1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"My job is to protect the country"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Mitch McConnell rebukes the tea party and finally puts country ahead of party.

Mitch McConnell Defends Allowing Debt Ceiling Vote

In a Friday campaign appearance in Louisville, McConnell said he had to "step up and lead," dismissing critics headed by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).

"My job is to protect the country when I can and to step up and lead on those occasions when it's required," McConnell said, according to WHAS-TV. "That's what I did."

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I bet Cruz will be re-elected twice before Texas wakes up from its self imposed idiocy

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think tea party fizzles out almost completely if a democrat is again elected as President.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Odd that The Turtle would grow a sack at this late stage of his life.

5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

my job is to protect this country from the Person who protects this country

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

McConnell wanted the bill to pass but didn't want to vote for it. Cruz made him.

How is that a bad thing?

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

My country's job is to protect my job from the person whose job it is to protect this country from the person whose job it is to protect this country.

8. Major

Major Member

McConnell didn't vote for the bill.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I heard an interesting story on NPR, yesterday, about a Communications consultant for the dems. He told them to stop using the phrase "raise the debt ceiling" and instead use the phrase "prevent defaulting on the debt." And "defaulting on the debt would be a catastrophe" as opposed to "irresponsible." Both rephrasings are closer to how most people describe their mortgage debt, so rings closer to home to them. Raising you debt ceiling sounds like increasing your credit, which is just spend, spend, spend. Whereas, defaulting on your mortgage is a tragedy.

That apparently worked much better.

He similarly helped the republicans by having them rephrase "eliminate the estate tax" to "eliminate the death tax."

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No one really cares about this country. They just care about themselves. Which ends up working out most of the time.

11. Commodore

Right, but Cruz exposed McConnell by forcing him to go on record wanting the bill to pass without technically voting for it.

McConnell votes no, but hopes yes.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Cruz exposed himself as a crazy man, and didn't really expose anything else at all.

13. Commodore

The GOP has the votes to stop the debt ceiling from being raised unconditionally.

Cruz forced McConnell to go on record refusing to exercise that power.

14. Major

Major Member

And destroying the country, given the House GOP's situation. So yeah, McConnell took his less-than-ideal option in order to protect the country. That's sort of the point. He couldn't get what he wanted, so instead of throwing a "my way or the highway" tantrum, he governed.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That is interesting. It's the pity of the world that this country is so easy to influence by simply changing a few words, changing a phrase. The thing described isn't any different than it was before, yet the perception is changed. We can be such a shallow people at times.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet

1 person likes this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The conditions the conservatives want to put on not defaulting on the debt are stupid and ahistorical. Austerity in a recession or period or slow growth is a fail.

It is time to move past simplistic conservative thinking that the US economy is like a household that needs to cut back on expenses because they can't afford to pay the credit bill.

Maybe another simplistic household example will help you though. A household is having a hard time paying its bill including its credit cards. Is the answer cutting back on spending and paying down the cards and other debt?

Not necessarily,. Perhaps the answer is to take out more debt so you can finish nursing school quicker and then have more income sooner to deal with the even bigger debt.

Similarly going more into debt if needed to make the country start growing faster is the way to go. Now it is true that some of the wealthy don't care if the economy grows faster and are mainly concerned about keeping inflation low at all costs or insuring that they do not have to pay more taxes in the future to pay off the debt, or preventing the the government having the money to regulate their pollution or their financial frauds, but this should not apply to a little guy like yourself, especially one who espouses only your own self interest as king.

18. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

FIFY.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

True that.

I guess the first priority of making Obama a one term president didn't work out so well; and after 5 years of obstruction it's nice to see some sanity. Plus hearing him kick the likes of Cruz in the teeth is just a bonus.

20. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Cruz is great kicking dems and rinos in the teeth!1

He will be a Senator as long as he wants..McConnel might lose this next election...what a dunce he is.