1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My take on Mallett from today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Until/unless he is an unrestricted free agent or there is some other logical way that he could become our QB, can we just leave Teddy out of here?

I understand that we could've (maybe should've) drafted him, but that was two years ago and the ship has sailed. Arguing about what could've been is unproductive at best and just effing annoying at worst.

Let's fill our Texans threads with Texans, right?

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

58 passes for a "rookie" QB is so bad. Offensive game planning has been atrocious in part because our running game is a giant POS right now. With our OL injuries and Arian, doesn't look like it's going to get fixed any time soon.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Houston Texans
    – The benching of Brian Hoyer led the Texans to start a higher upside option in Ryan Mallett, but Mallett (-8.2) showed little of that promise in this game. His receivers didn’t help out on the stat sheet, with an abysmal six drops by his receivers (though our grading accounts for it). Even so, he simply missed on too many of his throws. He completed just 5-of-20 passes aimed over 10 yards in the air, and the bulk (-6.2) of his negative grade came under pressure, where he failed to complete even a single pass, going 0-for-16.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/21/hou-car-grades-jadeveon-clowney-making-impact-felt/

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Profootball focus says 6 drops were made by receivers...also, their grading system does not penalize Mallett for drops...and Mallett still bombed the test. For comparison, Hoyer had a -1.4 grade.

5. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

I don't know about you but all this talk about Bridgewater makes me want some...
    [​IMG]

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Does it account for asking him to throw the ball 58 times in the game!!! I mean that's a joke. We're supposed to be PATS south and they run the ball more than any team in the league. We did so last year too!!! Are the OL & RB depth so bad that we have to go gunslinger?!?!

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Probably not, but Mallet was actually better in the 2nd half.

He's tied for last under PFF's grading system for QBs.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

FWIW the real Pats offense went 38-of-59 yesterday agains the Bills.... that was with Blount returning to action.

We've got to be able to adapt man. It happens; injuries, suspensions, trades, etc. it all affects the teams overall dynamic but we have to build enough talent throughout the roster in order to remain competitive even if we lose a big time starter or 2.

When that will happen remains to be seen.

9. rezdawg

The Patriots always throw a lot and rarely rely on the running game, compared to the rest of the league.

They were 7th in pass attempts last season, 7th in 2013, 4th in 2012, 2nd in 2011, 2nd in 2010, etc...

Houston was 30th last season under OB.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to realize that the people you are talking to don't recognize the difference between a QB being babied by only having to throw the ball 18 times and a QB being asked WAY too much of with no O line, no running game, and being asked to throw the ball 58 times.

Some people just aren't fit to discuss QB play.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Tom Brady has never won a game where he was asked to throw the ball 58 times or more. I know you don't understand why that would be, but just accept it as fact that no QB should ever have that much asked from him in any game.....much less one that ended in regulation.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You must have missed my last post. And they won yesterday.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How many passes did he throw yesterday?

14. rezdawg

Im not discussing W/L...im just watching how he handled pressure, his reads, his inaccuracy, etc... I dont really evaluate a QB on win/loss...just like I dont evaluate a pitcher on win/loss. It's a team game, but Mallett failed along with the OL and RBs and JJo.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, I didn't have numbers on that game. Awesome, now his team is 1-2 in those games. I guess now we should expect a guy to be able to handle it in his 3rd ever start since Brady finally pulled it off in his 16th season.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The "why" is as important as the "what", all things considered Mallett did pretty well if you look at everything. Consider no O line, no run game, multiple drops by WR's....context like that matters.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say that, and I wouldn't expect that. Mainly because Mallett just isn't very good.

18. rezdawg

No, he didnt. PFF accounts for poor OL play, pressure, etc... He still graded out more poorly than any QB in the league.

It's funny how you give Mallett a break for poor protection, but ignore it when it comes to TB against the Niners. The Niners had more hurries and QB hits against the Vikings than the Panthers had on Mallett. Both teams had the same number of rushing yards by RBs.

So no, Mallett didnt do well "all things considered". He sucked along with the OLine.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How good he is has yet to be seen, having a guy pass the ball 58 times in one of their first ever starts isn't a fair basis for judgement.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, a QB goes 20-44 for 193 yards with 2 interceptions and no TD's with a 39 QB rating in their 3rd ever start. Would you say it would be impossible for that QB to go on to be a HOFer? How about go on to break the all time passing yards in a season record? What if they never topped a 60 QB rating in any of their first 3 starts? What if they threw 8 picks in their first 3 starts?

Clearly that QB couldn't be worth a damn right?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One gets the ball out quickly, one doesn't. You are a cult member of a religion devoted to one of them and not the other.