1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Pre-Season Assessment of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Hopefully, the moves for this off-season are not done. I will break down the overall team's strengths and weaknessess and then look at individual players.

STRENGTHS:

The Rockets may have one of the best point guards in the game in Steve Francis. Entering his 3rd season out of Maryland, the Rockets' team is definitely his to lead. Francis has given the Rockets something that they desperately didn't have for a long time in an explosive point guard that can break down defenders off the dribble and create his own shot. Only Allen Iverson has a better cross-over move than Francis.

Steve's backcourt mate, Cuttino Mobley, will be entering his 4th season out of Rhode Island. The only Rocket left that has played in a playoff series in a Rocket uniform; he really came into his own last year as a scoring threat. It can be argued that Francis and Mobley are the best backcourt in the NBA.

Rockets coach, Rudy Tomjanovich, continues to go about his business without making headlines unlike other high-profile coaches. Rudy T who will be entering his 10th full season as Rocket coach already has 2 championship rings under his belt plus experience coaching International basketball. Known for his easy-going personality and being a "players coach", the job that he has done in changing a primarily aging dump in the post team to a young and run and gun team with only one losing season is nothing short of remarkable. He works with a great staff including his boss, GM Carroll Dawson. Larry "Mr. Mean" Smith and Jim Boylen have been Rudy T's assistants for several seasons, so the coaching staff is stable and has proven to have good chemistry.

Outside shooting has always been a staple of Tomjanovich teams. With the NBA allowing teams going to a zone defense, the Rockets can really benefit against the zone defense. Francis and Mobley both are good but not great 3 point shooters. However, new acquisition, Glen Rice is one of the league's premier 3 point shooters. Unfortunately, Rice has been hampered by foot problems and his production has gone down the last couple of years. Yet, the Rockets have had their eye on him for a long time. If he can produce anywhere close to what he was doing with the Hornets then he should win Comeback Player of the Year. Other important outside shooters include Walt Williams (status on the team is still in question), Moochie Norris (still is waiting to be re-signed), Dan Langhi, and rookie Eddie Griffin.

WEAKNESSES:

Although the Rockets have an outstanding backcourt, their frontcourt leaves a lot to be desired. Carroll Dawson was still trying to get a medical exemption for Maurice Taylor. Word was that it didn't look good (read that from another post here--can't remember who) which can seriously damage the Rockets from signing free-agent PF/C Marc Jackson of the Golden State Warriors. If the Rockets are successful in signing Jackson, then the frontcourt goes from really bad to mediocre. Several reasons for the frontcourt being awful is the unfulfilled potential of one Kelvin Cato, the inexperience of Jason Collier, the question marks of Glen Rice's health, and most importantly the devastating Achilles injury of Maurice Taylor. The Rockets were already weak in rebounding and losing Taylor for the season makes a bad situation even worse. If no outside help is brought in then it will be up to Kenny Thomas, in his 3rd season out of New Mexico to step up and have a career year. With the loss of long-time center Hakeem Olajuwon, Kelvin Cato has to become a more inspired player and one that doesn't get injured as frequently as he did last year. The Rockets have been encouraged by the recovery of Jason Collier, and you can bet he will play a big role. Another key will be the development of Eddie Griffin. A lean 6-11 19 year old rookie, he has the making of being a superstar player; however, it doesn't look like that Rudy T wanted to start him immediately. Yet, Taylor's injury changes everything and he may go with Griffin at the 4 spot.

Defensively, this team is below-average. Going to the zone defense may be something that Rudy T considers because it will help his below-average players. Only Francis and Mobley are decent defenders and that's only because they don't concentrate on it. Cato and Eddie Griffin have the potential to be dominating defenders but neither has realized it yet because Cato has been injured and played below his potential and Griffin is a rookie.

PLAYERS:

Probable Starting Line-Up:

SF Glen Rice - key to the Rockets in making the playoffs. He must have a monster year and take the pressure off the guards offensively. His defense has gotten better of late but he will never be on any All Defense teams.

PF Kenny Thomas - this may change to Eddie Griffin or even Marc Jackson but for now assume that KT will start. Probably the team's most gifted rebounder, he will scrap and battle for points. Probably a little undersized height wise to bang with the topnotch 4's of the league, it will be interesting to see how he will matchup on defense. It can be argued that he might be the difference in the Rockets making the playoffs and being a lottery team.

