1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My take on Mallett from today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015.

1. mazinger

mazinger Member

Mallett had to throw in a hurry most of the time since the O-Line sucked.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Your top QBs today: anyone in the AFC North, anyone in Florida, and Brady. <a href="http://t.co/JqqWcSEswC">pic.twitter.com/JqqWcSEswC</a></p>&mdash; Football Perspective (@fbgchase) <a href="https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/645741373522640898">September 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. conquistador#11

went back and watched the first half, five passes that should have been out right caught, 2 more that were iffy but i'll give the receiver the benefit of the doubt on the 200mph fast ball. those 5 passes would have given him 55% completion rate with 43 yards to his total. I'm also giving him the Td where washington slipped. so in total: 287 yards/ 2tds/ 1int/55% the rating came out to 90.1

you can win with that rating. the 4.o per pass is what prevented that rating from being a 95.4. but those -1 yard pass turned to 3 yards were our version of a running game.

If teddy bridg water was the name of the guy that threw that stat line today, the performance would have been heralded as full of promise in thy kingdom.

Let's wait till mallet really loses a game to judge better and call him an idiot. no human should be throwing 60 passes/

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They were pretty solid their first years though. Even Schaub managed a QBrating in the 80s his first year.

Mallet had a 57 rating today. Of course it's possible that he's not really this bad, by the accuracy was disturbing. Probably not something that gets better with game experience

#44 Mr. Clutch, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true that he shouldn't have thrown 58 passes, the 11-58-1 all time record of teams with QB's who threw that many or more passes shows that it's not a winning strategy no matter who your QB is.

I was actually impressed that Mallett managed to avoid sacks and turnovers as well as he did given the just pathetic state of the O line. It's actually reason for optimism. Give Mallett even as good of protection as he had in week 1 with some kind of production from the RB's and I think you see a totally different looking game.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This pretty much sums up what and who Mallett is. The big arm is great to see but at times it looks like he's billy Madison playing dodgeball against the grade schoolers.

7. Mr. Clutch

He should already be on the same page with his receivers. He threw it to the wrong spot several times

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, you're SO salty about your boy Hoyer losing his job.

9. Mr. Clutch

Not really, not a fan of Hoyer, I just predicted he would start week 1.

But you're in damage control mode today.

Any new information that means you weren't wrong about Mallet?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, damage control mode? C'mon I know you aren't the best at knowing what you are seeing when you watch football, but it really wasn't a terrible performance all things considered. Did anyone really expect Mallett to do something in his 3rd ever start that guys like Tom Brady and Drew Brees have never been good enough to pull off?

You put that much on a QB and give them that little to work with, you don't get very good results.

11. Mr. Clutch

Keep backtracking.

Or just use the new information excuse.

12. mclawson

mclawson Member

Million dollar arm and a five cent head.

13. Fantasma Negro

He's completely inaccurate. Dude just throws the ball as hard as he can at receivers and prays for them to catch it. Its going to be a long year, but on the bright side we'll have a good draft pick

14. jae713

jae713 Member

Biggest difference between Hoyer and Mallet today was that this loss was not due to qb play. Mallet has some short comings but IMO they can be fixed and improved on. Overall his decision making was ok except for some throws he tried to force in which I blame on the stagnant offense. Eventually you have to be a little bit more aggressive with your passing to try and create something out of nothing.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not going to put much stock in that, seeing as how he was asked to be our whole offense, but wasn't able to step into about half of his throws. Plus it was his third career start. About a quarter of his passes were thrown strictly to avoid sacks. Frankly, I'm impressed he was only sacked basically twice.

I'm not saying he's the answer, but I'm excited to see how he progresses through the season.

I'm not convinced he's got rocks for brains, either. He's made better adjustments at the line than Hoyer so far this season.

#55 Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also it lists what they think to be the 3rd best QB this week as someone with 15 total pass attempts.

17. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Whats so bright about the draft pick. Texans have proven time and time again that when its comes to the draft, they are clueless.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

First round they are pretty good.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This season is not going the direction I thought it would go. Maybe it's the hard knocks curse, or just pure bad luck. I just don't know.

So much went wrong today starting with coaching all the way down to the last man on the bench. On Mallett's performance I will say this, the kid has heart. He wasn't accurate but with that terrible oline who really would be. Add in the fact that we didn't have any running game. Wow . Toss in the play calling by Godsey equals loss every time.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How can you comment on a game you didn't watch? Accuracy matters…and TB was on point today, with or without a running game.

Funny how you bring up last week and TB not playing well…when the Vikings OLine was getting crushed. Yet, you use that as an excuse for Mallett.