1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My run in with "Typical Houston Fan"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, May 2, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What did he say?

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

Gummi-

I was 3 rows up from you. What did these people look like?

3. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

I can't recall exactly, but something politically correct like the team didn't come out with enough energy and get the fans involved

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Saturday's crowd was amazing. If it didn't translate on tv, that's the tv's fault.

I'm so sick and tired of people who weren't even at the games b****ing about the crowds. Both games were very good as far as the crowd goes.

5. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Are you talking about the complainer?
    They were older folk. Saying middle aged would be generous. 2 gentlemen and the wife. She was wearing a black sweater and her guys were in casual clothes. Not even a hint of red. They were sitting in the isle seats directly behind the basket.

I doubt you noticed them, they didnt move the entire game.:rolleyes:

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont know why TNT/ESPN obviously dont allow the crowd noise to come through....I guess they want to make sure you can hear their announcers talk about things other than the game in progress..:rolleyes:

I have speculated before that the choice of mics and the gating on the microphones is the reason why you cant hear anything other than the announcers....I pretty much stick with that assesment.

I know that on the FSN/KNWS broadcasts...you can hear the crowd pretty welll.

I made a point of including a little extra footage in the clips video to allow the crowd noise to be heard just cause Im also sick of out-of-towners constantly whining about the fans.....

btw....way to generalize Gummi....afterall....you know that we are all that way..:rolleyes:

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Well you guys didn't have to sit in a suite with Maverick fans like i had to....:mad: They didn't say one word till the end of the game...punks....We outnumbered them in the room but still to have them walk in with the Mavs jerseys just irritated me....

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I could suffer through it....:(

call me for game 6...:D;)

9. Man

Man Contributing Member

:) I'd love to be in a suite :p

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

A couple of people have made points about the steepness of the upper deck.

Well, I'd have to agree. I've always been worried of falling when I'm trying to walk past people to go use the restroom or get some food. It's like walking a tightrope.

In fact I was at the game on Saturday and some time during the 4th quarter, I was standing and cheering up in 432 row 12, and out of nowhere some 16 or 17 year old kid falls forward onto me and sends me flying forward over 4 rows of people. I freaked out at first because I didn't know when or if I was going to stop falling. I skinned my knee, slammed my back on an arm rest and scraped a pretty big patch of skin off of my right arm during the fall. Nobody else was hurt. Turns out that the kid that fell on me had been pushed by his friend who was being a jackass. I'm not the kind of person to blow things out of proportion, especially in that environment, where everyone should be focusing on the game and cheering for the team, so I just shrugged the whole thing off and continued watching the game.

I guess my point is that you should be very careful in the upperdeck, and don't be stupid and horseplay up there because someone could get hurt. I'm a 22 year old able bodied man, but if I had been some elderly person, I could have been SERIOUSLY injured by that fall. It's no joke.

11. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

RM95,

You act as if you're the only one who goes to the games & that everything is A-OK with the crowd.

Guess what? You're not & it's not. Lot's of the people here who make these observations DO go to the games, so quit acting as if you are the only one with a angle to talk just because you - like 17,000 other people - bought a ticket. Did you poll everyone in here to ask who went & who didn't? Maybe you constantly get lucky enough to sit in sections with rabid Rockets fans who don't complain about anything, but I 0 and many others - have experienced being told to sit, or to be quiet...

Saturday's crowd was light-year's ahead of Thursday's - the difference was INCREDIBLY apparent. I think this is in no small part to the Rockets' "Stand Up & Cheer" blitz that let people know it's okay to let loose & cheer. Also, due to the crazy fans in the upper deck, who started every chant and were screaming their butts off 'til the end.

Anyway. Without resurrecting my "cops" thread - I want to thank the Rockets again for their response to that incident & to Thursday's crowd in general. Holly, from the Rockets, called me back to talk to me about the issue, about the way security dealt with it, & to clarify their policy on standing.

Basically they can't kick someone out for standing & cheering. If they are obnoxious about it, or the people behind them have a real issue with it, they can ASK you to sit, but they won't drag you away. If that's all you're doing - standing & cheering - then it is not wrong or illegal in any way - remember that.

It seems that the Rockets really made an effort to get the crowd up & loud on Saturday - and it worked. Big thank you to their staff.

Here's to hoping it's even louder on Thursday!

#31 Rocket G, May 2, 2005
    Last edited: May 2, 2005