1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My thoughts from Cal state LB Rocket game!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LA's #1 Rocket Fan, Jul 13, 2001.

1. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Hi Everyone, This is my first post but I have been visiting this site almost everyday since the 98 draft. I like to say a few things before talking about the game. I first wanted to say that I love the rockets!!! I never liked basketball until I was 10 when I saw my first game on TV the rockets vs. the lakers that when to triple overtime. I think it was mad max, buck, sleepy F that were playing against worthy, sleepy P, majic. Watching the rockets play I began to love basketball and since then they have always been my favorite team even though I lived my life in LA. I'm not a bandwagoner, I have always been a rocket fan through good and bad times. I only record rocket basketball games and watch them over and over again (when I get the chance)and I still got my 94 and 95 chapionship videos with my 94 world champion polo shirts that I order along time ago and still sport once in a while. I also like to say that Bill Walton( the clipper ColorC.)does like the rockets. He is really funny too except on NBC. Here are some things that I recall he has said in the past: He chose houston to win it all back in 94 and when ralph L. (other CC)said that he didn't think they would, bill said he was going to tell OT and Hakeem to meet him in the parking lot so they could go talk to Ralph about it after the game. In another game he just keep going on about how Francis is just dominating Odom at the half time, Odom had a triple double at half time and francis had half the stats, then ralph said what? and bill just said look who's winning. Anyway I'm really excited about this coming season and I'm really so happy to be a member of this board!

Ok now about the game. Eddie in the first min got two fouls. Both fouls trying to block on defense. The second foul he came from behind to block and the player then bend down and eddie just practically jumped right over him, except his feet landed on the clipper player's shoulders. I think he played only for 3 or 4 mins in the first half but he did get 5 rebounds in that time. This dude can rebound, if he didn't rebound it he at least had a finger on most of the balls that came down. I don't think anyone has to worry about Mo's rebounding problem with Eddie next to him. He looks like Tim Dunkin on the court. He really moves and plays like him. And he can block!! I counted 4 sure blocks, and 1 I couldn't tell if it was him or someone else that got it. He's got great instincts on blocking. His arms are so LONG. As for shooting, in pratice at the half he made every shot he took starting at the rim to all the way out past the 3pt line, it was so effortless. As for shooting in the game he seemed to be forcing it on the first 2 or 3 shots, and he was definitely forcing it with the last 2 or 3 shots due to the time left in the game. The rockets were really feeding him in the post when he was in. Most of his miss shots hit the back of the rim, except for one that bounced off the glass, the misses were really close to going in. He had a nice Otis thorpe type outlet pass from rebound. Just barely got it in his hands and threw it almost the length of the court for a perfect pass lay up. I'm impressed mostly with his blocks. One block he had was him going from behind on a fast break and the clipper player was laying it in and eddie jumped up so high and his hand was so out that his hand just held the ball against the glass for a while while his body caught up(Hope that made sense). It looked like he was going to slam dunk the ball in the glass when his hand and ball just stood hung there. That was one awesome block. He's ready defensively, just needs to get more comfortable offensively. He's going to be perfect with Mo. On a side note EG was wearing 33 today. Now about Terence Morris. At the begining I was getting him and EG mixed up. They look kinda alike from far away with the same hieght and all. But the body's are a little different. EG does have that big bone tim duncan look, and TM has that skinny lamar odom look, IMO. TM really drove it in alot to kick it out. But his first 3 or 4 shots where out near the 3pt line. He looked comfortable driving inside. He had a nice block also, coming from the right side of the court when a clipper looked competely open for a lay up on the left side and then bam TM just came over and swat that thing for a fast break. TM had a couple of shots bounce way over the rim and fall in, it was nice. He played with alot of confidence driving and shooting. I think he's going to be a good back up of EG. Now DL he was a great outside shooter today. He really had the touch from outside and had a nice drive going between two defenders then head on another defender looking like he was going to dunk but layed it nicely. It was sweet. Sean colson was really confident playing today. He really had it going in the 1st but he doesn't really reminded me of a point gaurd. In my opinion he looked like he was looking to shoot first almost on every play even if double. He was scoring in bunches though, and it looked like at one point everything he threw up was going in. His scoring impressed me but not his control as a point guard leader in setting up plays. as for the other players JC looked lost out there and slow. I really didn't know who the other players were and none were really that great except maybe V. Hamilton (2nd round 99). I was wanting to see Cato with EG and TM, together they would be a monster blocking machine. The whole game was the clippers and it was only until the middle of the 4th quarter that it was close. I really thought the rockets were over matched with the clippers having two legit starters with Odom and Jeff Mc. But the rockets could have won if they had a true point out at the end. SC didn't really do a good job in the final 3 mins. which costed the game. Still it was a good game to see. Well hopefully tomarrow we'll win.

other players that impressed me from other games earlier was radmanovic. He impressed everyone watching. He was really comfortablle out there. Earl watson was good too with a couple of fancy moves. And the other eddie(curry) was nice too with strong moves. Chandler looked really nervous out there forcing shots because the crowd was cheering him to shot it. It wasn't pretty being in his shoes today. Odom played great with nice moves but that's expected. Ohh almost forgot, Fizer was teriffic. He shot inside, then made a few 3pters, some nice assists, he did it all. All and all very impressive playing today.
    Please don't anyone make fun of my writing, I know I'm not great at english, thanks.