C Kelvin Cato - for the time being he's the starter. However, don't be surprised to see Collier take most of the minutes and even start if Cato doesn't produce. If he could just provide 7 to 8 points a game, 6 rebounds a game, and be a defensive presence ala Mark Eaton then the Rockets will take it.

SG Cuttino Mobley - still hoists up some ill-advised shots at times, he has quickly become one of the NBA's most underrated players. Look for him to have an even bigger year scoring wise as the Rockets will be more perimeter than ever.

PG Steve Francis - the Franchise needs no more description. He is the Rockets franchise and he will be looked upon, fairly or not, to try to lead this team into the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

Bench:

PF/SF Eddie Griffin - the Rockets top draft pick--as mentioned earlier the Rockets seem to want to nurture him carefully. He must put some pounds on and get stronger i.e. develop an "NBA body" to be successful. The faster he can do this and contribute the better the Rockets will be.

PG/SG Moochie Norris (If he re-signs) - a fan favorite and a key element of the Rockets run and gun style of offense. The Rockets could be in trouble if they are unable to bring him back. It would mean that Mobley would probably have to be the Franchise's back-up.

C/PF Jason Collier - he had a rookie season to forget with problems with injuries. He has rehabilitated well and the Rockets will be counting on him to draw opposing centers out from the basket to respect his outside shot. He could probably stand to get a little stronger as well.

SG/SF Terrence Morris - I really don't know much about him except that he played at Maryland with Francis and the Rockets traded to get him in the 2nd Round. He had his best season at Maryland in Steve's last year. Don't look for him to get many minutes this season.

SF/PF Walt Williams - although the Rockets are reportedly shopping him around, he may still stay because of the Taylor injury. He's another shooter to bring off the bench except he could be the streakiest shooter in the NBA and he doesn't have much left when it comes to D.

SF/SG Dan Langhi - his role should definitely be expanded this year. Look for him in the first rotation off the bench. The Rockets have been impressed with his work ethic, hustle, and desire.

SG/PG Oscar Torres - I don't know much about him except that he's from Venezuela (thanks Det the Threat).

OUTLOOK:

Despite being a huge, die-hard fan of the Rockets, I feel that the team has too many question marks to say right now that they will be a playoff team. If they can re-sign Norris and obtain Marc Jackson and maybe even another rebounder, look for the Rockets to make some noise in the West as a lower-seeded playoff team. But those are big ifs and if they don't go the Rockets way, it may be another trip to the lottery.

Sorry for the long post.

#1 Manny Ramirez, Sep 23, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2001
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is from Venezuela.

3. rock

rock Member

I agree with the points made in your thread. If Eddie Griffin pans out, then this could be a very interesting season. I am already looking forward to seeing how Rice will produce given his role on the Rockets. We already know what to expect from Francis, Mobley, and Kenny Thomas. Bring back Mooch and servicable power forward and we are good to go. Cato better improve with the starting position. The pressure is on!

4. timm

timm Member

I agree with most of the comments. I think Rox would be a funnnn team to watch this year. I just hope its not treated as a development year if things dont pan out very well after the first 30-35 games...becasue i hate missing the playoffs for a third year, and I think it will make Stevie vulnerable to Air Jordan's temptations.

The biggest issue to me is not merely frontcourt issues (lack of size, heart and rebounds!!) but that we are thin........on depth charts and three players are already starting the year with some questions on their physical conditioning (Rice, Colliers, well Cato is always like that!!!)....and that we will thrusting newbies (Eddie, TMo, even Langhi) for major minutes....

But there's always hope...and I hope come May Stevie is seeing the playoff from the court and not courtside

5. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

I appreciate your long, very objective post.

6. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Ok Rocket fans---what does panning out mean for Eddie Griffin?

7. drpepper

drpepper Member

Panning out- to stuff most of Tyson Chandler's shots and approach Eddy Curry in the 4th and begin to beat him unconcious!

Thats what panning out should mean to you.
    PS why does your username still include a player that isn't on your team?

8. rock

rock Member

Hopefully, we'll know if this player is special after the first few games. How does one know if he has panned out? By showing defensive intensity, a willingness to learn on the offensive end, rebounding, but most of all showing some good work ethic and determination. And he can prove this off the bench or starting.

He will be the Anti-Cato.