1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My sister most likely has contracted Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Mar 27, 2020.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm sorry, what. It's cruel how this can be so easy on some, and so hard on others.

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

(It's a thread, need to click on the tweet and see the responses)

This was posted in another thread. It's not only deaths...seems like this virus causes lots of potentially long-term damage.

Hope your sister and mother recover fully, what.

FrontRunner, malakas and B-Bob like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I am reminded of 9/11, when we all thought the survivors would be absolutely fine, but many, many New Yorkers would be very sick from the horrific dust and debris billowing from the falling towers. :(

Surviving the first months of the virus is probably just the start of the story.

Take good care, @what -- and thanks again for sharing your family's story.

#184 B-Bob, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  5. body slam

body slam Member

What not to take away from your family but I heard Brenham has become a hot spot for c-19. That the state came in and took over a nursing home with 20+ cases.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. elrond

elrond Member

Yeah, that was one of the things about Sars...even if you survived it, you were left with long lasting lung injury. Definitely has an impact on quality of life. Just hope everyone can find a way to stay safe.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  7. what

what Member

Yes, the nursing home out here got hit hard with it - I told my sister yesterday that it is pure criminal the way nursing homes are being handled at this point.
    These old people are at the mercy of workers who may or may not be taking this pandemic seriously.
    There needs to be some strict rules put in place for how people can come in and out of that place.
    Make no mistake: people are bringing it to these people not the other way around.
    **** needs to get straight quick.
    They need oversight and the state needs to take action Now!
    The other thing is that people in brenham are pretty much working as usual. Very few people around here are taking it seriously.

8. B-Bob

I don't want to hijack @what's important thread, but I don't want to start my own either. Maybe this should be in "rollcall" thread? I dunno.

In the last week of March, Mrs. B-Bob had the following symptoms badly enough that it kept her awake at night and she ordered little cushions to put between her toes. It lasted like a painful, ugly-looking week on her toes and then vanished.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/cov...us-skin-lesion-discolored-swollen-feet-2020-4

I had suffered strange GI, headache, and coughing symptoms 7-10 days before that, assuming nerves and allergies, respectively. but we may have possibly had 'Rona visiting. The toes thing was really, really weird, with no explanation available. I kept (stupidly) saying "it's just something about your shoes or your exercise videos," but she would say "I haven't changed anything about those though."

Maybe it's all just wishful thinking b/c all of us wish we had antibodies. I hardly trust my own brain.

basso, Deckard, Ottomaton and 3 others like this.
  9. what

what Member

There is a lot we don't know about the virus, especially people who are asymptomatic. We assume it is only young people with robust immune systems, but that may not be the case.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, but it is a killer that is for sure.

DD

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I feel weird "liking" that post, which is frightening. I hope you are both OK, and stay OK. I've felt weird from time to time myself. Run a low grade fever that then goes away without explanation. Comes back briefly a few days later and then goes away again. Have very painful cramps in my neck that I assume is stress related. Have just a general feeling of "weirdness" different from my usual state of being, if that makes any sense. I've also told myself that it is likely allergies. This is a terrible time of year for allergies in Austin. Maybe I'm just hyper aware of my body right now.

My SO seems to be herself, aside from drinking a little more wine than she usually does. I was able to order her a new sewing machine, hard to get these days, and I hope she loses herself in that. We both worry about the kids. Our son is living with his partner in Dallas, and our contact with him hasn't changed much. Our daughter, who lives in Austin by herself and doesn't drive, sometimes spends a hour and a half talking to one of us on the phone. Longer than usual, yet perfectly understandable. We worry about her anyway, and I worry about both of us. It's like living in a dark science fiction novel, hoping the next chapter lightens up.

Best of luck to you both.

12. B-Bob

You too, @Deckard. Thanks. Mrs B-Bob did get to talk with her GP via Zoom or some crap today and the GP thinks we most probably had it, given no other conditions that could make the toes do that for the Mrs. (And when Mrs. B-Bob gave her a rundown of my earlier symptoms). So an antibody test is upcoming, when available, by doctor's orders for the Mrs.

We're lucky either way. Either we haven't had it, or we had mild versions. Stay safe.

Have also had a lot of neck pain, by the way, but I think it's increased laptop use! Seriously. When I had my symptoms of whatever it was, my ribs hurt every day like I'd been on the wrong end of a MMA match though. Very weird.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Do you also have a rash somewhere in your body?Do you experience fatigue and muscle cramps? Are you an outdoor person who goes into the woods and forests?
    Your symptoms raise some alarm bells but it has nothing to do with Covid19.
    If they continue and especially if you are experiencing fatigue and joint pain call your doctor.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I had something similar for two weeks. Also had fatigue, a scratchy throat and felt asthmatic. It was noticably different than when I had allergies after.

Who knows what it was...I couldn't get tested or a doctors visit.

Hope things are improving @what

B-Bob and malakas like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You're not hijacking, you're adding value.

basso likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No rash, although I can be a rash person. Don’t go into woods and forests like I once did. Doesn’t help that a large part of the beautiful pine forest east of Austin was destroyed by fire several years ago. I don’t have Lyme disease, if that’s what you’re thinking of, @malakas, which can be very serious. Thanks for the concern, however. Much appreciated.

malakas likes this.
  17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

In Texas specifically, only ~10% of those with symptoms bad enough to get tested come back positive. If you had those symptoms today you'd go get tested. You'd still have a 90% chance it was something else.

If you lived in New York, it'd be like a 40% chance you had it with those symptoms.

Something sort of weird went through my household early to mid March too. A light cough, a day where I felt absolutely exhausted...so much I had to go take a nap. I thought "allergies", and they may still be it as pollen counts were through the roof. My wife felt it like 2 days later, and my daughter had a "down" day where she didn't want to do anything. I'm like you...maybe I had one of those really light cases...but far more likely is we just had some other virus, or even a touch of vaccine blunted flu (we get our flu shots). No fevers anywhere.

So if I took an antibody test, I'd expect to not have had it because we basically isolated from the first week of March, but at this point, I wouldn't be "SHOCKED" to have had it I guess.

18. B-Bob

Yeah, I hear all of that, (even though we're in a very dense NoCal city), completely and had assumed there was no chance we had it. But the toes. We had never seen anything like that, but for photos of frostbite. We may never know.

@what -- any update on your mother and sister?

malakas likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@B-Bob , I had heard about the toe thing too as a possibly symptom. Also strange dreams are a possible symptom.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A 10% chance (if that's what it truly is) is still a 10% chance, right? If it was a 10% chance to get shot, you'd be really scared. If it was a 10% chance to win $10,000,000, you'd be super excited.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.