1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My favorite cartoonist profiled - Aaron McGruder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Woofer, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-tm-mcgruder17apr25.story
    COVER STORY
    He's Gotta Fight the Powers That Be
    Aaron McGruder's In-Your-Face Cartoon Strip, "The Boondocks," Takes No Prisoners--Black or White. How Did This Nice Young Man From the Suburbs Get So Mad?
    By Greg Braxton, Greg Braxton is a Times staff writer.

"Aaron McGruder graduated from the University of Maryland with a degree in Afro-American studies. Or was it African-American studies? I don't know—it was some ol' Black stuff, that much is definite. He has been a syndicated cartoonist since 1999, when 'The Boondocks' first launched in newspapers around the country. He has since moved to Los Angeles, put a couple books out, been on TV a bunch of times—you know the usual. 'He's controversial.' 'He got an Image Award.' Blah, blah, blah. Nobody cares. When it's all said and done, his life just isn't that interesting.

"Aaron is a Gemini."

— "About the Author" note written by Aaron McGruder from "The Boondocks" collection, "A Right to Be Hostile."

The angriest black man in America sits in his living room, far from relaxed. As usual, he is engaged in battle.

As the sun disappears and the room grows darker, Aaron McGruder hunkers down on a plush couch that almost swallows his slight frame. The combative creator of "The Boondocks" comic strip is taking on his latest opponent, temporarily putting aside his usual targets—President Bush, Condoleezza Rice, Donald Rumsfeld, Puff Daddy, Will Smith, Whoopi Goldberg, Justin Timberlake, the BET and UPN networks, flag-wavers, black movies such as "My Baby's Daddy," and the war in Iraq.

The cartoonist, writer, producer, unofficial prophet of the hip-hop generation is fighting a cold. And at this moment, on a chilly late winter evening, the cold is kicking his behind.

"I'm OK, I'm OK," says the warrior, who has little appetite but is forcing himself to snack. "Just trying to do too much, got run-down. It will be all right."

It's a battle the 29-year-old can't afford to lose. In a few days, McGruder will fly to Korea to oversee animated footage for a TV pilot based on his edgy comic strip about two black brothers from Chicago who reluctantly move to the suburbs with their gruff grandfather. The strip is syndicated in about 300 newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post, making it one of the country's more popular syndicated strips. "A Right to Be Hostile," a "Boondocks" collection from its first five years, was a recent bestseller.

There has never been a comic strip in American newspapers quite like "The Boondocks"—a blunt, critical remix of race relations, pop culture icons, black politics, rappers and racists. The strip mirrors much of McGruder's perspective about current affairs, as seen through the eyes of the militant 10-year-old Huey and the gangsta-wannabe Riley, who is "8-ish."

With his once-fashionably unkempt Afro now trimmed to a smoother shortness that highlights his subtly handsome features, McGruder may look like a young scholar more at home in the library than on the front lines of political discourse. But his low-key demeanor hides a passionate, plain-spoken activist who is seldom at a loss for words—particularly words that bite the powers that be. His college lectures often sell out, filled with fans who come to hear humorous commentary but wind up hearing an artist consumed by conspiracy theories and concern for his country.

And woe to the unsuspecting person who approaches McGruder at a party to challenge his views.

"I'm ready to fight outside work," he says. "If someone wants to come up and start a political conversation with me, it can quickly turn into an argument. People don't understand—a lot of this [expletive] is not funny to me."

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Alright! An Isley Brothers reference:

Time is truly wastin’
    There’s no guarantee
    Smile’s in the makin’
    You gotta fight the powers that be
    Got so many forces
    Stayin’ on the scene
    Givin’ up all around me
    Faces full a’ pain
    I can’t play my music
    They say my music’s too loud
    I kept talkin about it
    I got the big run around
    When I rolled with the punches
    I got knocked on the ground
    With all this bull**** going down

Time is truly wastin’
    There’s no guarantee
    Smile’s in the makin’
    I don’t understand it
    People wanna see’ ya
    Those that got the answers
    Red tape in the way
    I could take you in easy
    That’s just half the fun’ oh boy
    Seeking satisfaction
    Keeps me on the run
    I can’t play my music
    They say my music’s too loud
    I kept talkin about it
    I got the big run around
    When I rolled with the punches
    I got knocked on the ground
    With all this bull**** going down
    Time is truly wastin’
    There’s no guarantee
    Smile’s in the makin’

If you I can ’ we got the power
    Fight it’ got the power fight it........baby’ baby
    Fight it’ fight the power

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I LOVE the Boondocks!

[​IMG]

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Best daily comic strip in America.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Is Boondocks in the Hous Chroncle?

6. mc mark

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, at least it was when I could afford the paper.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Boondocks is good, but still pretty spotty. It will be interesting to see if McGruder hits his stride like Trudeau in the mid 70's through the early 80's. What did people think of last week's Doonesbury where BD had his leg blown off in Iraq and he was shown without a helmet for the first time. It 's a far cry from Family Circus.

9. mc mark

gifford1967 yeah, last weeks' Doonesbury was crazy! On Monday when they ran the first strip of the week and a couple of the panels went black I really thought BD was going to die! I was like "WTF"!!!

10. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

The Boondocks is the only comic strip I read everyday, but you're right: it comes and goes. He had a week recently that was borderline genius. But he has weeks when it's pretty mediocre. McGruder is still a kid, too.

Overall, though, it's my favorite comic out there.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Today's Boondocks is freaking hilarious!

[​IMG]

12. GreenVegan76

Instant classic. This may be his best one since the Thanksgiving strip after Sept. 11, 2001.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

My favorite is when he gets what he thinks is a spam message from SonofMan@YeshuabenYosef.com with the subject line of "Please help."

The message read:

"To whom it may concern: I have been hijacked by crazed right-wingers. Please assist. This is not spam. God bless.

Jesus"

Freaking awesome.

14. mc mark

15. mc mark

This week's script...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GreenVegan76

Aaron McGruder is the best young mainstream cartoonist working today. And he's only like 12 years old.