1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My House Got Robbed Today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The law says it's not your job.....

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Sorry this happened, I also wouldn't want someone to die just to save my stuff... unless of course that stuff is my guitar or my amp, then fire away! ;) ;)

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

my "stuff" is important. I worked hard.

actually, I just think people find thieves lowest of the low. people murder for all kinds of reasons, theives steal because they want something they didn't earn. that's so unamerican, and I'm not being facetious

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Really sorry to hear about this, Yao Ming Kicks Ass, and I really hope your cat is OK (rats?? Gross!!! :eek: ) and that you get your stuff back. Your neighbor did exactly the right thing. Of course, I agree with your take on the Horn Lunacy.

You are going to feel really violated for a long time and won't take leaving your pad in nearly the same light as you did before. That's just a fact. It may be so bad that you'll consider moving. I hope it doesn't come to that, which would be a hassle, but there you are. In the early '70's, when I was living alone in a garage apartment, my place was broken into. A ladder was taken from the garage underneath and put up to a window. The robber knew exactly where the valuables were (I had an excellent SLR and a bunch of lenses worth hundreds... big money back then, a few other items, and hidden very well), just when I'd be gone, that my neighbors weren't home (a Kramer across the hall... it was a double garage apt. above a 4 car garage, with a big 2 story duplex in front. all occupied and everyone gone. I was friends with them all and we were at a party) and I was, and remain, convinced it was someone I knew and had a damned good idea who it was. Just couldn't prove it without my own little WWIII. Shortly after that, I was lucky enough to get The Wonder Dog at the SPCA, who quickly grew into something no thief would want to deal with. Problem solved. Oh, and I brought my arsenal from my parent's gun cabinet, where I had kept it, not wanting it stolen, ironically enough. That was for my peace of mind, but The Wonder Dog was plenty.

Good luck on your return. This is a real bummer. :(

Trim Bush!

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

In light of this whole argument, I find this line of posts by Meowgi in this thread to be interesting.

Before I post this, if you reread the thread, I admit that I let my emotions get the better of me in that case with my family knowing the family of one of the victims in that case. It's weird to go back and read your old posts while wondering to yourself what the hell you were thinking when you posted something.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's exactly why I told him I was surprised by his reply. Because he's repeatedly stated that violence solves nothing and only leads to more suffering.

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Took me by suprise too. Hypocrisy, a change of views, or just plain crazy?

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly the attitude i am talking about. The law doesnt say i have to whipe my ass either, but i do it.

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

You have to feel for the shrimps on Meowgi's plate.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think they're screwed. :D

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

More like skewered ...

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

hmmmm

skewered shriiiiiimps

[​IMG]

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Who me?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SgEthbDmJYk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SgEthbDmJYk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

14. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Come back with a response that isn't stupid. You can not take the law in to your own hands. You can't tell people you are going to kill someone and then go do it.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Death Penalty is generally choice between executing someone and having that person spend the rest of their life in prison. This issue is about confronting a criminal and possibly killing them or letting them get away and most likely never be caught. I don't think many would prefer Joe Horn kill the burglars if the alternative was that they would be put in jail for a long time.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the only stupid response is your assumption that people will go around killing other people. Again, you don't have to kiss someone to stop them. You are automatically going to the extreme. H

the point is valid. Just because the law says i dont "have to do something" doesnt mean i couldnt/shouldnt do it.

Plus, stepping in to stop, prevent or assist in stopping a crime isnt really taking the law into ones own hands, imo.

17. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

How is it not taking the law into your own hands? It's pretty much the definition of taking the law into your own hands.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You're having sympathy for a man who looks more than likely to have murdered two criminals. By extension, the murderer deserves to rot in jail.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Your sarcasm will only get you so far, not to mention totally contradictory.

You speak as if Joe Horn eliminated all violent crime in America. When in fact he realistically increased the probability of more gun related crimes.

But it appears you agree with me that there will always be burglars. Now, would you prefer a burglar who took a chance at being unarmed vs one who made sure he brought one with him. We're talking about YOUR wives and children (remember?). Once again a life isn't worth a VCR or even HDTV - it goes both ways.

20. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

That wipe your ass comparison that you used to attempt to prove your nonsense belief that a person can choose to put himself in a dangerous situation, after having being warned multiple times not to engage with the criminals by a trained representative of law enforcement and then do so anyway and then go on to claim he was defending himself is utterly stupid.

Joe Horn tried to stop, prevent or assist in stopping a crime when he called 911. Joe Horn let his gun toting eye for an eye redneck attitude get the best of him when he ignored the dispatcher. The reason people scream for tighter gun control laws is because of impulsive hot headed idiots like Joe Horn.