I took some pics but don't know how to post them here. They are not that great but if anyone's interested in seeing them go to my picture site at:

http://public.fotki.com/323rocket/my_pictures/

You can also click on the picture to get a larger view.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LA's #1 Rocket Fan (edited July 13, 2001).]

2. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

[​IMG]

If English is not your first language, you are communicating very well.

What I can't figure out is how you got such a pretty date for your prom. Oh yeah- you are a Rocket's fan! [​IMG]

Thanks for the report. I am jealous that I can't watch the games in Long Beach with you.

------------------

3. MontgomeryWard

[​IMG]

Good job with the pictures and it's good to hear we have fans in Cali.

------------------
    Question about a Tree?
    Go to the 5th Ward and tell Daryle I sent you.

4. Eddie Griffin

Eddie Griffin Member

Thanks for your recap. I could find some information from it so it was good for me. [​IMG]I could see your pictures, too. There are not too much action on it... but your camera must be an amateur one. [​IMG]
    Your English is much better than mine! [​IMG]

5. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

LARocket, thanks for your great game report. Love to hear more from you

And welcome to the board!! [​IMG]

6. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome,

Kingrene: I guess your right being a rocket fan does have it's advantages LOL [​IMG]

I also wanted to say that it really felt good to watch the rocket game, Being from LA I don't have really any rocket fans over here and today for the first time I actually heard cheers besides mine in the stands or at home. It really felt good and I just wanted to say I'm glad to have cheered with all of you that where there at Cal State LB and to chat with you here now also. And all the rest of you guys too.

------------------

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

great pictures thanks for the recap... i got a feeling though that the only reason the clippers won is cause they had odom out there. we had a whole bunch of guys trying toget into the flow of the nba.put francis runnin the point with griffin and t-mo it owuld have bee a different game

------------------
    "Wahooo"-homer
    I'm not only a fan but I'm also the bartender at clutchcity chat
    For the last time I'm not Tybrave!!!!!

8. alaskansnowman

Thx fo recap.

------------------
    its not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours - alaskansnowman

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Hey, thanks very much LA Rocket Fan for your recap. It was excellent. And you write very well.

Welcome to the board, and I am looking forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

10. Castor the friendly postR

Great report. 1 question though, How did you geta picture of KT's little friend [​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Castor the friendly postR (edited July 13, 2001).]

11. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

Nice post "LA'S #1 Fan".
    You can see us in one of your pics... right behind the bench.

Maybe we'll see you at the game. We will try and sit in the same seats ... one or two rows back from Rocks bench.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Sattle
    Sat50.com

[This message has been edited by Sattle (edited July 13, 2001).]

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good job and welcome to the board. Please don't take any of the silly arguing in other threads as a sign of anything other then us having a laugh.

Nice to have you on the board.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

13. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

yeah.. i got the impression everyone is relaxed and just havin fun here.

------------------
    Sattle
    Sat50.com

14. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Excellent report. I enjoyed it immensely.

*drools*

Mmmmm, fast-breaks.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know if anybody noticed this at all, but there is a really funny detail in one of the pictures...it looks like one of the referees is beating up one of the players with a shoe.

See if you can find it...it is on the right side of this picture... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Castor the friendly postR

Looks more like a trainer doing it than a referee.

CK

------------------

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent info, LA. You reported on some things that I was interested in, that I didn't remember anyone else mentioning. Mainly that EG is a good rebounder, and that he made a good outlet pass, indicating that he might be a good outlet passer (like OT). When this team runs its small lineups out on the floor, with EG playing PF, there will be a lot of fast breaking, and good outlet passers will be a tremendous boon.

Also, it is interesting to hear that Colson's good game had its drawbacks. I read that he had the 7 TOs to go with his 8 assists, but the shooting and scoring numbers were pretty impressive. Sounds like he doesn't have the PG mentality that he should for his height.

Anyway, great report, and I look forward to more from other Rocket's games!

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

18. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

LOL Det The Threat that picture is funny. Hey Dave, Big E, Will, Sattle I did notice you guys across from me behind the rockets bench at the game. Cool to know other memebers from the board at there. See you guys at the game!

------------------