1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My solution to Hack-A (JVG feel free to use it tonight on the broadcast)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, May 25, 2015.

1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Everything will stay the same (you can't do it under 2 minutes) the only I thing would change is if the player makes the second shot, regardless of what happens on the first shot, if he makes the second shot, he gets to shoot a 3rd shot.

I think this dramatically decreases the hack-a strategy if coaches know that there's a possibility of giving up 3 points when they do it. It will basically only work if the player misses both shots.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How bout players who make tens of millions get training that cutting edge "sports science" offers so they make more of them?

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Just like the NFL is coming up with ways to change the extra point, NBA needs to come up with ways to change free throws. Fans just don't want to watch either play because they're boring.

In the NBA, my idea is for a foul that leads to 2 or 3 free throws, the first one is not taken and is automatically a point (which is awarded to the player who shoots the 2nd or 3rd one).

This by the way kills hack-a-whoever because this guarantees 1 point per possession. So even if an absolutely awful FT shooter like Jordan/Dwight only shoot 30% from the line, that's 1.3 points per possession.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Uhhh yeah, GS doesnt need to use the hack strategy anyways.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How about if you get hacked, you get to shoot FT anywhere you want in the paint?

6. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

How about if you get hacked. 1 shot and the ball.

1 person likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

All aboard the merry-go-round that is this conversation!

The rule is unsportsmanlike and ruins the pure competition of the game. If a player can't make free throws it's very legitimate to foul him with the ball. But letting the defense dictate the other team's decision making by fouling players of their choice away from the play? Not good.

Your turn!

This is my preference.

1 person likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

While we're at it, how about the NBA central office constantly reviewing flops and rescinding free-throws or points created by flops during dead balls?

(I jest, but that would be epic.)

9. basketballholic

Just interpret the rules consistently. If they're going to call two-hand touch fouls then call all contact. It is UNDENIABLY INCONSISTENT to call every foul when 2 hands are placed on Dwight and then not call every foul where 2 hands are placed on Harden. If every 2-handed touch were called then Harden would shoot 40 free throws a game and we'd be undefeated.

That's what should change. Officiating the rules consistently. So if you're not going to call every 2-handed touch on Harden then can't call that crap when they do it to Dwight.

#9 basketballholic, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Yea but I swear they need to fine the players and REFS for flops. Punish the official for falling for that crap.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The reason they're hacking is because they can't hit free throws..So there's really no reason to fear the possibility of giving up 3 points. They can't even go 2-2 usually.

12. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I think that is a great idea! The second, or third shot (on 3 pointers), really does become the bonus. That would speed up the game so much and end much of the intentional fouling. Your idea would do nothing to really change the intentional fouls committed at the end of games when behind either.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Why do we have to make rules for a few players who can't hit a shot. So are we going to adjust the game for people who can't dunk? Should we bring the goal lower to accommodate them?

Should we make the hoop bigger for those aren't good outside shooters so we can help them?

This is part of the game they need to learn just like any other skill.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's quite different because players can't be forced to do those things while they can be forced to shoot FT's, which is strange on its own.

The rules always change to make a better game. I would argue this change would improve games instantly given how the rule is being abused.

15. ibm

ibm Member

get rid of the last 2 min. make the rule the same the entire game. that's the only thing in my mind that needs change. everything else stays where they are will be just fine.

i dont mind a game goes for a few extra minutes. after all, only a few players they'd hack in the entire league. and yes, those who cant shoot ft's need to be punished, embarrassed and taken advantage of.

fyi, iirc, chris webber's ft % in his rookie yr: 50%; the year after: 75%. saw it on tv the other day.

16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

That's a great idea! It will also dramatically cut some time off the games.

17. xaos

xaos Member

How about if you get hacked, a fan gets to shoot a free throw for 500 points.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

There used to be a 3 to make 2 rule. Seems like they could just bring it back for these intentional fouls off the ball.

19. SemisolidSnake

Agreed. Free throws are more fundamental to every NBA player than even dribbling. It's disgusting that, as a franchise, we allow millionaires to perform worse than any middle-schooler coming out of a Calvin Murphy camp at the line. Shameful.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

But the NBA has a long history of improving the quality of the product through rule changes, and they're often inspired by only a handful of players, and in some cases, a single player. Not to mention, legislating the hack-a-whomever strategy out of the game would be a minor change compared to some of the items listed below.

Dunking
    Goaltending
    5-second "back down"
    24-second shot clock
    3-second violation
    10-second / 8-second violation
    Addition of (and subsequent adjustments to) the 3 point line

All that said, don't get me wrong. It infuriates me that millionaire basketball players can't hit an uncontested shot from 15 feet, but for whatever reason, some just never will. But they're already penalized for it when they're fouled legitimately (with the ball), so I don't see the elimination of the hacking strategy as some sort of free pass.