1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Kind of Celebrity Story

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Jul 18, 2007.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Any time Andy Dick gets the crap beaten out of him, birds sing and angels get their wings. :D

When Jon Lovitz administers the beating, it's double delicious! :D:D

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=720357f1-f481-4b98-8362-92d1f728b0d4

Lovitz Zings Dick in Standup Smackdown
    by Josh Grossberg
    Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:23:44 PM PDT

We didn't know he had it in him, but Jon Lovitz has made Andy Dick a punchline.

What was supposed to be a stand-up act at Hollywood's Laugh Factory last week turned into a knockdown drag-out as the former NewsRadio cohorts clashed, apparently over the death of Phil Hartman and Dick's voodoo skills.

Lovitz, 49, and Dick, 41, literally ran into each other at the vaunted comedy venue last Wednesday. Lovitz was still stewing over what he perceived as a tasteless Dick joke, in which the out-there comedian put "the Phil Hartman hex" on Lovitz, referring to the tragic murder of the former Saturday Night Live star by his drug-addled wife, who subsequently killed herself.

Lovitz asked Dick to apologize for the remark. Dick didn't, according to witnesses.

"Jon lost his temper and took Andy's head by the hair and smashed it a couple of times on the bar in the lobby," Laugh Factory owner Jamie Masada told E! Online Tuesday.

"Jon is a very gentle soul. It takes a lot to make him upset and we understood from everybody that Andy deserved what he got because you don't go around telling people 'I've got a spell on you and you're going to die.' [Dick] is known in the circle going around telling people he's the Prince of Darkness."

Lovitz and Hartman became close friends as members of Los Angeles' famed improv troupe the Groundlings in the 1980s, and it was Lovitz who helped get Hartman hired on SNL. Lovitz also replaced Hartman for the final season of NewsRadio, on which Dick costarred.

A year ago, during a chance encounter at a West Hollywood restaurant , Lovitz told the New York Post that Dick "looked at me and said, 'I put the Phil Hartman hex' on you—you're the next one to die.' "

Neither Dick nor his publicist have commented.

Lovitz signed lifetime performing contract with the Laugh Factory in May. Aside from his own stand-up schedule, Dick was recently roasted by Howard Stern on the shock jock's Sirius Satellite Radio show. He also costars in the Jessica Simpson comedy Blonde Ambition, due in theaters later this year.

Masada says that Dick's demented persona and guerrilla comedy routines can be off-putting to his peers.

"He has no consideration for other people...But hopefully this is a start for him to wake up. The comedy community is a family and you have to treat others with respect. I think this is, God willing, a wake-up call and he'll learn how to control himself and talk to people and be nice to people," said Masada.

"I'm hoping this is going to be over and he and Jon are going to move on and become friends."

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

What this doesn't say is that apparently Lovitz blames Dick for reintroducing Hartman's wife to coke, which sent her in a spiral that ended with Phil's death a month later.

Whether true or not, for Dick to make jokes about the death of Lovitz's best friend when Lovitz believes Dick had a hand in it is... stupid and tasteless.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Andy should press charges...regardless of what he said. Jon attacked him in a bar with witnesses. A crime was committed.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Here's the Chron story....mentions the coke and how much blood was coming from Andy Dick's face. :D

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/entertainment/4976323.html

Two funny guys are having a feud that isn't even close to being humorous.

According to the New York Post, the animus between Jon Lovitz and Andy Dick, which has its roots in the slaying of Phil Hartman a decade ago, exploded in a fight last week at an L.A. comedy club when Lovitz roughed up Dick.

Laugh Factory owner Jamie Masada said, "Jon picked Andy up by the head and smashed him into the bar four or five times, and blood started pouring out of his nose."

Lovitz and Dick reportedly have been feuding since a 1997 Christmas party at Hartman's house, five months before his wife, Brynn, fatally shot Hartman, then killed herself.

"Andy was doing cocaine, and he gave Brynn some after she had been sober for 10 years. Phil was furious about it — and then five months later he's dead," said Lovitz.

Last year, Lovitz related, a drunken Dick strolled up to his table at an establishment in West Hollywood, downed his guests' peach liqueur drinks, and "looked at me and said, 'I put the "Phil Hartman hex" on you — you're the next one to die.' I said, 'What did you say?' and he repeated it."

When the two ran into each other at the Laugh Factory last Wednesday, "I wanted him to say he was sorry for the 'Phil Hartman hex,' " Lovitz said. "First he says, 'I don't remember saying that.' Then he leans in and says, 'You know why I said it? Because you said I killed Phil Hartman.' Which I never said."

Of the fight, Lovitz said:

"I'm not proud of it ... but he's a disgusting human being."

Dick's rep said he had no comment on the feud.

Whew.

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

"Here's to you first-year-law-student-guy-who-can-tell-us-what-is-and-what-is-not-a-crime!"

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The question is: Who's going to come in defense of Andy Dick? Anyone? Anyone?

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Lovitz warned him, he said " If you don't shut up, I will kick your ass, yeah that's the ticket."

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what a dick! :cool:

but you dont make the hartman comment to one of his friends, especially dick since he actually worked with phil. He deserved what he got. But from lovitz, thats surprising...he is known as a nice guy. dont F with phil.

andy on coke?! noooooooo

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

didnt think it would be long for this to show up
    :rolleyes:

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"rrreeeaaalllll mmmmeeennnn oooffff gggeeeennnniiiuuusssss"
    - Corny singing guy

Rocket River

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    I Guess Jon really is the MASTER THESPIAN cause i never seen this one coming

Rocket River
    EAT FRESH!!

13. rememberPete

rememberPete Contributing Member

Sounds like a real dick move by Andy.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The odd thing is that Andy Dick was a friend of Phil Hartman's as well. I guess if he felt that John had said that he killed Phil he would be upset.

The problem is that Andy then used Phil's death as part of a stupid joke. I like Andy Dick, but I have no problem with what happened, though it could have been handled differently if both people had taken the time to understand what was really said.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Remind me to slam some of you guys heads into your monitor for your ridiculous comebacks at my comments. Oh...but no crime was committed. You just deserved it!

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm a huge Andy Dick fan. Although I acknowledge he is one of the world's biggest tools, he is just so damn funny because he pushes the boundaries so much. He had a hilarious mock reality show a few years ago on MTV I believe.

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Wow, interesting stuff. Especially since I'm a huge NewsRadio fan (dvd's still on regular rotation). Also crazy since both were friends of Hartman. If it's true about the previous history (Dick re-introducing coke) that's pretty horrible and I can understand Lovitz's feelings. Throw in the hex remarks (doesn't sound like he was joking, not even a tasteless one) and Dick had it coming big time.

As for Andy Dick, I think he goes into the realm of Andy Kaufman sometimes. I've read a review of a college show where he rambled on trying to piss off the audience and everyone walked out after only a few minutes. He didn't even make any attempts at jokes (at least for anyone not named Andy Dick).

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have never really liked Andy Dick in anything EXCEPT for his work on Newsradio. These comments make ME want to slam his face into a bar. And if it is true that he had anything to do with Phil getting killed, then I will hate that mother****er for the rest of my life. Phil Hartman's was one of the few Hollywood deaths that actually hit me hard because of how great he was in all his work and because of how good of a person he was.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Did he break your nose Andy? :p

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Andy Dick, Tom Green, etc...who cares?