1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My take on Mallett from today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He threw the ball what, 18 times all game? They asked almost nothing from him and they got almost 200 yards on the ground. Sorry, it takes more for a QB to impress me than that.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Keep playing Mallett. I don't want to go into next season with people wondering if he should be our QB. Of course next season everyone will probably be clamoring to see Savage. Last season the Texans determined that Fitz wasn't our franchise QB. This year Mallett gets his turn. It only took one game to determine that Hoyer wasn't our franchise QB.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Okay, so throwing the ball 30+ yards would impress you then? He completed almost 80% of his passes and scored 2 TDs. Efficiency matters in the NFL. TB had a very good game today. If he needed to throw the ball 30 times to make you impressed, Im sure him and the team would have done just as well…

And the game was pretty much over after the 3rd quarter…no need to pass the ball, TB had already delivered the W at that point.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's cool, I'm fine with you being impressed by that sort of thing. Just don't expect me to be.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Needs to keep playing. Showed some good things, showed some bad things. About what you'd expect from a rookie which he effectively is. If the Texans stay patient it will pay off.

6. rezdawg

Yeah, you're impressed by Ryan Mallett. Enough said.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hoyer or Mallett?

I'll take laser passes to no one over weenie passes to no one.

Mallett could use more time in the pocket. If he weren't running for his life and could throw some deep balls it would loosen everything else up. Second year players from Columbia replaced by street FA's just isn't going to get it done in the NFL, though granted the Panther D line was makeshift also.

I though his height was going to be a big advantage to drop the ball over rushers to the check-off back, but it didn't seem to work. They may gave been tied up blocking all day.

His good balls were super, his bad balls were ugly, but he was under pressure the whole time. Watching Romo right after made it look like he was throwing behind a rock wall compared to what Mallet had, ..until.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

@PatDStat: Ryan Mallett was 5 of 20 on throws over ten yards or more for 106 yards . 48 came on one pass to Washington. #Texans

9. Victorious

Victorious Member

lol so sad these are our options. the guy who is better a throwing to nobody. any QB studs in the draft next season?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Only thing that kept us in it was penalties.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

True very true.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Verdict is still out but I'm sticking to my original guns. Fitzpatrick is superior to both of our current QB's and I think they moved him because the drunk fans from Katy, TX cry so much on 610am. Mallett WILL look good in a game this year. Or a drive here and there. But he's incredibly inconsistent from throw-to-throw and always has been.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And that Cam was way off in his passing game in the 1st half.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mallett isn't the most accurate QB in the world, but no QB would look good when over 14% of their total pass attempts were dropped by WR's. That's just inexcusable. The Texans can't afford another 8 drop day.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To put the numbers in context, the Texans as a team only had like 14 drops all of last season. Just a pathetic job by the receiving corps.

16. rezdawg

Yeah, let's make up that number and then assign it as a percentage. Makes sense.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a made up number, there were officially 8 drops yesterday and seeing where they assigned the drops, I'd have argued for maybe one or two more. I know having a ridiculously high number of drops hurts the narrative you've been pushing, but you'll just have to deal with it.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Out of 58 passes, I had 5 that were truly bad passes on Mallett's behalf. Here they are...</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/645979296478003201">September 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FWIW, revised numbers if the 8 passes weren't dropped is 60 % (completion percentage) <a href="https://t.co/FAG8OpNSJm">https://t.co/FAG8OpNSJm</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/645978485345808385">September 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He was actually arguing to convince the ref that he threw the ball away rather than take the sack... maybe in his mind it was the right thing to do. Obviously you would rather take the sack for what would of been about 8 yards? rather than an extra 10 yards from the spot of the intentional grounding. The loss of down would have been the loss of down but I"m glad we had that timeout left. 10 second run off would of killed us if not.

I agree with most he has accuracy issues. Maybe we'll see what he really has to offer once he has a better offensive team around him. Those drops hurt in part of other receivers but he really needs to work on his touch. He has zip which is great but he needs to know when to lay off a bit and use more touch instead of strength.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

All that matters for the time being is if Mallett is good enough to win with.

Run the ball effectively and give the kid a chance FFS.