1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My House Got Robbed Today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 7, 2007.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

My statement wasn't contradictory or sarcastic. If everyone left all of their valuables outside their front door, there would be absolutely no need for burglars to break into a person's home. If all burglars refrain from breaking into homes, then the residents and the burglars will be safer. Since that was your goal, why would you think it was a bad idea to do that?
    I never said Joe Horn eliminated any crime, though I will now say he prevented the crime those two burglars were committing, and any future crimes they would have committed.
    If the burglars consistently face a gun when breaking into a house, then eventually they will stop breaking into houses. It is not enough for just Joe Horn to do it, but if the penalty for breaking and entering becomes death without trial, I am pretty sure burglaries will decrease. Your solution is to depend on the tender mercies of the people who think breaking into your home is a good idea. I, not surprisingly, disagree.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It is a strange coincidence that this happens right after the Joe Horn thing and the ensuing discussion... what are the chances? Well, assuming it is not made up, good thing they seem to have caught the guy.

3. bucket

bucket Member

I was being sarcastic. I was just pointing out that it's dumb to use an argument like, "A won't happen to you if you don't do B, therefore if you do B you deserve A".

4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

home invading thieves are vermin. always good to hear of their death.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It so happens that I happen to be a deranged neighbor with a lawnmower... :eek:

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice of you to basically call Sishir a liar, Jackie.

Trim Bush.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You should never be a good Samaritan in America. You can end up sued or in jail.

8. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

I'm with texx, I don't believe this story. The main reason I don't belive this story is because he said the police had someone in custody. That never happens, when a house gets robbed in Houston, the cops don't do a damn thing, even if you know who did it.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He lives in Minnesota. I tell you what... from now on, I won't believe anything you write here. That's fair, isn't it?

Trim Bush.

10. Invisible Fan

I don't think Rocketsjudoka has ever displayed behavior on here where he'd lie to make up a story.

Let's give fellow Clutchfans some credit before flinging baseless accusations.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I actually didn't. Please re-read.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for God sakes, they stole his HDTV. He wouldn't lie about that!
    Send the criminal to Guantanimo, that's straight up a terrorist.

13. Invisible Fan

We should be weary of the luddite jihad and their typewritten manifestos.

14. kikimama

kikimama Member

I don't understand, these people are usually armed who rob your house. If you make a wrong move, you will probably get hurt or die. Yet you feel sympathy for them? I dead thief is 1 less person less likely to harm another person. You may say materials are worth a life but that person will most likely take your life for your materials. I rather kill (if I had a gun, not an ax or sharp weapon) than be killed or let my family get hurt.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Tearing loose through your neighborhood with a shootgun to shoot 2 guys in the back, killing them, is hardly what I'd call being a good samaritan.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And what you're talking about is self-defense. If you are in your home and someone comes in, for any reason, I fully support your right to do whatever you need to do to protect your family. No question about it.

THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED HERE.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for your support. They are free to believe what they want about this. As I said before whether I am robbed or not that doesn't change my opinion on the issue and while it sucks to be robbed at least I can say now that I know where I stand when those values are put the test.

Others not might think so and others might even share that belief to begin with.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glad they caught him, still would like Joe Horn as my neighbor.

DD

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Yup, people who assume that all home invaders "just want to take stuff" are being way too trusting. Better safe than sorry.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is feeling sympathy for the robber. Believe me if the person they have in custody was caught with my TV I will be more than happy to testify against him and send him to jail.

There are a few issues regarding this situation, one is belief in what is proportional in regard to the crime. Death is clearly disproportionate to the burglary. The next is whether you believe in the possibility of redemption. There is no way of knowing whether or not this person will commit another crime and certainly no basis of knowing whether they would murder also. Just because one person commits one type of crime doesn't mean they will commit anytype of crime. For instance how many of you have shoplifted? If you lift peace of candy from a store doesn't mean you are willing to kill the store owner to get that candy.

Leaving aside those arguments though the main issue about these situations is putting yourself into the way of harm to defend someone else's property. I'm glad that I have neighbors looking out for each other but I don't want my neighbors putting there life, safety and freedom at risk just to protect my possessions.

Especially if you feel that burglars are potentially violent it makes no sense then to encourage civillians to confront them. Get a good description and call the police.