1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My sister most likely has contracted Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Mar 27, 2020.

1. what

what Member

Well my mom's cat scan did not go the way we had hoped. She has pneumonia in both lungs. Her doctor requested to see her: let me just say this that when you are diagnosed with pneumonia that what determines the level of it is according to your vitals, in this case, your oxygen level. When my mom got her test, it was 84 she said, although my sister called back and said that they retested her with another machine and it was 87. My sister also said that she doesn't believe that it was 84 because she has seen patients who are that low and they can't breathe and are wheezing and my mom wasn't like that.
    She said that she will be retested inside the hospital with a more accurate machine so they are admitting my mom to the hospital.
    At this point, my sister said that they will give her oxygen to try and get her levels up over 90, but is not sure what else they are planning to do at this point.
    My sister thinks my mom had pneumonia last week and it would have shown if the cat scan had not broke. At this point my mom is in the severe case category, but we are hopeful that the pneumonia becomes under control.
    My mom is not being intubated or anything like that at this point, it is just the oxygen level that is worrisome.

2. what

what Member

Well they gave her a small amount of oxygen and her levels went back up. My sister said the least amount of oxygen the better. So we are in wait and see mode.
    Although my sister also thinks that there is a possibility that she also has pneumonia, but since her oxygen levels are good, she is not at this time going to get a cat scan.

B-Bob, DoitDickau, No Worries and 6 others like this.
  3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Wow @what ...hang in there. Clutchfans pulling for recoveries and good health!

AroundTheWorld, King1, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good to hear that they got your mom's oxygen level up and doesn't have to be intubated. It's a really hard process and one to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

boomboom and malakas like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

what..your mother has shown to have bilateral pneumonia and very low oxygen levels..but she doesnt' wheeze and she doen't have dyspnea?
    When she walks she isnt out of breath? She only has minor symptoms?

Are you sure that your mother isn't hiding her symptoms from your sister and you while she was alone in isolation?

From the looks of it, your mother just needs some light oxygen therapy, which happens in 20% of all known patients.
    I know you worry but have faith and hope! If her symptoms aren't that bad then she should improve fast.

Jontro, King1, DoitDickau and 2 others like this.
  6. what

what Member

That is true. We are still in the hopeful phase, because even though my mom has a severe case, it could always be worse. Thanks for the prayers clutchfans.
    My mom's name is Linda Runyon.

Jontro, King1, DoitDickau and 7 others like this.
  7. what

what Member

She is getting oxygen now and no she never hid anything, but my sister was concerned for various reasons.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Well that's great. Day 7 to 10 are the most dangerous ones and pneumonia is one of the most common results.

Heck the WHO even considers pneumonia in the "MILD" symptomatology.

I pray that your family gets better soon!
    Don't forget to take care of yourself too.

B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.
  9. what

what Member

Yeah, my mom was right all along.
    The crazy thing was that she wasn't wheezing, so I just don't know.
    Also, I think that pneumonia can be in a mild case because some people probably didn't even know they have it, but the risks certainly escalate with age and underlying conditions, not to mention the risk of long term lung damage. So yeah: I personally just pray to god that about three months before the outbreak my mom decided that she wanted to get into better shape if i helped her, so no joke i went over to her house every day after work and we did one and a half hours of yoga and breathing and stretching. She lost 20 pounds and a lot of body fat, which I can only imagine helped her get this far.
    It was crazy how it happened because my mom has been against losing weight for the longest and my sister also had quit smoking about 5 months before this.
    So at least it gave them a fighting chance against this monster.

GIGO, daywalker02, No Worries and 4 others like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Thats great and I hope people who are reading this thread are taking note.

Because this virus is here to stay for at least 2 years.
    There isn't much one can do in regards to diabetes and hypertension in a short while.
    But they can lose weight if they are obese or very overweight.

Even if it is 10-20 pounds it can save their lives.

