1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My take on Mallett from today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Mallet or Mallett? I don't know and don't want to Google.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's Mallett.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Bring Keenum back!

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Savage has the arm power. We can keep wanting to play the next guy on the bench but there is a reason why they are not starting. None of these guys are any good.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

if the franchise is waiting on Tom Savage to command the helm rather than draft some competition then that is a waste.

typical Texans.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

I've never thought of Savage as mobile. But I haven't seen much him play much. I'm not impressed with any of our QB's right now. The offensive line is a huge problem, especially when your QB doesn't move well. I don't have a good feeling about the rest of this year, but we will see.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't believe this dumbass is our best choice at this point. Very sad!

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Management is just flat out bad in houston. We have been one of the worst teams when it comes to drafting takent. Sure we've hit a few home runs but overall Rick smith has done a terrible job and shoulda been fired with kubiak.

This team is not going anywhere till they grow a sack and make some big boy moves were the nice guy franchise and it shows on Sunday's. When Matt schaub and kubiak are your best qb and coach combo in your history your in Browns territory.

It's getting harder and harder to support this team because the product on the field is just not fun to watch.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to Mallett.....he's the best healthy starting QB in the state of Texas.....so that's something.

10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Which QB should the Texans target in the upcoming draft?

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed. He's more inaccurate and dumber than expected.

12. The Real Shady

This is true. If we had Bridgewater though...

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then it would no longer be true? We don't have AD to bail him out with 130+ yards and we saw what he looked like without that...not very good.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think that's overly harsh for a guy who essentially just made his 2nd NFL start (when healthy).

He had a mixed bag... there was drop issues, there were accuracy issues, he had his WTF interception throw, and then there was two very good TD drives (where he made the right decisions).

As far as not having touch... I have a feeling the game will slow down for him some as he gets a little more comfortable with this line/offense as well as receivers in game situations. His deep pass to Washington (that should have been a TD) did have a great amount of touch on it. Then again, there were several balls coming out at 100 mph (with iffy catch potential) when an 80 mph touch pass would have been sufficient.

Will need a few more games before he either improves upon the mistakes... or he merely goes in the books as another strong-armed QB who fails.

15. apatel123

apatel123 Member

This guy has the physical tools to be a pro bowl quarterback. His mental composure under pressure is suspect and among the worst is the league. Just a waste of a great arm. Bring back Hoyer please

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

His second healthy start but it's also his 5th year in the league. In terms of reads he shouldn't have been that bad

17. The Real Shady

He also has to learn to not rocket the ball to a WR that is only 5 yards deep. There were a lot of drops, but sometimes the short passes need to be thrown with touch and lead the WR.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Did it seem like Mallett and the receivers were not on the same page today? A lot of balls thrown to no one.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Eh, even the QB's who sat for awhile (Palmer, Rodgers, romo) didn't tear it up the instant they hit the field.

I agree, he should have a pretty short learning curve. I thought the reads he made on those 8 passes that were dropped were fine.

I don't think he's hopeless, but still has some consistency issues to work on.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this was Mallet's 2nd true nfl start, and he had a horrible o-line, no running game, and receivers constantly dropping balls

and he was one throw away from tying the game

he didn't play great in a vacuum, but in context he did as well as can be expected and should do better with more experience and an improved/healthier roster