get to.

Now, am I saying any of them will become all stars, no...but I am saying they might....and they will reach their peak more quickly than anyone outside of Wall and Turner, IMO.

DD

14. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Just looking at who's playing in the finals right now....

Kobe - draft (essentially)
    Gasol - trade
    Odom - trade
    Artest - FA
    Bynum - draft

Pierce - draft (I think)
    Allen - trade
    Garnett - trade
    Wallace - FA
    Perkins - draft
    Rondo - draft

Given that, it seems like you can't just say that you have to get top talen through the draft. Probably pretty safe to say that you need to look to get your best player, your number one option through the draft, but get the rest where ever you can.

In fact, wouldn't it be safe to say that SA is the only team to win a championship in the past 10 years or so who didn't make a significant trade that pushed them to the top

LA (Shaq, then Gasol)
    Boston (Allen, Garnett)
    Miami (Shaq)
    Detroit (Wallace, Hamilton, Billups...my memory is a little shakey here)

I don't know whether moving up is the right thing to do or not, but I don't think it's accurate to say you either draft high or bust either.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The thing about "might" is that it can apply to anyone. Beaubois from the mavs "might" be the next Tony Parker. To me, Cousins' "might" is just as good as Jordan Hill's. Somehow, you think Hill is proven.

And didn't you recently say that Turner was a gamble you wouldn't take? You wouldn't even trade Bud for him. Why are you suddenly high on him?

16. NBA Law

NBA Law Member

Interesting... but over the last 20 years the draft has changed so much that I don't think you can take these percentages at face value.

First, since 1990, three major changes have affected the draft: (1) The proliferation of the high school draftees; (2) the one and done group after the age requirement rule and (3) the proliferation of international prospects. Each of these changes changed the risk involved in selecting draft picks. For example, a statistical evaluation of a high school player, european player or college freshman is much trickier simply because there is less data. Also, younger players are inherently riskier because they are so young and have yet to mature - a sort of increase in the character evaluation of the players. Basically, I think the the percentages are an oversimplification of the risk.

Though, the increased risks probably do favor organizations that are better equipped to deal with the risks like advanced statistical analysis of the college freshmen and european players. So, I think you're onto something with your hypothesis that an organization that is better equipped to evaluate talent may be best served to acquire a superstar through the draft.

Though, with all that, one of the best organizations at evaluating talent, the Portland Trailblazers, blew the #1 pick of 2007 with Greg Oden. So, you never know.

4 people like this.
  17. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I wouldn't put money on any of them being all-stars, personally.Solid rotation players on a championship team, yes. Brooks will likely fall off a bit in scoring since we are going to add additional scoring threats in Yao and who knows who else. Bud isn't going to get much more oppurtunity to play unless his defense gets on par with Battier and Ariza. Martin and Brooks will ensure that a defensive stopper is required in the starting lineup. Taylor is in the same boat, but behind Bud. I see Hill as a utility big, his job will be to make the defense cover him, play defense, and make hustle plays.

These guys could end up exceling more on another team where there's more of a need, a void for them to fill, but I just don't see it here.

If mgmt really wants to give these guys the chance to be all-stars, then Morey needs to trade guys like Scola and Martin.

18. DaDakota

So basically you just said that all of those players have peaked.

To me, they are just getting their feet wet and will peak in years 3 and 4.

DD

19. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

one thing to consider though . . .

with the upcoming fear of major CBA changes, the talent pool in this draft is deeper than usual. if we look at this draft from the traditional Morey-istic "capitalize on potentially undervalued assets" perspective, we should be trading down in the draft, not up.

this being a deep draft means that lower picks in this draft would be equivalent to higher picks in a worse draft, so assuming the cost of obtaining picks remains constant between drafts, ideally the rockets should pick up as many picks as possible to maximize the potential to hit overall. similar to the strategy that yielded a lottery-like rookie season from CBud last year.

I understand that the current roster is devoid of top-tier talent. however, you can't assume that morey's methods translate to the acquisition of top talent. so far he hasn't had much to lose in the draft. acquiring a top-5 pick and surrendering the assets to do so means that you are putting a lot of eggs in one basket. if that player pans out, then you're golden, but obviously many of the teams with top 5 picks are continually terrible, so clearly simply having top 5 talent on your roster does not constitute success.

anyway, i guess my point is that even though i recognize the roster needs an infusion of elite talent and size, our front office has no track record of success with this type of draft strategy or high-risk, high reward picks. not only that, but all the success that morey has had has been with the opposite strategy, namely acquiring as many potentially valuable assets as possible so that your hits (CBud, Landry) can offset the misses (Dorsey, Andersen).

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Allen was essentially traded for a #5 pick. Garnnett was traded for a #13 pick who already turned out to be proven. Odom(traded for Shaq) and Gasol were both essentially obtained because they were the Lakers. Shaq wanted the Hollywood exposure and Gasol from the Jerry West connection.

For Boston, you could say that lottery picks were simply a stepping stone to getting proven players, which essentially is what Morey wants to do. That's why his Plan A is Bosh. But if Plan A doesn't pan out, then the next logical step is to pick a player with that pick.