11. what

what Member

So the doctor actually went ahead and tested my mom for covid-19 and said that if it comes back positive that they could offer her those drugs: HOWEVER, he said that since it has already been so long since she has contracted it she is in the middle of her 10th day, and since she is doing so good so far, that he would probably advise not to take it since she could be coming out of it.
    The fact is that we don't know if the pneumonia isn't already getting better at this point.
    So we are hoping that oxygen treatment and the longevity of her condition with this that the worst of it is over.
    So I will say that doctors and hospitals are doing a good job so I am thankful for hospitals.
    Just so you guys know if you happen to have a family member with this.

12. what

what Member

That's right. I know that you must be in the medical profession: my mom's symptoms were dizziness, nausea, lack of appetite, and a really bad cough.
    Yesterday she slept so long that my sister said she was going to take her to the emergency room, had my mom not already had the cat scan scheduled.
    In highsight, my sister said that all of her symptoms were classic low oxygen: and her cough worried her that it might be pneumonia.
    So she had symptoms, and they worsened yesterday, but before then my sister didn't see any shortness of breath so she didn't think her oxygen level reading was correct.
    So that was the tricky part: and you have to remember my sister is sick too and so she wasn't thinking straight.
    I myself have no clue about it because I'm not a nurse, so anyway luckily my mom did get the cat scan.
    The only problem is she should have got it a week ago and then we could have had something to judge the current one by.

malakas likes this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sending healing thoughts to your family. Thanks for keeping us updated. Keep hope alive.

FrontRunner likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not entirely, mostly younger ppl and some older ppl can milden the effect of hypertension by losing weight as 'what' has described.

A doctor also prescribed this for me, so pre-Covid I managed losing 11 pounds.

I am far from being obese but this helped for the headaches.

It is usually chronic hypertension that is dangerous, newly developed ones can be controlled, even without medication in my case.

malakas likes this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Prayers sent

CCity Zero, King1, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Prayers sent brother

mikol13 and malakas like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i hate reading this thread. not mentally strong enough.

but i am praying hard for your mum and sister. hang in there breh, we are all pulling for your family.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What, I dunno if totally legit but there are breathing exercises shared by a Brit doctor you can find and they supposedly help. One thing is to NOT just let your mom lie on her back all day. Actually restricts airways a bit. If she can hold some deep breaths, and if she can occasionally lie on her belly, this is supposedly good.

can any med people verify that?

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  19. elrond

elrond Member

Not a medical person, but have occasional bouts of coughing which ended up being diagnosed as asthma. For whatever it's worth, when I get it, can be difficult to breathe deeply without coughing, and I can say laying on my back is definitely worse than sitting up or on my belly.

On a side note had pneumonia once when in my 20s, and can say it is definitely no fun at all. The thing I remember the most is the endless coughing up of phlegm.

CCity Zero, malakas and B-Bob like this.
  20. what

what Member

So my mom has been the hospital about 2 days now. When she was admitted, it was due to a low oxygen level, which she says was like 80, so they gave her 2 liters of oxygen therapy, which raised her levels: two liters just so you know is the minimum they give: which is good. Last night her oxygen got low while she slept which the doctor thought was due to sleep apnea. He observed her sleeping and thought he saw it, so they increased the oxygen which got it back in line.
    They have run several tests: including white cell, coronavirus, and a test on her heart and kidney. She was positive for coronavirus, although most of her vitals: white cells and heart stress were normal. She had some issue with her kidney which they think was due to dehydration, so they gave her a bolus IV and this was also in conjunction with a low (in the 80s) blood pressure.
    At this point, they put put her on a couple of antibiotics and then gave her hydroxychloroquine and Zinc combo.
    Her blood pressure has been low, but the last time they checked since I talked to her it had shot up to a much better: 106, this was as a result of her getting out of bed and sitting up.
    So that's about where we are at at this point. My sister, for the record, again felt bad this morning so she is still battling this virus: and my mom is trying to get some sleep.
    We are still hopeful of a positive outcome.

VooDooPope, CCity Zero, B-Bob and 4 others like this.